Lymph nodes - gone?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lymph nodes - gone?? Lymph nodes - gone??

Unread 06-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Lymph nodes - gone??

Okay, I've accepted that I have cancer, and that I have to have a radical hysterectomy (6/27). But they said I also have to have all the lymph nodes in the area removed too for examination and all. But don't I need those lymph nodes. Won't my legs get all swollen and big if that fluid doesn't have anywhere to drain? Has anyone else had their lymph nodes taken out during a radical? Did you get elephant legs?

I sure wish I could hug all the princesses that have surgery every day, and try to make it easier for those ladies in waiting. Its a scarey time.

Polly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2003, 04:04 AM
Lymph nodes - gone??

Hi ((Polly)),

I also was diagnosed with cervical cancer and I had a radical hysterectomy with lymph node removal. I had no problems with fluid build-up. In fact, I never even gave it a thought during recovery.

I know how scary it is to receive a cancer diagnosis, and finding HysterSisters helped me keep my sanity while waiting for my surgery date. I hope that you will feel the same. If you haven't checked it out already, there is a message board section called Cancer Concerns: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=6 You may find posting and reading there, in addition to Pre-Op, will also help alleviate some of your worries and concerns.

Best wishes and lots of s
Unread 06-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Lymph Nodes

I am having my TAH/BSO with bladder polyp removed. My gyn told me that an oncologist would be on stand by because my condition is pre-cancer in the lining of the uterus and they will be sending to pathology while I'm out and if cancer cells are found he will also take out pelvic lymph nodes. (I had bladder cancer in Jan) That was the first time I heard of pelvic lymph nodes. I too am worried but I'm trusting they know what's best. Does anyone know what the purpose of the pelvic lymph nodes are? Just curios if mine have to come out they have to come out but I am nervous.
Mariann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2003, 05:34 AM
some experience w/ this

Hi. I had a radical hyst. last year and they took out 32 lymph nodes in the abdominal/pelvic area. For the first week after surgery I had several drains to reduce the swelling. After the drains were taken out, I did experience some swelling/numbness mostly in my upper thighs and pelvis. I had physical therapy and massages that helped tremendously. One of my legs will still get a little swollen in the panty-line area now if I try to do way too much (too much sitting, too much walking, or wear clothes too tight) but it isn't something that bothers me. I'm just aware of it and try to wear loose clothes when I get home.

The purpose of the nodes is to direct the lymphatic fluids through your body. They are extremely small and the entire system is about the size of spider webs. Eventually the fluid learns to get around the obstacles (swollen tissue) and missing nodes. There's quite a bit of information on the internet about this....usually related to post-op effects of breast cancer surgeries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register