What did everyone do at the 3 weeks post op point? - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What did everyone do at the 3 weeks post op point? What did everyone do at the 3 weeks post op point?

Unread 01-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Post Op Bleeding

I've been going nuts with this one. My surgery was on January 10th...at 37 I went full hysterectomy...they took it all, including my cervix. (I can't believe that's gone, but it was unavoidable.) Out of no where I started bleeding on day 12 and haven't stopped. I've had bleeding a little heavier than spotting...always bright colored and everytime I go to the bathroom. I had been worried that I was having bladder problems as I have also been very itchy and uncomfortable, but the doctor confirmed that it was coming from the vaginal cavity. He didn't feel there was anything to worry about, but I'm still real uncomfortable about this. He insists that I continue being a couch potato, and I do for the most part. I don't overdo anything or pickup items heavier than a half gallon of milk. I also mentioned to him that I have had pain, since day one, on my right side of my incision...about 4 inches to the right. I did spend most of day 1 (yeah, surgery day) vomiting (that was an experience) and most of day 3 vomiting again from post op illius. It was my belief that I may have injured or herniated myself with all those attempts to sit up or get out of bed to vomit, or just from the act of vommiting itself. Doc's reply was that it was probably from all the cutting and pulling they had to do to get to all the swollen parts I had, as I was full of cysts from cervix to ovaries. I'm accepting that answer better than the fact that my bleeding seems to have picked up a bit today. How long should one expect to bleed? I thought my 4 month periods were finally over. I feel like I've bled enough this past year to last me a lifetime. I'm terribly frustrated. Oh, and my hotflashes, which I had prior to surgery, picked up dramatically yesterday...day 18. Soy and I will become very good friends this week. That one I can handle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2006, 10:21 AM
What did everyone do at the 3 weeks post op point?

Wow. I had my surgery 1/9/06 and I can't believe how many people in that time frame are already heading back to work. I tried driving earlier this week and got 1 block before I handed the keys back to my husband. I'm up and around...light cleaning, laundry, walking - but working and driving - no way!! My hat's off to those of you that are, I just hope you aren't rushing things. My doctor said 6 wks before working. Good luck to everyone! kmb
Unread 01-29-2006, 10:27 AM

Just a quick word of warning...I was feeling great on Friday, and "forgot" about my restrictions..I lifted a plant in a ceramic bowl, I swept the floors, and did some laundry..a few hours later, I was in such pain in my incision..had to run back to the doctor..thought I ripped open something..the pain was so bad..doctor said I was ok but now I am back in bed..its like back to week 1..BE CAREFUL everyone..dont do anything stupid..I thought it couldnt happen to me but I learned the hard way.. it can.. be well everyone..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2006, 11:36 AM

I too had my surgery Jan. 3, TAH it is hard to find that happy medium trying to build your stamina and not do to much. Just when I push myself a little the next day I pay for it. You hear so many stories of women who are back to work in two weeks and then when you read information on this website how you can easily do internal dammage it is hard to know your limits. The best advice I have seen numerous times and I use also is listen to your body--stop when it doesn't feel right. I have been cooking, doing very light house work (dusting) and laundry for about 1 to 2 wks. without problem. It is when I venture out of the house and go to the store or mall that I notice severe aching in my lower abdomen. Is it normal to have such discomfort in your abdomen area while walking at 3 1/2 weeks? I don't take anything other than Advil once in a great while.

Marwee
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Yeah, I can't believe it either. I'm not looking at driving, according to my doctor, for at least another two weeks. Which is just fine by me.
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
3 weeks post op

Hi KCat
This may be a long story!
I am not on pain meds because my doctor is concerned about my drug allergies. I had a reaction to Demeral during a mastectomy 7 years ago plus I have a lot of other allergies. Also, I have had 2 Cardiac Ablations for Atrial Fib.---the last one this past August, and a D&C 2 weeks prior to that Ablation. Everytime they put me on Coumadin for the heart issues (that is a bloodthinner used to prevent stroke) , I would start uterine bleeding. That is one reason I had to have the hysterectomy. I had everything removed except the vagina, I think!! My new GYN is super careful about my other health issues and drug allergies. (the GYN who was suppose to do the hysterectomy opted not to renew her malpractice insurance and she is the one I will see once I am released from this OB/GYN's care). I did go on traumadol (spelling?) for the first week, (that didn't do much more than motrin), but then he told me to just take motrin, which did nothing at all for discomfort. I foolishly tried Aleve for the discomfort (yesterday) which may have thinned the blood enough to cause a little heavier bleeding. The doctor told me that I would have some spotting and bleeding when the stitches dissolved but I was surprised this morning when I began bleeding heavy enough for a pad. Although, I read and remember him telling me that I may have some bleeding once the stitches dissolved, especially after a bowel movement. Also, from the first visit I had with him he went on about how redheads were bleeders!! So, I will call him tomorrow and make sure this is normal. I do understand that some bleeding is normal. AS for the discomfort, I am using my lorazapam as much as I can, at least to help me sleep. (but still sore!!) Thank you for responding. I hope I answered your question about pain meds without going into too much detail, but it is a complicated issue for my new doctor!
Thanks
cmarie
Unread 01-29-2006, 01:23 PM

CMarie,
I certainly can understand why the doctor is observing you so carefully. You must just follow his or her advice and GET AS MUCH REST AS POSSIBLE!! Your situation is even more compromised than some of the rest of us, so please take caution with everything!
I have been back to work starting last week with 1/2 days (NOT by my personal choice, but my doctor did release me to 1/2 days and then to my tolerance). It amazes me that I can be doing so well, and about 2 p.m. I am a zombie. Anyway, my situation is altogether different than yours simply because I don't have the complications that you do. So, once again, you TAKE CARE! Get better soon.
KCat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register