This may seem like the last thing I should be wondering | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This may seem like the last thing I should be wondering This may seem like the last thing I should be wondering

Unread 03-31-2011, 05:44 AM
This may seem like the last thing I should be wondering

This is somewhat graphic and personal, but I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on my questons.

My doc stressed absolutely NOTHING find it's way into the vagina until 6 wks post op. I see him Monday and will request clarification. Does that mean NO stimulation of any part of my 'girl' at all? Am I not to become aroused at all until it's been 6 weeks? What might happen if I do?

I'm apprehensive and at the same time curious to know if other forms of sexual stimulation will be the same. Like, will everything else still work the same? I had LAVH a week ago today and have felt pretty good. Minimal pain and almost no swelling. I think my boyfriend is afraid to touch me in any way physical after the multiple times my doctor worked 'no intercourse' and 'absolutely nothing inserted' into his post-op conversation with him. Should we refrain from any and all touching? Has anyone else had these questions?

I know in the big picture, this shouldn't be a main focus, but I'm really curious. My boyfriend and I enjoyed an active sex life prior to surgery and I'm hopeful we will again once we've been given the green light. I just don't know how I can avoid feeling 'in the mood' and not becoming aroused for 6 weeks. If it's essential to healing that we avoid any and all sexual contact, does anyone have any tips on how to defuse my libido should I become aroused too soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Re: This may seem like the last thing I should be wondering

I asked my dr about this since she gave the same instructions. She said if I felt up to external stimulation to go ahead, but no oral! She said orgasms are fine. Me and dh have been fooling around like high school kids lol!!
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:21 AM

I had the same discussion with my dr. 6 weeks is way too long for total abstinence if you ask me She gave me similar instructions of no penetration. At 2 1/2 weeks I was allowed external stimulation. As long as you can remember to not get carried away. I know that absolutely nothing is to be inserted into the vagina.

I would certainly contact your dr since many have differing opinions. Better to be safe then sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM

You need to contact your doctor to ask what is okay for you. Some doctors instruct absolute pelvic rest meaning no stimulation of any kind. Orgasms increase blood flow to healing areas and not all doctors feel that is safe and okay depending on your surgery and your body.

It is always better to be safe than sorry so call your first!

Unread 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM

I know it hurt if I got aroused up until week 5. The muscles contracting in that area did not like it. So I was very careful.
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:31 PM

I listened and obeyed!!! There was NOTHING goin anywhere near any "girl" parts on me!! I wanted everything internally to heal completely! And my oncologist did the same....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the vagina AT ALL!! I think that was pretty clear. And if my DH couldnt wait...well sucks to be him. I wasnt going to risk any infection from bateria introduced into my body...tearing of any of the sutures in my vaginal cuff...or bleeding because the walls of the vagina are still so irritated from the procedure.
Worth the wait. And not a big deal to me how long my oncologist told me to wait. This is a major surgery...and waiting is the least of what i went thru.
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM

Sara,

I'm w/ you. I was just cleared on 03-28-11. I'm very apprehensive about "getting busy." And I believe my husband is also.

All in due time for me.
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM

gypsywoman.....i agree! Sex...foolin around...touching me "there" was out of the question for my husband and I!! He did not even THINK to mention it to me!! My gosh....we have just undergone major...traumatic surgery!!! i understand we all have it for different reasons....some more emotionally charged for others...but you HAVE to let your internal physical being HEAL!! I dont care how long it takes!! It wouldnt have mattered to me if the doctor would have told me a YEAR!! As long as he also added...."you will be fine my dear. and live a long healthy life" i was good with whatever his instructions were!! Even if he told me to go stand on my head in the corner...i would have complied!!! LOL
Sometimes....you have to put things in perspective and remember...this was done to improve our health...no matter what the reason..we just didnt wake up one morning and say..."i dont have anything to do today...think i will go and have all my plumbing cut out"...
Take your time...if he LOVES YOU....it wont matter one bit how long it takes YOU to be comfortable and ready. I stand by that then...i stand by that NOW. I feel my oncologist has alot more education, training and experience in these matters...he is the professional...and HE is the one I listen too.
Glad to meet you gypsywoman!!!
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:02 PM

I didn't risk oral or anything like that, but I did do self stimulation. After the surgery and I was still alive (one of my fears), I was very stimulated. Sexy dreams and thoughts. So, when the doctor gave clearance, I did external self stimulation. No problems. No issues. No desire to go further.

Talk to your doctor.
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM

Hey Sister,
My bf asked my gyn about sex, the end result was this...we were both told that we cannot have intercourse...but everything else yes...I was about wk 4. So, we waited about a wk after that...and had oral sex...the only deal was...i wasnt very happy with my side of it cuz i didnt feel anything like before...
Today we just got back from the gyn and she said that we have to wait until 8wks total time...which sucks because my birthday is tomorrow...and he had plans...now they are on hold for 3 wks...if not longer...
But make sure you just get clarification with your gyn/surgeon first...and take it easy the first time...and times after that...hope this helped...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register