Did anyone have an ultrasound before hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone have an ultrasound before hysterectomy? Did anyone have an ultrasound before hysterectomy?

Unread 06-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Re: Did anyone have an ultrasound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel_hin View Post
Not sure u/s techs are good at reading those? Hmmm...
They are trained to take the pictures, not interpret them. Yes, I am sure some pick up things a long the way, but they can lose their jobs if they give details as they are not trained in that area. They are not suppose to tell you anything about what they see or don't see. I had an ultrasound tech give me her opinion once about what she saw. She was trying to be helpful, but she was unbelievably wrong with all of her assessments. I had never, ever seen my doctor so upset when he found out she had said something and what she said. If I had remembered her name, she likely wouldn't have had a job.

As mentioned earlier, endometriosis doesn't tend to show up on ultrasound, so this test can be an ineffective if finding endometriosis was the goal. You may find you will need to be scheduled for a laparoscopy instead of a hysterectomy if your insurance company wants evidence before they will approve a hysterectomy.

I am glad to hear your doctor specializes in endometriosis. The key for successfully treating endometriosis is the removal of the endometriosis, not our reproductive organs (though that can be necessary depending on the circumstances), and most doctors do not have the skills to locate and excise all the existing implants. Thus, too many end up with endometriosis issues even after a hysterectomy since endo was left behind. We do have an Endometriosis Support forum and Endometriosis Articles you might want to check out.

Have you had a second opinion? A second opinion can help ensure you are making the right decision for you, and it can help with insurance approval.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Did anyone have an ultrasound before hysterectomy?

I agree with Weiser. I was recently diagnosed with Endometriosis via laparoscopy. Previously, I had an abdominal ultrasound and a Transvaginal ultrasound. Neither showed anything abnormal. Endometriosis implants are so microscopic they aren't likely to be visible on ultrasounds.

My GYN said the insurance company likely wouldn't approve a hysterectomy without a diagnostic laparoscopy, D&C, and hysteroscopy. I know it's frustrating to go through extra procedures and testing.

Unread 06-20-2015, 03:08 AM
Re: Did anyone have an ultrasound before hysterectomy?

Have you had any type of scan at all? How were you diagnosed with endometriosis?

Your symptoms can also be caused by fibroids. It would be good if your doctor had few suprises before you were cut open.
Unread 06-20-2015, 11:24 AM

I had ultrasounds that didn't show my endometriosis at all. The only way that they found it was an exploratory laporoscopy where it was all over. They never saw it with anything else . I had CAT scans, transvaginal ultrasounds, etc and nothing showed even though I had a huge amount of endometriosis that was all over my bowel and bladder. So the tests don't always show it. I would try to get an expert if at all possible I really wish I had. I spent 2 1/2 years recovering from my surgery because I didn't and have life long problems from it. Good luck
Unread 06-20-2015, 08:29 PM

I also had an ultrasound as well as an endometrial biopsy, both due to insurance. My TLHS is on Monday.
Unread 06-20-2015, 09:01 PM

Hello and nice to meet you

I had several trans-vaginal ultrasounds prior to my surgery. They confirmed what the pelvic/abdominal CT scan did, I had swollen fallopian tubes known as hydrosalpinx.
From what I understand an ultrasound is unable to diagnosis endometriosis. I had a laparoscopy done in 1986 and at that time was told that I had Stage II. When I had my TAH done last July the surgeon said that it had progressed to Stage IV (the worst possible).

Good luck and please keep us posted
Unread 06-21-2015, 08:37 AM

I had several ultrasounds, one endometrial biopsy, history of failed treatments with different hormone systems (mirena, nuvaring, pills) - got migraines and high blood pressure.

After all this stuff and ongoing problems the surgeon said that surgery would be my best option because I had already tried other things and I was not getting another endometrial biopsy again.

There was no problem with the insurance as far as I know.
By the way they saw tissue that indicated endo during the laparascopy but it does not show up on ultrasounds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register