post-menopausal hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-menopausal hyst post-menopausal hyst

Unread 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM
post-menopausal hyst

Loads of info on what to expect post op for you pre-menopausal types: what about us oldies? Do we still expect depression/exhaustion etc? After all, our bits are no longer required, and we've done the menopause already. What about physical symptoms? Are they different for us wrinklies? Any info out there for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Re: post-menopausal hyst

I don't know of any differences if its just the uterus. If its the ovaries too, my GYN onc says it mainly depends on if the ovaries were still producing any estrogen at all post menopausal, some do make a little bit. I think some of it is the reason for the hyst, too, and the type. But otherwise the effects are the same and vary by person. If your post meopausal ovaries were fully "done" then there shouldn't be a change. I'm going back to remove ovaries 3/18 so I'll see. We are all women so most of the uterus stuff is the same----with individual variation, like anything.
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Hi Smilingfox ~~

Welcome to HysterSisters!! I'm 58 and had a TLH on 2/18/10 for postmenopausal bleeding. I kept my ovaries because my dr felt they were healthy and even tho I was menopausal, they still secrete some helpful hormones.

I've had no emotional problems since my surgery, no raging hormones, no hot flashes, etc. I feel so fortunate that I was able to go thru my menopause gradually years ago.

My recovery has been smooth. Each day I can feel an improvement. I am taking it VERY EASY. We only have one chance to heal correctly and I don't want to mess things up. Even when we look healed on the outside, there is major healing still happening inside. I don't return to work until April 12.

The recuperation is tiring. Most days I have felt very mellow. I just listen to my body, take things nice and slow, and don't overdo. I have had spotting/discharge for these 3 weeks, although it looks like it might be coming to an end (fingers crossed!!) For the past week I have been wearing an abdominal binder during the day which helps me feel more secure. I am pleased with how I am progressing and don't regret the surgery at all.

If I can be of any help to you, if you have more questions, just let me know. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and easy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Hello,
I had a TAH/BSO plus a surprise hernia operation and pneumonia in the hospital on January 12th. I am 52 and have been post-menopausal for about 1 1/2 years. Personally, I am so glad to have everything out, I was having too much trouble and our main concern was Ovarian Cancer, which thankfully, I do not have.
Since I have been home, I have not noticed anything different in my menopause symtoms. I still get hot flashes just like before, they aren't worse and I still wake up some nights, like before. That is really it for me. I haven't been too emotional. My recovery has been slow due to the pneumonia and 2 surgeries instead of one (I also had 2 surgeries 1 1/2 years ago) so that is 4 separate surgeries in less than 2 years, but I am coming along nicely. Whatever you do, take this time to rest and recover, DO NOT overdo it. I stayed in my pjs for weeks!!! It just felt good on my belly plus then everyone around you realizes that you are healing still and they don't expect as much. As soon as I started dressing and occasionally cooking, it's like I am fully recovered, which is not the case. So take care of YOU! Your body will thank you. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. and I wish you all the best for your surgery and your recovery!
Colleen
Unread 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM

I was post-menopausal (about a year) when I had my LSH/BSO last September. Since then the two major things that I've noticed are the hot flashes (they're much worse than before) and my skin seems to be a lot more dry. I've had no decrease in my energy level and I couldn't sleep before so that hasn't really changed one way or the other. As far as emotions, I quit riding that roller coaster when I went through menopause. The monthly PMS prior to menopause was much worse that anything I've experienced in menopause or after my hysterectomy. I was just glad to get it over with. I kept having post-menopausal bleeding and now I'll never have to worry about that again!! Good luck.
Unread 03-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for posting this. I am 56 and scheduled for a TAH-BSO on Apr. 6 due to a large ovarian cyst and polyps. I am having the surgery done by a gyne-oncologist due to concern about cancer. However my CA-125 is low and I am feeling well so I am pretty confident it will be OK. I have been menopausal for about 9 years after a Uterine Fibroid embolization. I too was wondering if I would have any new symptoms like hot flashes after my surgery. From the sound of it I probably won't. I never had too much trouble and didn't need HRT. I am a bit worried that I will take longer to heal because of my age and weight and general lack of fitness. I will just have to see how it goes. I spent the last month redecorating my bedroom so I will have a cheery place to recover! I also have an appointment with my family doc to have my anti-sdpressant prescription upped a bit just in case.
Hope it goes well for you, Smiling Fox!
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:47 AM

CanTeach,
Good luck on your surgery!! You sound confident so I will say I pray there is no cancer!! It probably will take you a little longer but just know that is ok and take care of yourself first. Rest, rest, rest. I am 8 weeks now and I still have to rest. I have had a couple of days of non-stop this weekend so Monday will be a pj and bed day. But you will feel better!!
I had a TAH/BSO too but also a surpise hernia operation and I got pneumonia in the hospital. You may recover quicker but most of all, good luck to you!!!
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Hi smilingfox,

I'm almost 55 and had a TAH/BSO almost 6 weeks ago. I had been post menopausal for 2 years prior to a "period" last September. I also had large uterine fibroids.

Menopause had gone well for me. I had no wild mood swings or depression and only minor hot flashes and night sweats. They felt a lot like blushing with a little sweat on my face and around my breasts and lasted less than a minute. The first week after the surgery, I had a couple at night and then didn't notice much until the last week or so. Now, they seem to be a little more frequent, at least 2 or 3 every night. Before surgery, they seemed to come in cycles, so maybe that will be the case now, too. I'll have to wait and see.

As far as recovery from surgery, mine went very well. I was home from the hospital 2 days afterward and doing little things right away, mainly getting meals, doing dishes, and packing my husbands lunches. I didn't take the steps for the first week and then limited the number of times and built that up gradually. That's when I started doing the laundry. I was allowed to drive at 3 weeks and didn't have any problems/pain with that. I moved slowly kind of like my 77 year old mom who has bad hips, knees, and ankles for the first couple weeks. With everything I did, I made sure to rest in between, even when I didn't feel like I needed to. I think I'm over a big 'hump' now, because the last 2 days I've been very busy and didn't remember to rest and was none the worse for it.

I was very fortunate to have only minor pain and didn't need prescription pain killers. I mainly noticed pain when I stood up after sitting or laying or when I coughed or sneezed and those were only momentary and pretty much gone after 2 weeks. After that, the incision area remained a bit tender/bruised feeling, but not painful. The occasional gas pains were actually the worse pains that I had! I really think not having to take the narcotics helped me recover more quickly. Prior to surgery, I spent a month doing body toning stretches/exercises that I think also helped my recovery.
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks to all of you more "mature" ladies ... it helps to hear everyone's story. I guess each person's recovery is different but it seems like there are many definitions of a "normal" recovery. Your stories are helping me to prepare for the unexpected. I'll listen to my doctor and to my body and try to take things as they come.
The good news is that I retired this year so don't have to worry about rushing back to work. The bad news is that we had a celebratory trip to Ireland planned for May which we have postponed indefinitely. Once I am back to normal we'll set it in motion again.
As far as the cancer goes...i am always an optimist but have decided to be a rather pessimistic optimist until I get the news!
I'll let you all know how it goes.
Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register