Really Dark Stool this morning -- Normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really Dark Stool this morning -- Normal? Really Dark Stool this morning -- Normal?

Unread 08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Really Dark Stool this morning -- Normal?

Morning Ladies,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Sorry that this is TMI, but I just had a BM this morning and the stool was really dark -- almost black.

Is this normal?? This is the first time I'm seeing this today (Day 16 for me). However, I did sneak about 5 chocolate oreo cookies late last evening (around 8 or 9pm). I'm wondering if that could be it. I really didn't eat much else, except for soup.

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned?? I've read that black stool can mean internal bleeding. I don't want to work myself up over nothing, which could be just the cookies.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Re: Really Dark Stool this morning -- Normal?

Hey there

I've read the same thing about very dark stools. Another thing it could be is if you are taking a lot of iron, or getting a lot of iron in your diet, you will have very dark (greenish-black) stools. Have you have more BM's since then? Have they come up black too? Maybe you could call your doctor's office and let them know. They can tell you if they want you to come in, bring a sample, or just watch your movements for a while. Do you have a post-op appt. coming soon?

Good luck and keep up posted.
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:10 AM

1. I have NOT been taking iron. They want me to take it post-op, but I've had too many problems with constipation and am just now getting my bowels under control somewhat and I'm 16 days out. I went from constipation, then watery diarhea, soft mushy stools and this morning, finally formed plus stoft stool, albeit dark.

2. My stools have not been dark before this morning. Again, I ate a lot of chocolate oreos last night (chocolate cookie, with chocolate inside)

3. My dr is over an hour away. My husband JUST went back to work today for the first time in 15 days after helping me since I've been so sick with complications. I cannot drive yet, even though I'm at the two-week mark. Still having some buring and pulling on my right.

4. My next 4week appt is in two weeks

Sorry for all the bullet points -- just want to clarify the information. I'll call the office, not sure what they can do for me since I'm so far away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2009, 09:59 AM

I just spoke with the Nurse; she's pretty confident it's the dark chocolate oreos (dark cookie and filling) that I ate last night. It's the last thing I did eat and I had about five of them. I had only had a cup of chicken with rice soup before that.

I told her I'll keep an eye out on my other stools -- I'll stay away from the cookies to make sure that was definately the culprit. Keep your fingers crossed.
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Great! You were able to speak to a nurse! If they said it's probably the cookies, then that's probably what it is. We'll have to watch for the next BM with great anticipation.

I'm sure everything is fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register