Scheduled TAH Pre-Op Hysterectomy Emotions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Emotions Pre-Op Hysterectomy Emotions

Unread 07-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy Emotions

SO...I have an emotional roller coaster going and I'm a month pre-op. I KNOW I am so lucky in many ways. I don't think it is really the surgery I am worried about,but the recovery "down time." I feel like a rubber ball and I'm hitting the walls hard (haha). I have already cooked 12 meals (including 4 breakfast) and frozen them, I've got easy meant to get it done projects planned for my "recovery". Because many "life" events have happened around me, I haven had much of a libido in ages and suddenly it is running high. I wake with an urgency to get things done. Am I losing it or has anybody else felt this way? I would love to tell my husband and son, It will be ok...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Re: Pre-Op Emotions

I think is normal to feel that way. I was so anxious, worried, scared and emotional. I did some meditation, someone on this site recommend it. It helped me. 2 days before the surgery I was calm and relax.
You will be fine, it gets better.
Hugs
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:32 PM

I'm just ready to be on the other side. Tomorrow is my day. My period came yesterday and the pain is so bad I cried last night. I shouldn't take Motrin this close to surgery. I took a percaset and a muscle relaxer and after an hour or so it eased down enough I could go to sleep. I'm ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2014, 01:55 PM

Hi naturally -

What you are feeling is very normal. This emotional can be intense, and the intensity can increase as your surgery day nears. I have read post from other women with suddenly high libido before surgery, and also sometimes after surgery. It can happen. Our bodies can do different things.

Unread 07-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturally View Post
SO...I have an emotional roller coaster going and I'm a month pre-op. I KNOW I am so lucky in many ways. I don't think it is really the surgery I am worried about,but the recovery "down time." I feel like a rubber ball and I'm hitting the walls hard (haha). I have already cooked 12 meals (including 4 breakfast) and frozen them, I've got easy meant to get it done projects planned for my "recovery". Because many "life" events have happened around me, I haven had much of a libido in ages and suddenly it is running high. I wake with an urgency to get things done. Am I losing it or has anybody else felt this way? I would love to tell my husband and son, It will be ok...
I will be honest- I spent more time worrying over things like being put to sleep, waking up during surgery (only because my sister had this to happen during hand surgery), being house-bound, etc. Then everything went perfect...came home and 24 hours ditched the pain meds (not for everyone- but in my case I was fine) and I haven't had a minutes problem. I think it is kind of like childbirth- some people pop babies out with no problem (that would be me) and others end up with very long labors and difficult deliveries. As women we all love to tell our delivery stories and now I see many women love to tell their hysterectomy stories, as well. When I was in pre-op, I found it entertaining that the woman beside me was so nervous I could see her feet shaking (she had already had all the pre-op stuff they could give her) and the woman across from me was having her own personal revival. I was so busy watching them I had no time for nerves. I was amazingly calm and knew I was in good hands. You sound like you are a very organized person. I bet you do just great. What procedure are you having?
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:35 PM

The greatest thing about this site is talking to girls who have gone through similar situations. I REALLY don't mean to sound whiney, I've just always been the one to get things done, including some physical labor cattle ranching, and the doctor tells me no picking up calves for a long time, so we are selling out. (Weirdly I feel guilty) I don't lean on others well. It is like a passing of youth and I'm wondering where it all went.

Im having TAH to deliver a honeydew uterus and a cantaloupe fibroid. The cervix has to come out too. Hope to keep tubes and ovaries as long as there are no problems observed. Of course I don't want a 2nd surgery down the road and have consented to an as necessary there. If they have to go I hope to opt for natural supplements. ( at 48 I haven't gone through the "M")

My husband has had an injury that left him with little sight and unable to drive. My son's first day of college is the day of my surgery. I feel a tug of usually being there for them and suddenly a burden.

I thank you all for your support and my heart and prayers go out to our fellow sisters. Thanks for helping me take a deep breath and feel 'normal.'
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
The greatest thing about this site is talking to girls who have gone through similar situations. I REALLY don't mean to sound whiney, I've just always been the one to get things done, including some physical labor cattle ranching, and the doctor tells me no picking up calves for a long time. (Not that I'm complaining about that too much) I don't lean on others well. It is like a passing of youth and I'm wondering where it all went.

I thank you all for your support and my heart and prayers go out to our fellow sisters. Thanks for helping me take a deep breath and feel 'normal.'
I hate being dependent on anyone other than myself...although I have an amazing husband who would do anything for me, I don't like to ask for help! I agree this forum is helpful. I can imagine cattle ranching might be something that would have to wait a good, long while!
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM

TeeHee I enjoyed working the cattle most of the time. But it really is time for me to save my back, Ironically I've helped deliver and doctor lots of babies (calves) and repair many uterine prolapses - but we use a shoe string to stitch it up...I won't mention the size of the needle..glad to be human
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
TeeHee I enjoyed working the cattle most of the time. But it really is time for me to save my back, Ironically I've helped deliver and doctor lots of babies (calves) and repair many uterine prolapses - but we use a shoe string to stitch it up...I won't mention the size of the needle..glad to be human
Oh mercy! I pray they haven't used a shoe string on me...I am afraid it will not hold!
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
SO...I have an emotional roller coaster going and I'm a month pre-op. I KNOW I am so lucky in many ways. I don't think it is really the surgery I am worried about,but the recovery "down time." I feel like a rubber ball and I'm hitting the walls hard (haha). I have already cooked 12 meals (including 4 breakfast) and frozen them, I've got easy meant to get it done projects planned for my "recovery"...
I did that, too, focussing more on my recovery than my surgery. I didn't see that I could do much about the surgery. I would be asleep for that, the surgeon would handle it. But preparing for my recovery, that was *my* responsibility, and I threw myself into it.

One of the things I did was that every time I started getting nervous thinking about the surgery, I would go down to the supermarket and buy more stuff for my stockpile. (I live alone and don't drive.) I might have, well, "slightly" over-stocked on some things. Specifically, it turned out that I didn't need to buy toilet paper or cat kibble again until six months after surgery.

So, no, you're not losing it. This kind of thing is entirely normal.

And go ahead and tell your husband and son it will be ok, because it really will be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register