need some stress relief | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

need some stress relief need some stress relief

Unread 03-20-2003, 07:26 AM
need some stress relief

Hi Wonderful Women,

I was lucky enough last night to stumble onto this wonderful website, but I only have 5 days left until my surgery and am going out of my mind with anxiety. I am suppose to have a TVH, if all goes well, and was relieved when I first found out because I welcome the thought of no more pain and frustration. But the more I research the subject, the more anxious I become. I found a website that dedicates itself to telling nothing but the bad things that can happen from having a TVH/TAH. I know there are risks involved, but I never knew that so many bad things could happen after the surgery.

I started out thinking that this surgery was the answer to all my problems, now I'm worried that it is going to bring on more problems and I don't think that me or my DH could handle that.

Sorry for being so long winded, but one more thing. Where any of you concerned about the anesthesia? I have had general anesthesia before and it makes me a little sick, so my MD said that maybe they would give me a spinal and sedation, ever heard of that?

Have a great day all, and thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Deep Breaths!!

to be, I think I found that same website as you and I did not hesitate to read a little and then FORGET ABOUT IT. There are a few sites out there with an aim to scare the crud out of anyone who needs a hysterectomy, and they are presenting a very biased opinion.

Please remember, your doctor has pledged an oath to "First Do No Harm" and that oath is sacred. You need to trust him. If you don't, get a second opinion--that is your right!

Please inform your doctor and med staff of your past experiences with sedation and I'm sure they will come up with an alternative that will work comfortably for you. As for if I've heard of the spinal/sedation, I think I have but I'm not sure--just please discuss this with your doctor, they will want to put you at ease, believe me. There is so much that can be done to combat nausea, etc.

In my opinion, because I went through the stage you're currently in, (AAGH! FEAR!! DOUBT!!) , try to step back, clear your mind. Then simply write down all your questions. Then write down all the fears that you have. Then write down all the positive attributes you see happening with this surgery. Take those questions and fears and pose them even as written to your doctor. I am certain he/she will be prepared to help you.

Then, you can move on to the next step, acceptance of whatever decision you make. This is your body, your experience, your health, and you can maintain control of the situation.

Just my opinion again-- I don't know it all, I only know what has helped me.

You take care and keep posting. what you are going through seems very normal!

You'll find the relief you need.
Unread 03-20-2003, 08:25 AM
need some stress relief

hi there..... i had a vh,b.repair and all i can say to you is it's the best thing i have ever done.. i feel alot better and each day is easier .... everything has risk in life and i don't believe it pays to think about that... positive thinking is the best way forward.... i had a spinal as well as a general... the spinal was for pain relief afterwards and it worked great for me... they give you an anti sickness i think so you should be okay.. best mention it to the anethetist... the way l look at it is you put your trust in the surgeons and anethetists and you cannot go far wrong.... my thoughts are with you and believe me you will feel so much better... mary. xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2003, 08:58 AM
stress relief

Littlepalm,
I was beside myself with worry and anxiety and the "what-if's" also. Then I started to take stock of WHAT was I worrying about. For me it was the 10 minute procedure leading up to the ride to the OR. (I hate needles) I always tried to look BEYOND the actual procedure... even if it was to the next hour because I knew I was going to be better and feel better afterwards.
I have not once regretted having it done - I only regret not having it done earlier in my life.
God Bless you as you face this... you are not alone.

lamb&lion
Unread 03-20-2003, 11:04 AM
need some stress relief

I'm a couple of weeks away from a VH, and I totally understand what you are saying. I found a similar web site, but it just sounded like propaganda to me. Nothing can be so completely bad! I'm also second guessing because I feel good right now. However, I know when time for my period comes, the HORRIBLE pain will come, too. I can't imagine going through that every month (or more) for the rest of my life. I talked to my hubby about it and he made a valid point that really helped me a lot. He said that I spent almost 1/3 of my time completely miserable and if this surgery will stop that, it will be well worth it. When he put it that way, it really made sense,and kind of "sealed the deal" for me.

I must admit that I am worried about the pain and discomfort that comes after, but I figure it can't be too much worse than what I have been going through every month. AND, this will be a one time thing as opposed to an ongoing one.

Best Wishes!
CJ
Unread 03-20-2003, 11:35 AM
need some stress relief

There are several websites out there dedicated to the bad side of hyst. Some of them do carry accurate information regarding possible negative aspects, but some are horribly inaccurate and misleading.

Some patients will suffer from complications, some will even suffer permanent problems afterwards - but thankfully, the majority of hyst patients are able to continue their lives just as before; quite often, quality of life improves greatly.

I'm one of the latter - since my hyst last July, my quality of life has improved so much! I'm no longer in crippling pain, and I no longer have to worry about whether I can wear white jeans or not

Hysterectomy is a lifechanging decision to make (if in fact we're lucky enough to have a choice - many women aren't), and it's not one to be taken lightly. The best thing we can do is educate ourselves as fully as we can. Ask questions, demand answers, and get second and even third opinions. Know your options. This is OUR healthcare, and these are our bodies

Many s and blessings,

Tess
Unread 03-20-2003, 11:50 AM
need some stress relief

to cj... i had minimal pain after my vh... there are great pain meds out there so you do not have to suffer.. the worst bit for me was bachache and that settled down after a few days.. do not worry about the op... have faith and you will be fine... just like all you liw will be.... problems are far and few between.. focus on the positive.. i wish you all well.. mary. xx
Unread 03-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Stress relief...

You know...while I was watching the news reports about the war, I started thinking about the Iraqi women and wondering how they deal with all the problems of perimenopause/menopause and aging. I'm sure they are often (if not always) denied the type of health care that we take for granted. For me, it was the most wonderful stress relief...to know that we have OPTIONS to help us feel better.

I'm sure you will be just fine...and will look back on this and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. At least that is my hope for you and all the other Princesses in waiting, myself included.

Blessings to you and all.

Peace,
Simone

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register