Different feedback from Dr. than you ladies are getting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Different feedback from Dr. than you ladies are getting Different feedback from Dr. than you ladies are getting

Unread 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Different feedback from Dr. than you ladies are getting

I went to my post-op appt. on Monday (11 days). The Dr. looked at stiches and that was it. I had a LAVH.

He then said see you in 2 years!!!! Most of you are going back after 6 weeks right? Nope, doesn't want to see me again. He also cleared me for sex and work (waitress, of all things) at the end of 4 weeks. WHAT? How can he clear me and not even look in there?

What do you guys think? I think I'll take 6 weeks to play it safe. Only thing with that is my Dr's excuse says I can return on Sept. 10th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2007, 09:29 AM

I think it is crazy for him to tell you you can go back at 4 wks when he saw you at 11 days. How does he know how you will feel at 4wks without seeing you. He cant be certain that you are completely healed without seeing you. Just because this might be the "normal" time frame for your type of surgery does not mean it is when you will be healed.
I had a SAH and my dr. saw me at 4 wks and then wants to see me at 6 months.
If your not comfortable go back in at 4 wks and let him know how you feel and that you are not ready to go back quite yet if that is the case. I would be aggrevated with an 11 day post op and then see ya in 2 yrs. Give me a break this is major surgery. Did you have your cervix removed, because I would think he would want to make sure the vaginal cuff has healed. I guess he just assumes that if you dont have any symptoms then all is fine.
I would just make an appointment for 4 wks and say you would be more comfortable getting the ok for work, sex etc after he has done an internal examine at 4wks.
Good luck. Its horrible to go through a major surgery and then to feel like just a number afterwards.
Take care of yourself
Unread 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM

My doctor let me choose when I was ready to go back to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2007, 11:02 AM

Likely, your stitches haven't even started to dissolve yet so how will he know you're "OK" for work and sex in a couple weeks.
I think 4 weeks is way to soon for your job. This was my 10th surgery and I have always healed really well and quickly. This time, though, my healing was delayed and I was not cleared until 8.5 weeks.
Please insist on an internal exam for clearance before you do something that could jeopardize your entire recovery.
Unread 08-22-2007, 11:18 AM

I also had a LAVH w/BSO. The doctor also wanted to see me for a 4 week check-up. Due to another problem, I saw him at 3 weeks, he did examine me and said I was fine. No further surgery follow-ups were needed unless I had problems. I also was surprised that nothing further was needed.

I do need to see the doctor in October for hormone follow-up, and in June for a PAP of the vaginal tissue.
Unread 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM

At my two week check, the doc checked the lap incisions, and that was all, said "see you in four weeks, any questions? " I asked about restrictions and he said ' nope, you're good to go, except no sex till after the four week check"
"What about work? " "Oh, you're fine, lots of my girls go back in four days" "Oh, and the paths were negative"

I was too flabbergasted to say anything, except thanks.

I had a LAVH, and I know that you do recover faster then the abdominal incision kind, but I would think some recovery would be needed.

I am just following what I read here and taking it easy for awhile. I work at home, so I can go at my own pace. I know that when I overdo with shopping or whatever I feel it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register