Weight Poll gain or lost - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Poll  gain or lost Weight Poll gain or lost

Unread 03-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

Hi Maywee,
Well, I initially lost some weight because my appetite decreased, then at around 4-5 weeks post op it really increased! I haven't gotten back to my normal exercise routine yet as I am waiting for the 6 week mark(next monday). I think the inactivity and boredom got to me. I tend to be an emotional eater. But I am only talking 5 or 6 lbs, which will come off pretty easy once I get back to the weights. You know what I think it boils down to, is what body type are you? If you tend to carry a little extra weight, then you might notice a little gain. If you are the type who burns off whatever she eats(lucky duck!) then you will probably notice a loss. I don't think I would worry to much about it either way, just focus on resting and getting well. Listen to your body and eat healthy.
take care and God bless,
Krisples
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

I'm with you (surgery March 31st) and hoping those parts are awfully heavy!! I tend to be an emotional eater though and think that it will be hard to keep tabs on that when I am feeling crummy. I am used to using a pedometer and getting my 10,000 steps a day. Glad to hear I can slowly build back up to that! I'll try to remember to take it slow and steady to win the race though. Thanks for all the great advice and for asking the question. It's great we can learn from each other!

Take care!
Unread 03-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

I intend to lose - working out and never losing the belly no matter how many situps I do is a real negative.

My goal is to be able to 'knock their socks off' six months post op. I know I can do it - it will take work (exercise), concentrating on 'healthy living', and a determination that I come first. I also have a pair of black jeans (skin tight when I was thin) that I intend to get myself back into.

The key is not 'diet' but lifestyle change - so we learned with my DH's heart attacks. You can have a piece of chocolate cake - just not the whole cake. You can have the baked potato with sour cream and butter - just not everyday. We allow ourselves one 'indulgence' every day - be it cake or the potato or hollandaise on the steamed asparagus - but only the one. It now takes me 20-30 minures to eat that piece of cake. Every bite is savored rather than wolfed down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

I am also glad to get all diff. information from all of you. This site, kicks butt,

I brag about this site to everyone at wrk...I go for preopt. tom. Monday, and I am takin flyers of the hysterSister website to Dr. Ofc. and let other women know 'bout this!

Thank You so much for all ur info, God Bless and HAPPY EASTER!!
Unread 03-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Weight Poll gain or lost

I gained 4.5 pounds in the hospital, but lost it in less than a week. Following the advice VLBD gave, I watched my calorie intake especially since my activity level was so much less. Made sure I walked about 1 hour per day. My weight has been the same since (and is the same as it was before surgery). I have just started easing back into a full exercise schedule, so hope to lose a few pounds now.
Unread 03-28-2005, 03:17 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

I have lost (and kept it off) as I was so inactive pre-op due to pain, I put a lot of wieght on in the last couple of years.

Now I still eat the same way, but due to the fact I can do a lot more I have started to shift the pounds I put on. I have droped 2 jean sizes about 20lbs and I'm still working on it.
I want to loose enough to get down another jean size and I'll be happy. (that will make me a UK size 16)
But since my DH bought me a massive easter egg, that might have to wait a couple of weeks
Unread 03-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

Tanis, Tks for ur note, also! Congrats on the 2 sizes down, I also went 2 sizes down to a 16 now, I would like to go one more, then I would be satisfied, at age 52 ...what the heck I just got to realize to listen to the other woman, and relax the first 2-3 weeks , then start slowly, walkin like I use too!
I go to preopt today...My nerves are the WORSE
I start to shake, their so bad! Have a Good Day all! XO
Unread 03-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

I lost ~5 lbs in the first few weeks, but then gained it back!?!

It could be the anesthesia or the pain meds, but my appetite was strange - lunch looked really good, but then when I had eaten about half of it, I didn't want any more. Take advantage of this and get used to smaller portions! Unfortunately I pigged out at Easter dinner & may have ruined my new good habits.

I'm also craving veggies a lot more, which is great - I plan to look for more yummy ways to make them that don't involve a lot of bad stuff, like cheese sauce!

Good luck!
Merrie
Unread 03-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

Good Luck Merrie........Well One Easter Dinner is fine, stick to it, and dress up them veggies, I love veg..so I quess thats a Good thing

Well, was suppose to have preopt today but Dr. is sick with bad cold..I hope it dont put off operation any longer, I just want it All Over with!!

Best Wishes MayWee
Unread 03-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Weight Poll gain or lost

Since I don't have a scale at home .... and the scale at the gym which I checked about five days post-op actually showed a weight gain following surgery ... I really don't know.

I don't actually believe in the post-sugery weight gain either since I'd had three days with no food and had only eaten very lightly in hospital. I figure it was probably fluid retention or something similar. I've noticed in the past that I can very easily retain up to eight pounds in fluid around my periods.

Oh yeah, maybe that won't happen anymore.

As of 1:30 p.m. today, I'll be four weeks post-op. I've also been worried about weight gain but I've been able to walk or swim most days since two weeks post-op and I've tried to eat reasonably well most of the time. (Easter eggs and Easter dinner excepted...)

So when I do go back to the gym in two more weeks, I hope I won't have gained more than a couple of pounds. My clothes still fit the same .... in fact, at times I think my abdomen is a bit smaller.

I have to agree with Sandy on lifestyle change. I'd lost just over 60 pounds in the year prior to surgery and I didn't diet -- just changed my lifestyle to include more exercise and modified my eating in accordance with the Canada Food Guide. No dieting!!
As Sandy says, you can have cake .... you just can't have multiple large slices of it every day.

Keep well,
IslandScribe

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register