first time after hysterectomy sex help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

first time after hysterectomy sex help first time after hysterectomy sex help

Unread 10-18-2006, 06:28 AM
first time after hysterectomy sex help

My husband and I had sex last night I am now six weeks post total hysterectomy and both my ovaries are out due to server endo, polyps, etc. After sex I notices spotting and today my stomach hurts so bad and I am still spotting is this normal? It was sooo dry I used ky but it felt like the first time ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2006, 06:31 AM

My doctor told me that I'd probably spot the first time. He also said that I could resume sex whenever I was ready, so of course, I did. I spotted and was a little sore, too, but I figured it was from using muscles that had been cut through.

I was dry too, but I think it was because I was terrified it was going to hurt. I'd try again if I were you, and if it keeps up, call the doctor.
Unread 10-18-2006, 06:51 AM

Hi welchcm35
The dryness could have caused the spotting. I specifically asked when I was released what to do if I had any bleeding when we had intercourse and my dr said to call. You might want to call just to make sure. Drs differ and it isn't really unusual for there to be some spotting. My concern is that it is still continuing today.
I was very sore afterward. It was like an aching in my abdomen. I think sex is pretty traumatic to this area that is so newly healed. Just because your incisions are healed up doesn't mean you aren't tender. This happened for a few months for me although it did improve all a long.
You could read through the Post op sex checkpoint for some added information on resuming intimacy. My own feeling is that six weeks is still very early in your healing. The tissue in the vagaina is still healing and not as elastic as it will be as you continue to heal. Don't lose heart. It generally gets better each week, that's what I found anyway.
's,Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2006, 03:39 AM

Welch, were you cleared by your doc to have sex? We had our hysterectomies (total) the same day and from my calculations, it's been 5 weeks post-op as of this past Monday and my 6 week post-op appt is not until next week. My doc was very, very clear that I could not have sex until I saw him then. I'm sure it will get better with each time!
Unread 10-19-2006, 12:26 PM

Welch, I too had my op on the same day as you and we are at 5 1/2 weeks now not 6. I don't have my follow up consultation until 8 November so am not going to do anything until then when I definately know things are OK.
Unread 10-19-2006, 02:06 PM

I had three checkups one a week after one three weeks after and one 5/12 weeks he said I was close enought to six weeks and I could resume normal activities including sex....so of course I did.
Unread 10-19-2006, 02:11 PM

I know each person is different as is their doctor and what the doctor recommends. I wish mine would have told me that it would hurt a lot afterwards he didn't tell me that he just told me to have my husband put ky on himself and that is what we did. I just wanted to know if it was normal to spot a little after and to have your stomach hurt a lot the next day. I am thinking although I was given the ok to have sex that maybe I should wait another week given what recently happened.

personally I had a c-section 8 years ago and I don't remember it hurting this much the first time. I think this surgery was a bit more intense and the healing takes a lot longer than six weeks but that is just my opinion.
Unread 12-28-2006, 08:34 AM
In the same boat

Just had sex for the first time since surgery, was too scared to know if I would have enjoyed it...poor hubby was so gentle, (he was scared too)...I cried afterwards, was just so relieved that the pressure of it was over...the sex was'nt bad at all, very little discomfort, but the next morning I felt like I did after my surgery. S O R E and achy. Could hardly do anything but lie on the couch, hope this does'nt last long. This whole oreal has been one problem after another. I too agree that the 6 week healing time is inaccurate. I have had 3 post op infects (UTI, KIDNEY, and navel infections) topped off by being sick 4 out of the last 6 weeks. Your body cannot heal if you have an infection, now top that with the flu and a cold...I still hurt alot and am always tired...
Unread 12-28-2006, 10:21 AM

I had a LAVH and left both ovaries. Dr said we could have sex after my 4 week check, which is next week. I DON'T THINK SO! Especially after reading your posts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register