Many problems - now this!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Many problems - now this!! Many problems - now this!!

Unread 02-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Many problems - now this!!

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this site and have learned a lot from you all. Surgery is scheduled for 3-18-02. (TVH/BSO/SSF/A & P Repair). I am feeling nervous about this, but have had so many surgeries in the last 21/2 years( not related to this one) and am afraid that this may be the worst one yet. I have had Hernia repair, Gall bladder removal, 2 kidney stone removals, parathyroidectomy all since June of 1999. During the paratyroidectomy, 3 1/2 paratyroid glands were removed and I still have high blood calcium. Have had many tests for various things and one of them showed a parathyroid adenoma. Will be having surgery for this on 3-8-02.

I AM SO TIRED!!!! Now I am told I have uterine prolapse ( I knew something was falling out, but thought it was my bladder because of 20 years of kdney stone history.)

I feel like SCREAMING!! My husband is trying to be supportive, but
he just doesn't seem to understand. I am afraid to go very far from the house because I have to pee every 15 minutes. (this has been going on for quite some time now.) My periods have never been "normal" (very painful to the point of throwing up, unable to stand for very long, lasting 10 days, etc.) The last few months I have had back pain, very full feeling in the pelvic region at all times, EXTREME fatigue etc.

Hopefully these next 2 surgeries will help to improve my quality of life. But right now, I fear the hysterectomy the worst. The recovery has me concerned because right now I don't know if I can deal with much more pain. Is recovery very painful or just
moderately so? What types of pain ?

Thank you for letting me rant and rave, but I feel as if I'm losing my mind right now. I'm just so tired, I'd like to take to my bed
for a good long time! Wake me when it's all over!

I know that I will get through all of this, but right now I just don't know!!??

THank you again for listeneing to me.

LeAnne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 09:38 AM

Hi LeAnne. I had a similar surgery to what you're going to have (TVH/BSO/A&P repair/resuspension for prolapse, cystocele and rectocele) on 2/4 so I'm 18 days post now. Go for it, girl! You won't regret having the surgery. As far as the pain goes the worst for me was some feelings that were like pretty bad cramps for the first couple of days, and the bladder spasms I had for the first week, but if you aren't shy about communicating with the nurses and your DR they will give you what you need to keep you reasonably comfortable. And, it will pass...now I am just a bit sore when I sit (the donut pillow helps a lot with that) and when I use the bathroom, and of course still have the dreaded "swelly belly", especially at night. But already I can tell the surgery has helped, because I have no back pain and yesterday when I sneezed I didn't have an "accident"! With a TVH the recovery time seems really quick and you'll feel pretty good relatively soon - it's hard to remember there are so, so many stitches in there and we have to be just as careful not to overdo it as if we'd had an abdominal! In fact my DR told me she kind of prefers to do abdominal hyst's because those patients have a visible reminder to take it easy so they tend not to try to do too much too soon. But for prolapse (especially like mine where the cervix was already outside my body) TVH is the obvious way to go. Don't worry, I won't say it's a walk in the park, but the pain you'll feel will probably pale in comparison to the years of discomfort you've had before the surgery. Good luck and lots of

- Linda
Unread 02-22-2002, 09:41 AM

Hi LeAnne!

Take it easy on yourself. I believe we are all stronger than we think. I also have had about 13 surgeries in the past five years. All abdominal for some reason or other. Low and behold my last abdominal surgery was on December 4, 2001. I had a TAH. Like you, I swore I could not stand another surgery or the pain associated with it. Of course, I was expecting the worst. I believe now that expecting the worst actually made it better, because it didn't turn out to be that bad. Remember to let the hospital know if you are in any discomfort, nobody should have to suffer. I wish you the best of luck. Try to take it easy. For me, my hyst was the best decision I ever made. My recovery went smoothly and not nearly as painful as I was expecting. Just remember to get lots of rest, drink plenty of water, and make sure you have help when you come home. You're in my prayers.

P.S. I'm also facing another surgery in April. This one is a lamenectomy with micro diskectomy. In short, they're going to remove my L5 vertebrae and two disks, L4/L5 and L5/S1. This surgery actually has me more worried than any of my previous. . Feel free to email me with any questions:email:.

Take Care,
Allyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 06:48 PM

Hi LeAnne,

I replied to your post about the donut pillow over on the Post-op board, but wanted to say "hi" and welcome you to Hystersisters.
Your mention of having to "pee" every 15 minutes brought back "un-fond" memories

I also had my hyst for prolapses of my uterus, bowel and bladder, and I can't say that I had any actual pain. Discomfort, yes, but not pain. And now I can actually make it several hours without having to pee!!

Karen
Unread 02-22-2002, 10:00 PM

Hi,
Some of the surgeries you described are so similar to me. For several years I suffered from frequent kidney stones. Then my endocrinologist discovered the hyperparathyroidism. I had one surgery in the neck and the parathyroid problem could not be found. Then about 6 months later a CT scan showed that one of my parathyroid glands was resting on my heart!!! Wierd but true, Nov 2000 I had the equivalent of open heart surgery to remove the anenoma on the parathyroid gland. It did thankfully help with my extra calcium and I am normal now. But 6 weeks ago I did have a hysterectomy. I have had so many surgeries and procedures that I feel like I am falling apart. But I figure eventually, there won't be alot left to screw up!!!!
Hang in there and realize that we should thank God for the expertise of the doctors and that this stuff can be cured now a days. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register