cervix or no cervix - that is the question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervix or no cervix - that is the question cervix or no cervix - that is the question

Unread 02-09-2004, 03:06 PM
cervix or no cervix - that is the question

Hi brave ladies!
I am so impressed with this site and the huge amount of communicating that is at our fingertips. I am about to take the plunge, tired of trying to decide what to do, but think I'm about ready for LAHV and pretty confident with my gyn/surgeon.
My last hurdle is deciding whether to keep the ol' cervix or not, since I'm pretty sure I want everything else gone.
Main objective is to preserve any possible enhancement to my libido (which seems to have gone into hiding for the last couple of years).
So if anyone has thoughts/experience/insight on this - I would be hugely grateful!
Hope everyone is doing well.
Thanks!
RW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 03:26 PM

Check with your Dr but in most cases a LAVH includes removal of the cervix. I have found no change in my sex life with it gone. I know some have posted that they have had a decrease in pleasure but many of us notice no difference. HRT is the main problem with sex and it takes a while to get on the right track.

Good luck wth your surgery!!

Tracey
Unread 02-09-2004, 03:41 PM
The cervix question

RW----

So you are from Oregon! Where abouts? Anyway, I had my pre-op last Fri. and was shocked to hear that he is taking my cervix as well. I'm having LAVH, and I understand that it has to come out. He told me that it does not affect your libido at all! Well, I figure it is one less thing that can grow cancer..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi citron,

It is just the most amazing site, I have found out a wealth of information just by browsing and asking questions when the need arises, there always seems to be someone out there with the right answer or comfort and concern when that is what is needed. I share your birth year 1953! Could this be the key to the libido thing? It seems to go into hiding during menopause, I think a lot of ladies here find HRT helps. I can't say either way how the other sisters feel about the effects on the libido of keeping the cervix or parting with it. I myself think it is supposed to have more of an effect on how the sexual encounter feels than on libido itself. I think the ovaries have more effect on libido and this is why we loose it a bit when the ovaries start to slow down and stop producing hormones altogether. Hence the need for HRT. I am fairly sure this is the case but ladies please correct me if I am wrong. I was glad to part with my cervix as cervical cancer is one of cancers that runs in my family.
I wish you all the best for your surgery and hope you receive more replies to your post so that you can make an informed decision as whether to keep or not to keep your cervix.

Best wishes,
Unread 02-09-2004, 06:24 PM

well sis
the story about the cervix is a funny thing alot of woman say it dint stop their sex life at all but then i know some say it did
my cervix played a big roll in my sex life and forplay i know it sounds silly but they removed my cervix 5 weeks ago so i dont know as of yet if it has made me sexless grrrr but im sure ill find out soon i would say talk to your doctor about it and tell him or her what you feel and think i wished i still had mine but some sisters here are glad theirs are gone so its all up to you
hugs Karlene
Unread 02-09-2004, 09:32 PM

The cervix is removed with the type of surgery you are talking about. If it's important to you to keep your cervix you need to discuss this with your doctor, as you would need to have an abdominal incision. It seems from what I read here (and my own experience) that the removal of the cervix doesn't have much impact on your sex life.
Unread 02-10-2004, 10:30 AM

Great info - and now I'm clear about which proceedure allows what. It's much easier to digest through these message boards than sort out all the answers I got to all the questions I asked at the docs office. I still have more but am headed in the right direction.
Cheers! (I'll be back.)

rw

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register