Any tips for Super nervous daVinci hysterectomy recovery this Thursday 10/6? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any tips for Super nervous daVinci hysterectomy recovery this Thursday 10/6? Any tips for Super nervous daVinci hysterectomy recovery this Thursday 10/6?

Unread 10-05-2016, 05:06 AM
Re: Any tips for Super nervous daVinci hysterectomy recovery this Thursday 10/6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricalynn View Post
Thank you! Being bored at home is one of the things I'm most worried about. But worst case I will have my laptop and can answer a couple emails.

How long did the doc day your recovery is supposed to be? Mine said 2 weeks and after 4 I could probably go back to the gym. That was surprising.
That's one of the positive things about daVinci, at 2-4 weeks the doc's release is earlier than others. The general advice is to ramp up slowly rather than pick up where you left off pre-op. We still have internal incisions and the surgery did weaken our abs, no matter what kind of surgery we had. (From my laparo surgery, I was released at 4 weeks, resumed no-impact cardio at 7, interval running at 8. At 4+ months, I'm where I was pre-op in everything but motivation .)

If you can line up a post-op project, that helps. I had 2-1/2 years' worth of magazines to go through and binge-watched M*A*S*H!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Any tips for Super nervous daVinci hysterectomy recovery this Thursday 10/6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricalynn View Post
Hey Twina... Hoping your surgery went well yesterday. Would love to hear how your da vinci went. Were they able to take out most of the air and minimize the swelly belly? Hoping you feel good today!
I am happy to report that my surgery went very well. I was up walking with in a few hours and had my catheter out first thing the next morning. I am not to swelly, but I am very gassy today, 2 days post op. I am hoping that it will improve soon.
Karen
Unread 10-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Re: Any tips for Super nervous daVinci hysterectomy recovery this Thursday 10/6?

Had my surgery on 9/19 (took it all) and went back to work this week. Except for gas pains the first week, I felt surprisingly (at least to me!) good right away and began extended walks (a mile or so) the day after surgery. I knew there was a chance of overdoing it because I did feel so good, so I made myself rest whether I felt like it or not. I was bored the first week, but by week two I had the "not working, lounging around, reading, and binge watch Netflix" thing down pretty good! Was very sad to return to work this week. I did not use a binder, but did feel I wanted a little hug around my middle so I wore a camisole under my shirts, mesh granny panties, and yoga pants. That made me feel more secure. Your surgery is tomorrow, so I would be certain to have a few things on hand so when you return home you're good to go. My recommendations would be Gas-X, prune juice, peppermint tea, ibuprofen (I used this rather than the Oxy they prescribed), yogurt. Also, drink lots of water. I was never constipated and was very happy about that. I think the prune juice was key to my success in that arena. By the third day I was taking little field trips with my husband...Costco, lunch, etc. for maybe an hour at a time. I'd be tired when I returned, but I think it did help mentally and physically to be up and about. That's my two cents for what its worth! Good luck - I know you're surgery will go great and you'll have a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2016, 04:16 PM

Hi Bricalynn, I am 2 week post op from the daVinci robotic. I had a full hysterectomy. I have to say I feel great. I wasn't nervous about the surgery but funny enough very anxious the day before because it was my first pre-op appt with the dr who was doing the surgery and then he didn't show had a family emergency so it was interesting to say the least.

But I was up walking the day I had surgery because the gas/bloating was almost unbearable. That was more painful than the actual incisions. They was giving me Maalox and Pepcid while I was in the hospital(overnight) and started drinking lot of water. Once I got home I continue to walk(slowly) took gas x and drank a lot of water. Honestly I didn't feel relief until 3-4 days after even after having a small bowel movement on day 3. I still have some challenges like not being able to sleep on my side, still walking slow can't really bend, but no pain which mean no pain meds...yay.

My post-op appt was yesterday and the dr was amazed how well I was doing. released me to normal routine but still no lifting rigorous exercise and definitely no sex until 8 weeks. Oh I also have a UTI which I hear is common due to the catheter...I got antibiotics and to drinks lots of fluids.

I am confident everything will be okay with your surgery. Everybody is different so you definitely will have to listen to your body and rest rest rest, ask for help. I didn't buy anything fancy but I was prepared with food, reading materials etc...I used hot/cold packs for my stomach and back that helped a lot with the swelly belly.

I wish you all the best and you are definitely in my prayers. Sorry for the long post.
Unread 10-07-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvnancy View Post
Had my surgery on 9/19 (took it all) and went back to work this week. Except for gas pains the first week, I felt surprisingly (at least to me!) good right away and began extended walks (a mile or so) the day after surgery. I knew there was a chance of overdoing it because I did feel so good, so I made myself rest whether I felt like it or not. I was bored the first week, but by week two I had the "not working, lounging around, reading, and binge watch Netflix" thing down pretty good! Was very sad to return to work this week. I did not use a binder, but did feel I wanted a little hug around my middle so I wore a camisole under my shirts, mesh granny panties, and yoga pants. That made me feel more secure. Your surgery is tomorrow, so I would be certain to have a few things on hand so when you return home you're good to go. My recommendations would be Gas-X, prune juice, peppermint tea, ibuprofen (I used this rather than the Oxy they prescribed), yogurt. Also, drink lots of water. I was never constipated and was very happy about that. I think the prune juice was key to my success in that arena. By the third day I was taking little field trips with my husband...Costco, lunch, etc. for maybe an hour at a time. I'd be tired when I returned, but I think it did help mentally and physically to be up and about. That's my two cents for what its worth! Good luck - I know you're surgery will go great and you'll have a speedy recovery!
Prune juice.. Good idea. I'll have to get my hubby to the store for that one. And I love your yoga pants idea. I didn't get the binder, but those would feel more secure for sure!
Unread 10-07-2016, 06:42 AM

Well I'm one day post op from my Da Vinci robotic hysterectomy. After I was able to pee and keep food down they let me come home. I was there a total of about 13 hours from check in to check out. It was nice to sleep on my own couch.

It turns out I had no huge fibroid causing my issues once the doctor was in there. My left ovary was down on the side of my uterus attached to my abdominal wall and my uterus with endometriosis. So he had to take out that ovary along with both tubes, my uterus and cervix (which were all planned to come out). At least I got to keep the one ovary! I'm only 40 and did not want to go into surgical menopause. But I am looking forward to my 2-week post op appointment to ask all the questions my husband would never have thought to ask.

It's interesting that every reports being gassy; my gas isn't anywhere near my abdomen. All the air goes up to my shoulders and chest. In the hospital yesterday I thought I was having a heart attack. It's significantly better now, but comes back each time I stand up for the bathroom. I think I'll still start taking gas-x! The doc also sent me home with a stool softener I should probably start on. I was ravenously hungry yesterday and ate hot wing pretzels (and I don't like spicy food at all) and a whole thing of doughnuts. I should probably start trying to eat a little more healthy. 😁

Everyone was pretty spot on about needing to pee all the time too. I think I'm up about every 45 minutes. But that's better than the alternative.

Ice packs. I forgot about Ice packs. Need to remedy that. What about hot pads? Bad idea? I thought I'd always heard alternating then was good to flush the inflammation away from an area. But that may not be the case for this surgery.
Unread 10-07-2016, 07:03 AM

(((bricalynn)))

Welcome to the other side!

Please visit the recovery progress reports thread for your surgery week (in the Post-Op Sub-Forum) to share daily updates about your recovery.

However, please start a new topic thread with specific questions in the Main Post-Op Support Forum as often the best input will come from those who have already been through the recovery process. "Been there, done that!”

We're sending best wishes for a smooth recovery and will look for you in the Post-Op forum!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register