Questions from a nervous Pre-op Princess | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions from a nervous Pre-op Princess Questions from a nervous Pre-op Princess

Unread 06-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Questions from a nervous Pre-op Princess

Hi All...

Ok ... here are my questions

1) Is it common to leave a cervix and take everything else?
2) If i go into surgical menapause - will i ever be able to get off hormones and maybe take herbs?
3) Anyone ever used Black Coash - a friend told me that might be a solution.
4) Is it silly, in this day and time, to be as nervous as I am???
5) How long a recovery - truly for a LSH with BSO? (Love using those terms now that I'm getting used to them!)
6) Has anyone ever had a surgery like this with only 5 days notice??? (Not with cancer --- just sort of an emergency)
Sorry for so many questions - just don't have anyone else to ask - everyone gives me the "oh, i had one - years ago - you'll be fine or ... hey - it's the end of all troubles" --

7) Why do i feel like i'm losing part of my feminity??

Thanks ladies!

LeAnna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2006, 01:57 PM

Hello! Since I am still pre op myself (9 days to go!!), I can only comment on...questions 1,4 and 7. I can also comment on the "oh i had one years ago thing".

Let me start off by saying you definitely came to the right place... in my opinion. I had an ultrasound one day, laproscopy the next and scheduled the hyst the day after that. I had a month of waiting before the hyst, but that was my choice as my home situation would be much better on june 20th than it was in May. sorry, I digress.

1) From what I understand, and your dr should be able to explain it better, if you have a history of "trouble" with your cervix (abnormal paps, displaysia,etc etc) it is safest for your future to remove the cervix. Every woman's situation is different. Mine has to go due to a history including cone biopsies and cryosurgery. There are several ladies here who have posted that they kept theirs and several that have not, I am sure they will be along to help you more than i did.
4) This day and time has nothing to do with how nervous, anxious or worried you may be. It is your body and a major life decision. Yours also happened so quickly, you have hardly had time to adjust.
Thats why I love coming here, so when I feel uber crazy I've got tons of women letting me know that what I am feeling is normal.

7) I feel a little the same way. I do not know your whole situation so I cannot speak to you on that. I can tell you that I worry about libido loss, and other hormonal changes. But, reading the post op boards (even if we can't post yet) helps to ease my mind a little. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful DH who reassures me that he does not chase me around the house because of my uterus. (TMI?) In short, your mind and your heart are what make you a woman. Not your inner organs. Not only will you still be feminine...you will be a Princess! This is a tough road and it takes a strong woman to traverse it and come out the other side smiling.
Lastly, (I know, i talk too much, sorry), there is a woman that I work with who "poo-poos" my upcoming surgery. "Oh I had that done its nothing you will be fine" My mil even has a whats the big deal attitude. If having an attitude like that helps you get through it, than Bravo and kudos to you. But, I am a realist. This is major surgery, with major implications. Any normal person is going to be a little nerve wracked by that. My theory is that the women that are saying no big deal, either never had one or did not have a great experience/support system when they did. And now perhaps they are a little bitter, no? Or, maybe they
are the type that like to be center stage themselves and any type of attention lavished on another (no matter how justified) is a threat to their own confidence.
I hope some of this helped.
You will have to excuse me, I'm a little bitter myself lately with anyone from the "non hysterectomy club".

Take care sweetheart, my prayers and thoughts will be with you on your day.
Unread 06-11-2006, 08:21 PM

well said emichal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2006, 09:28 PM

Hi ... thanks for the great note!

I have to say I've got tons of the poo==poo'ers myself - Why has every woman I've ever known had one and I never knew it?

Why has every lady at church had one?? and why oh why when they ask - "So, how's it going ? " do i break into tears? Weird...

it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there with these feelings --- that is really really nice to know. I'm going to print the Hystersister flyer and give it to every women I meet in the hospital! lol

I'm having a hard night - really bleeding excessively - this makes me REALLY want this over....but at times, still hurts - am going to keep researching the cervix thing - I have had one abnormal pap and just don't see the reason for keeping it...in all honesty!

Have you read the poem The Operation?? If not, email me (Liss07@aol.com) and I'll send it to you - I cut and pasted it into word!

Thanks again - hope to chat soon..
LeAnna (If I ever get my 25 things to do - done before Wednesday AM!)

Unread 06-12-2006, 06:27 AM

Hiya LeAnna I'll try and answer some of these...oooh! It's like a quiz!

1) I think it depends on the individuals situation. Have a word with your dr. (Sorry, that was a cop out )
2) Depends on your age. I'm 35 and have been told that they want me to take the HRT for a fair amount of time, just 'til I'd be about due for menopause, then we can look into alternatives. The risk of osteoporosis is quite high for me, so I'll keep taking the tablets
3) Erm....pass?
4) Not silly, never ever silly...this is a major op and a life changing one at that. Just remember, for the majority of us, the waiting really is the hardest part. (Trite but true!)
5) I had a lavh/bso. After 2 1/2 weeks I was feeling much more comfortable, but had other things going on too. I also had another op 2 1/2 weeks after the hyster (yup, I was just feeling better and then...) so I guess I don't really know
6) Had 7 days notice for my second op Luckily I hadn't put all my stuff away from the hyster, so just unfolded and repacked!
7) I think we all feel this way to a greater or lesser extent. It's something you come to terms with in your own way. Just remember that you're not the only one to feel this way.
Anyway, I guess I didn't do too well in the quiz
Take care and good luck!
Unread 06-12-2006, 10:02 AM

Brisa gets an "E" for effort.

Hey Casperkat, whereyabeen?
Unread 06-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Thanks brisa

Hope your 2nd surgery went ok! I'm doing ok .. this site has truly truly helped - I plan to pass out HysterSister Flyers to everyone on the floor and give them to the nurses! lol - thanks for the advise - i hope I don't need another surgery right away !
Unread 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM

Hi! I can comment on a couple of your questions 1,4,7. First, I would like to say that I am glad you foun this site before your big day! My DH found this site when he was looking for ways to help me cope with all the ways I was feeling mainly not having anyone who was going through this at the same time everyone said "oh, I had one years ago and I feel great" (alot of help that was).
1. As for that my dr. wanted to leave cervix at first just for the feelings it provides during intercourse, but ultimately it had to go also. So I guess it depends on situations for individuals.
4. Even though this is a common surgery performed everyday it is still a surgery. And if someone was not nervous a little bit something would be strange about that. You are letting someone take something out of your body you have every right to be nervous. Just take a deep breath and follow your heart you know your situation. You also have a large support base here at this site. We all can understand in some way or another.
7. I knew for 2 weeks what type I had to have. I lost everything except for one lonely little ovary. I cried so much thinking that the one thing that I could do that my DH could not do was going to be taken away. Although women can do alot of things men can do we always have that one thing that they could never do no matter what. I was so upest. My DH told me it would make me no less of a woman than the women that loose breasts from cancer or other reasons. He asked "Do you view those ladies as less of a lady because they have one or no breasts?" That really hit home with me, the answer was ofcourse no. Sometimes DH can have a really good point. That really was food for thought. But I do know what you are saying, and feeling. So keep us posted on your surgery and recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register