Next Move | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Next Move

So today is the first day I feel a little closer to normal. A few twinges here and there but much better than last. Here is to more progress.

I still don't feel "like me" yet but I was wondering if at this point I should add some additional walking. Before surgery I would walk a mile or two 3 days a week. I am overweight but except for my uterus (which is now gone) I'm in pretty good health (for being overweight but that is the next mountain to climb) I share this info because I'm trying to decide if I should add walking around the block as something to increase my activity or should I keep doing what I'm doing?
My next appointment isn't until next week. Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Re: Next Move

Hi, Ally! If you are feeling good - add a little more walking! Instead of walking around the whole block, go 1/4 of the way and turn around and head on back home. Wait a few hours and see how you are feeling. If you are feeling ok? Do it again! Slowly - on a daily basis, if you are feeling ok, add a little more distance to each trip.

One thing to be aware of - judging by your LAVH - I am going to assume you had your cervix removed. If you did - now is the time that when you add a little more activity - you will experience swelling in your vagina, newly formed vagina cuff, and possibly even in your rectum. If you are able, taking ibuprofen or Aleve as directed (not just here and there - it's continuous use that is best) will help keep the inflammation in check! I had a few days that were so bad that I stuck a water soaked frozen pad in my underwear. Ouch! But it passes.

It's great you are doing so great - here is to your continued healing!
Unread 02-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Next Move

Thank you so much for the information. This is great news. I did have my cervix removed. Before I was diagnosed with menorrhargia, certiticis, and desqumative (sp) inflammatory vaginitis (rare auto immune thing). I spent three years at Cleveland Clinic for the DIV prognosis and I'm familiar with inflammation but it's good to have a heads up this may happen with walking and my new vaginal cuff.

Except for the pains I've had in my abdominal area with everything getting settled the burning I had 24/7 with the DIV is now gone which is such a relief. I do think adding some more activity such as walking slowly is a great idea. Thank you for the info :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Lee View Post
Hi, Ally! If you are feeling good - add a little more walking! Instead of walking around the whole block, go 1/4 of the way and turn around and head on back home. Wait a few hours and see how you are feeling. If you are feeling ok? Do it again! Slowly - on a daily basis, if you are feeling ok, add a little more distance to each trip.

One thing to be aware of - judging by your LAVH - I am going to assume you had your cervix removed. If you did - now is the time that when you add a little more activity - you will experience swelling in your vagina, newly formed vagina cuff, and possibly even in your rectum. If you are able, taking ibuprofen or Aleve as directed (not just here and there - it's continuous use that is best) will help keep the inflammation in check! I had a few days that were so bad that I stuck a water soaked frozen pad in my underwear. Ouch! But it passes.

It's great you are doing so great - here is to your continued healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Next Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetally View Post
Thank you so much for the information. This is great news. I did have my cervix removed. Before I was diagnosed with menorrhargia, certiticis, and desqumative (sp) inflammatory vaginitis (rare auto immune thing). I spent three years at Cleveland Clinic for the DIV prognosis and I'm familiar with inflammation but it's good to have a heads up this may happen with walking and my new vaginal cuff.

Except for the pains I've had in my abdominal area with everything getting settled the burning I had 24/7 with the DIV is now gone which is such a relief. I do think adding some more activity such as walking slowly is a great idea. Thank you for the info :-)
Hi there!

I had my hyst the same day you did and I can tell you this week had by far been the best. After the years of pain I'm actually starting to feel like myself. My doctor cleared me at my 2wk postop for exercise. I've been walking "quickly" for the last 5 days about 2 to 3 miles per day. I have noticed a slight uncomfortable feeling with my cuff but have stated steady taking ibuprofen and that really helps. I have added each day a little longer until I start to feel the twinge. Then I know it's time to back off. Good luck and happy healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register