Surgery is st.patricks day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery is st.patricks day Surgery is st.patricks day

Unread 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Surgery is st.patricks day

Hi. My surgery is scheduled for next thursday the 17th which is st.patricks day and im having the da vinci. My biggest concern is the needle part which i know is crazy since im having surgery but needles and i do not get along. i gave birth to two boys both naturally and to me the IV was worse than the contractions. lol. Plus I heard the IV for a hysterectomy is huge and I also heard they put this big needle in your arm during surgery to monitor your BP, Heart rate, etc and I would really like it if someone could give me a playbyplay on pre-op. I am not really concerned with post-op of course im sure I will be before surgery actually happens but im mostly worried about pre-op. If anyone has any advice or info for me I would really really appreciate it!! Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Re: Surgery is st.patricks day

As far as I know the IV needle is the same as for any IV, which is relatively small. Ask them to use the Ethyl Chloride spray to freeze the IV site prior to sticking you with the needle so you don't feel it going in. I don't know anything about a needle to monitor your BP either. In the OR at the hospital where I work we use a BP cuff and a finger monitor for the pulse and oxygen.
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM

OMG That is terrible. I hate needles too I just look away and think of something pleasant but when my very large son was born I welcomed the large needles for pain relief. It is mind over matter for sure. We all have our issues. My Davinci is scheduled for 3/18. I am praying for the least amount of pain possible. God luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Tell them you are afraid, and don't look. My IV didn't hurt at all. (There is a pre op blood draw, at the preop visit). They used a tiny lidocaine injection to numb the area---also not painful---to start the IV. Then all the meds were through the IV. Be sure to drink fluids right up to the cutoff time, if you are hydrated it's easier to start the IV. Just look away and talk about something else or think about a pleasant memory. It's over quickly.
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Well thank yall so much for the advice. Ya ended up asking my mother (who is an RN) and she said they only do the needle in the arm for BP and heart rate if your having open heart surgery so no worries there. lol. As for the IV needle a normal persons IV is an 18 gage and the one they will be giving me for my hysterectomy is an 8 gage which is huge but they do it in case you need an emergency blood transfusion. Oh well it has to be done so I will have to just suck it and take it. lol. Good luck to you too my sons birthday is 3/18 and he will be 5 this year. Im doing his party this weekend since I will be recovering next weekend.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register