Fear of sex after vaginal cuff... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of sex after vaginal cuff... Fear of sex after vaginal cuff...

Unread 09-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Fear of sex after vaginal cuff...

Had a really SUCKY day yesterday. I had my cervix removed w/ my hysterectomy and i read something online that women with cervix removals have to have vaginal cuffs. Well, that was expected, but the part that bothered me was the con of vaginal cuff. It read "cuffs at time tend to be to short and cause women a lot of discomfort sexually, and have to be reconstructed." Well, that put me in a horrible mood. I started imagining having sex, and the penis not fitting because of my 'short cuff' and being in pain and having to have ANOTHER SURGERY! Ladies,....I have so much faith in my gyn. that she did the right thing. She probably did the surgery with her evey closed. It just scared me reading yet another con of a hysterectomy. I was so bothered by the article i made myself sick. Ladies...I thank you all for your posts on your progress, it's really helping me get thru this. But more than ever, i need ya'll...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Re: Fear of sex after vaginal cuff...

Hi sweetie!!!
First of all, I think it's normal to be nervous because there has been a change to our bodies. My friend said she feels like having a vag cuff "raised the roof" instead of shortened it. That sounded hopeful to me. My dr said that if it has been shortened at all, to remember that it's a very stretchy place and will stretch to accomodate.
I haven't had sex yet, so I can't tell you from experience, but I bet some sisters here will come along to say it's all good!!! I hope. : ) I'm getting closer, and nervous too!!!!

Nicki
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM

I can tell you nothing change for me as far as sex, other than no pain from the cervix. I am not shorter at all. They are right in that even if you are, that part of your body is made to stretch. You are going to be just fine. Sometimes you can read to much of the bad stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Hi Lady S,
I can relate to your worries; I had them too and in my case my vagina really is a lot shorter. But that is mainly b/c I have had a radical hyst where they also took away the upper part of my vagina (I have cerv. ca).
In the beginning my husband and I had to get used to this new situation, but we're getting along real fine and it doesn't hurt. It just takes a little more time (read: foreplay) and that ain't a punishment either!
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:53 PM

tee hee, Anna! I like that ("and that ain't a punishment either!"). Thank you for sharing that. I'm sorry for everything you've been through, and Thank GOD that you're safe. I hope you are feeling well!

Seabutterfly- thank you, too!
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Welcome. I am sure it will all go fine for you too!
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Hi Lady S, I had everything removed too, including ovaries. I just went for my 6 week check up yesterday. I can not have sex yet so I have no idea what it will be like, but I must wait a couple more weeks because my vaginal cuff is not healing. My doctor put silver nitrate on the cuff to help it heal. Hopefully, it will work. Good luck to you and all the sisters!
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM

I have a cuff as well...There was some stretching that had to happen (KY Warming is my best friend and my S.O. isn't complaining either!) and some slight bleeding the first couple of times, but nothing I didn't expect or couldn't handle.

I have no complaints!
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:39 PM

I'm almost 8 weeks post op and we've done the deed twice - both times I've been scared to death. To be completely honest, it did hurt a little. Not a lot, but a little. And the pain could at least partly be because I was so scared. We took our time and went VERY slowly, and by the end I was less scared and actually enjoying myself. I spotted a little both times, but not too much. DH said it felt "different," but he couldn't identify exactly how and said it wasn't bad different, just different different.

Hope that wasn't TMI. Just take it very slow, and put yourself in a position where you can control what's happening. Even if you were shortened, like others have said it's very stretchy in there, so I would guess that after a few times it will be able to accommodate whatever. Good luck. I understand being scared, but you can do this!
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Thank you ladies for all your responses.. My anxiety has been so high worrying about this. My hubby has consoled me about this concern and told me not to worry, everything'll be fine. He is soooo good to me and so are ya'll. I love all of you, and thats from the bottom of my heart. I love this site! Everyone is so understanding. Noone resonds with disgust or attitude and we really need that. Thank ya'll for the insight. I have stayed away from all those search engines on hysterectomies and im only here, with my hystersisters!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register