Hot Flash from He**? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot Flash from He**? Hot Flash from He**?

Unread 06-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Hot Flash from He**?

I'm 6 weeks post-op today from a TAH BSO and I've been doing good. I'm not on any HRT, my doc said when I start with symptons he'll prescribe. Have had no mood swings or night sweats or any signs of menopause before today.

Well today I was awakened from a nap feeling like I was set on fire! I had no idea they could be so awful. I turned bright red all over and was hot to touch like a bad sunburn, skin was stinging. Heart racing fast, trouble breathing and felt like my body was swelling. I think my skin was just tight like from a sunburn for a few minutes. All in all lasted around 15 minutes. We figured must be a hot flash.

Ok here comes the embarrassing part - my DH called 911. I had quite a few ant bites last night and thought it was a delayed reaction . We thought it was related to that because it seemed so severe, so fast. They said no that would have happened last night. Checked vitals and said call back if I needed. Talked to my nurse and she said It sounded like a hot flash, everyone's different and if it is, I'll have another and to call. I guess I can start on an HRT then.

If this is the usual hot flash then I'll take back my ovaries please. Anyone this severe? I WAS NOT expecting this.

Thanks - Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Hot Flash from He**?

Everyone's hot flashes are different. My started 3 weeks after surgery. My dr & I had discussed it before surgery and since my family history did not indicate using HRT we are trying to do without. He said he would only put me on HRT for 3-5 years. My grandmother had hot flashes into her 80s, so did my mom. Why bother with 3-5 years when I would just be putting it off the inevitable. Anyway...
But boy what an adventure. My first one I was sitting in my recliner working, I work PT from home. I first felt hot deep inside. Then it moved out and I got the sweats. Then a chill to the bones after. But mine only last a couple minutes. It is just on my upper body. A friend said she gets them from her knees up. Sometime I get the red flush, sometimes I don't. I guess it depends on the situation. Oh, another friend said she puts a pantyliner in her bra since she got so damp between her boobs! lol.
Good luck.
Unread 06-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Hot Flash from He**?

I'm 24, had my hyst at 22, so therefore my surgical menopause was quite severe. Before my HRT straightened out, mine were just horrible. I felt like my skin was crawling, my scalp, I felt like I was on fire, and just dripped sweat everywhere - it was gross! After a while on HRT they were just like mild warm flushes. Now that I'm off HRT (for my own reasons - I have a history of severe endometriosis) I still get them like in the beginning, but not as bad - I guess I've learned to expect it, like I can feel them coming on, and they pass quickly. But I know what you mean, because when I had them at first, they felt like they lasted forever! I felt kinda like I was having an anxiety attack, because my heart would beat fast and all that. I think the most disturbing thing was when I would sweat from my head and it just felt like my skin and scalp was crawling - ewww - it really freaked me out. But I learned ways to kinda deal w/the symptoms, and it really did get better over time, either with or without HRT (for me anyway).
I just wanted you to know that I sympathize with you and I've been there. And I hope it will get better for you like it got better for me. Take care, and stay cool!!!
Love, Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Hot Flash from He**?

Oh, also, a trick that someone showed me was to put ice on your wrists - cools you down in seconds! I use it every time I get a hot flash!
Unread 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Hot Flash from He**?

I didn't start getting hot flashes until the 2nd week after my surgery. I was using the hot flash cocktail on the hormone jungle thread with promensil and natural progesterone cream. I did well. About week 10 things started getting rough for me. I got insomnia. I got a prescription for ambien and it helped. Then week 11 things got worse for me. I was one day shy of week 12. I felt bummed about everything, insomnia, not like myself, getting more hot flashes and night sweats. I started hrt and with in a few hours I felt alot better in 24 hours I felt like myself again.

Do what is best for you. If you decide to go with out HRT you may want to try the hot flash cocktail.

If you decide to go on hrt I have one suggestion if your doctor gives your a prescription for a patch make sure it is marked to have the brand. The generics are alot bigger, don't stick as well, and they are colored so they are noticeable.
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Hot Flash from He**?

Thanks for all your help, I think I had the anxiety with it all and made it worse. This place is a life saver for me! The only wierd thing is I didn't sweat at all, not one drop. That might have helped me cool off faster. I have insomnia but had that before the surgery. Seems to be worse since. I have ambien but doesn't always work. But I have the message boards to sit up and read - lol.
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Hot Flash from He**?

I have the anxiety type that it's almost like a feeling of deja vu then there it is...When the day is finally over and they stop(usually they only last a day) ....well, it's like I'm a new person. I guess we all react differently but I just can't see (for me) taking HRT as they started about 1 1/2 yrs before my hyst and I'd just be putting off the inevitable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register