I can't see in the dark anymore! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Over 50? - Thee and Me!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I can't see in the dark anymore! I can't see in the dark anymore!

Unread 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I can't see in the dark anymore!

Hey, Ladies!

My declining night-vision started a decade ago...when I first started feeling that I "couldn't see far enough down the road" when driving at night. I shared these concerns with my peers, and most all of them said pretty much the same thing...the headlights of their vehicle seemed "dimmer," too. Well, I don't think "the headlights" are the ones with the problem.

At around the same time, I started experiencing difficulty reading menus in restaurants. (No, not in Perkins at noon -- but in more dimly-lit dining establishments in the evening.) Now, unlike other routine, necessary health check-ups that I admit I ignore, I do have my eyes checked on a more routine basis and I am told that they are healthy...with the exception of having to wear either glasses or contact lenses like I have done since I was in the second grade.

Last night, I was dining in a Caribbean restaurant (no, not in Mexico, but in Minneapolis, MN) with three friends and reading the menu was so impossible that when the waitress came to take our order I asked her, "I like fish -- what do you recommend?" and went with her suggestion. I ended up enjoying my meal so that solution to my dilema ultimately worked out well for me. So, I plan to discontinue "trying" to read menus in low-light environments, and instead I will "order the special" or ask the wait staff for suggestions in the future.

Although I am finding ways to cope with my ever-growing list of infirmities, this getting old stuff is "for the birds," in my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2006, 06:42 AM

I really do understand what you're saying. I've worn glasses or contacts since I was 6 years old - a looong time ago. I'm legally blind in my left eye but had 20-20 vision in my right. Now, it's weaker - yikes. Bifocals do help but I'm afraid of trifocals. It took me a couple of years to adjust to the bifocals. And even now, those doors and walls reach out and hit me sometimes. Driving at night is not good at all, the oncoming headlights sometimes bring tears to my eyes I have to limit my driving to local well know areas at night now.

Thanks for the suggestions about ordering - I'll try that next time myself

I agree that getting old isn't much fun - BUT, it sure beats the alternatives

s
Unread 12-03-2006, 10:01 AM

I know exactly what you are saying! I'm 51 and about 8 years ago I noticed that when driving at night (I live in a rural area so some places not a lot of street lights) when an oncoming car was in the distance I couldn't tell whether it was on the proper side or coming straight at me. That gave me a few scares. Eyes checked and the most recent one about 1 month ago said my eyes were fine for night driving (go figure). So I avoid night driving if at all possible. The reading in the dim light too, yeah getting old has benefits as well as disadvantages. I've learnt to ask people I'm with if I can't make out the menu I'm not proud I love my food too much (lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Hi Ladies: I'll turn 49 next weekend, but I have been wearing glasses or contacts (and sometimes both) since the age of 14. Driving at night became a problem in my 30's. Then, about 4 years ago, I realized that I couldn't read restaurant menus in dim light any longer. I have since learned that I am now both near and far-sighted! Your advice about asking the waitperson for meal suggestions is welcomed. Next time my teenaged son with the better-than-perfect eyesight isn't around to read the dinner menu aloud to all us "old-folks" (mom, dad, older brother, grandparents, and great-grandparents), I'll try your advice.

Yes, getting old is for the birds. But, here is what I always say: None of us are growing old alone; everyone is growing old with us. So what if I look young from behind, then turn around and reveal the wrinkling, squinty-eyed, bifocal-wearing crone that I am? Thank God I'm alive!

Caribbean food? Yum, sounds good. Now, what do you suggest for indigestion? Take care.
Unread 12-03-2006, 02:33 PM

I'm a COA (Certified Ophthalmic Assistant). I work for an ophthalmologist who specializes in cataract surgery and one of the symptoms of cataracts is trouble seeing in dim light. Or, things appearing "dim"
I can also tell you that most of our cataract patients are over the age of 65 and even more are actually into their mid 70's to 90's. Although there are several types of cataracts, most are slow growing and you can be diagnosed with them 10-20 years before they are actually to the point that they are ready for surgery. Often times, doctors don't even mention cataracts to patients when they first see them. They aren't "notable" since they are slow-growing and no where near to the point of removing them.

Losing your ability to read at near in the 40's is common. I hate to say it, but it is part of the natural aging process of the lens in your eye. It is in the 40's and 50's that even people who have never wore glasses realize their "arms aren't long enough" and they end up with OTC readers or bifocals.

The trifocal segment of a lens is for intermediate distances. They help with the computer screen, dashboard on the car, grocery shopping (seeing the items on the shelf as you're walking by), etc.

Hope this helps, and just know that both cataracts and presbyopia (poor near vision) are just a couple of those things that come with age and there is nothing we can do about it.

Do see your doctor regularly though. Diabetics should see their doctor at least annually and over age 40 at least every other year unless your doctor recommends more frequent. Age also puts patients at increased risk of glaucoma which is a blinding disease that is irreversable and goes undetected by the patient until severe damage is already done
Macular Degeneration is another devistating eye disease that doctor's can monitor and try to help slow the process of. But, it is usually in much older patients.

Hope this helps and I hope you make an appt with your eye doctor soon!
Unread 12-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Carmen,

I know exactly what you are talking about here.

I started wearing glasses at 16 for distance only (couldn't read the last line needed to pass the drivers eye test, lol). I got along fine for many years with glasses only for driving and things like football games, movies and such. I mostly wore perscription sunglasses and no one had any clue I had a problem seeing.

In my 40's my distance got way worse and I could not see detailed things across the street, needed to see a little clearer for the tv, etc. My reading close up has remained good. I must be one of the lucky ones, for I do not need a perscription to see for reading up close and I am 57. I wear one contact for the left eye for distance and read with my right eye (monovision).

I do have a little problem with night vision driving and have for some time. The dimness in the restuarants bug me, but most have good lighting here. I noticed my dh needs brighter lights to see more than I do.

I get my eyes checked every year, dr requires it with wearing contacts. I have dry eye since my 40's and have tear duct plugs for that and this is a big help. I hope it doesn't get any worse, I am on the only contact that will work for me.

It is the pits getting old age stuff.

s

Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register