I'm new here ...pre op 10/18/01 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm new here ...pre op 10/18/01 I'm new here ...pre op 10/18/01

Unread 09-28-2001, 07:25 PM
I'm new here ...pre op 10/18/01

Hi all,

I've been looking through all the great information that is posted here It's been very helpful to me. I got my date this week for Oct 18, so just a little nervous, although this something I've wanted to do because I know I'll feel better.

I'm have a TAH and I'm not sure yet what the doctor is recomending as far as ovaries ...etc....what should I ask regarding this issue ? Can someone give me some ideas ?

The doctor has told me 4 week off from work - it that the usual time needed for recovery ?

Thanks for the help

Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2001, 07:58 PM
Welcome Rachel

Hi Rachel and welcome!

I can't answer your questions/concerns, but some of the other women can. I am in the investigation stage and don't yet have any answers for myself. I just wanted to welcome you!

T-Anne
Unread 09-28-2001, 08:12 PM

Hi Rachel! Welcome to the site. You will get lots of good feed back here on any questions you may have concerning your upcoming surgery.
Everyones decisions are different but speaking for myself, at 43 years of age, I wanted to keep at least one ovary if possible. We could tell by my ultrasound that my left ovary had some simple and complex cysts. My right one looked okay but I left it up to my doc. to take it too if it looked weird once he saw it. It was alright, so he left it. Now I do not have to go on hormone replacement. One ovary will provide all the estrogen you need.
Recovery time depends from person to person. Most dr's will allow at least 6 wks. to be out of work, but if you have a sit down job you may be able to go back earlier. Beware that you will be a little sore for a few weeks and after that, you will tire out pretty easily and will need to take it easy. Rest is the key and letting others do for you. (Easier said than done). I was only really out of commission for about 2 wks. (but I didnt go back to work until 6 weeks after surgery), then I did more and more each day. Walking around the house and up and down my driveway. When you have abdominal surgery, you have to be careful about lifting and bending... (they will tell you at the hospital all the do's and dont's) Then the good news...... after a few weeks of doing all the right things, you will really start to feel so much better. It does take a while to fully recover, but when you do, your quality of life will be greatly improved. I dont even feel like I have had surgery. I am about 3 months post op.
All the waiting and wondering is the worst part. With any surgery its a time to be anxious and wanting all questions answered. Its perfectly normal to be scared and nervous. The hospital is fully aware of what you are feeling and will do all they can to make you calm and out of pain. My experience was very pleasant and I was treated wonderfully by everyone involved.
I hope your time passes quickly and that you will visit us often with questions and concerns!
Take care!!
MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2001, 08:34 PM

Hi and welcome!

I'm so glad you found us. When I had my TAH/BSO, having this place to come to for information and support made all the difference in the world.

A good place to read for different perspectives and experiences is on our Pull Down Menus on the home page...Princesses Tell Their Stories, as well as the really helpful lists of how to prepare, what to bring, what to ask at preop, etc.

There are many different approaches to keeping or losing your ovaries...the general rule of thumb is if they are healthy, keep 'em. However, only you and your doctor can determine what is best for your particular situation...read, research and ask millions of questions until you are completely satisfied that you are making the right choice for YOU.

Keep reading and posting, and we'll all be here to help you get through this!

Karen
Unread 09-28-2001, 09:52 PM
Hi! Rachel!

Welcome! Rachel!

I am new to this site too.

My TAH is scheduled for 10/25/01 with the same concerns.

I have requested a sonogram from my dr and another dr. I was advised there wasn't a reason for removing my ovaries but they could not guarantee it. I was told my dr will not remove my ovaries unless there is any type of abnormality. This surgery the only solution for wellness. So, I continue to ask lots of questions from friends, family and chats, I am reading the advertised Hystersisters book and I am feeling comfortable with this scheduled surgery.

PLEASE ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!!! IT HELPS!

I'll be praying for the both of us. May God Bless You!

Your New Friend, Teana
Unread 09-29-2001, 08:04 AM

Hi,
Your surgery is the day after mine! I made a list of questions to ask my doctor based on all kinds of stuff I read on this site. If you use the search function you can see posts just about ovaries, or cervix, or bladder, whatever. There is great information here, and lots of caring women.

My ovaries are in question, too. My doc and I agreed that she would look at them during surgery and decide if they were healthy enough to keep. I prefer to keep them because of the hormones they produce, even though they won't make me menstruate any more .

One of the things I am asking her to look for is evidence of a ruptured cyst, because I suspect that happened to me last year and I sure don't want to go through that again. That was the worst pain imaginable .

viola
Unread 09-29-2001, 09:42 AM

You didn't say (or I missed) why you needed the TAH and that would have some bearing on the ovary issue. You're just 3 years younger than I am and I personally am hoping I get to keep 1 ovary as I'm not totally thru menopause yet....they call me perimenopausal though and that was part of what caused the ruckus that brought me to my TAH decision. (I'm kind of like Archie Bunker when it comes to menopause..."Do it NOW and get it overwith")
My doc has been advised if there's anything hairy-looking about the Right ovary to take it out as I only want to do this once. (my usual patience exerting itself again)

I never asked the doc how long recovery was....I just took 6-8 weeks off work based on talking to other women. I have a physical and stressful job and rarely pamper myself but intend to do it this time! I can be the laziest sloth in the world but when faced with a medical challenge and recovery get very motivated and healthy (too bad I just don't make it last)

Just take comfort in the fact that if you have been sick and inconvenienced enough...this is the answer!
Godspeed!
Unread 09-29-2001, 09:46 AM

Just wanted to pop in and welcome you to hystersisters Rachel. We'll be with you every step of the way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register