Caesarian vs hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Caesarian vs hysterectomy Caesarian vs hysterectomy

Unread 11-23-2001, 03:34 PM
Caesarian vs hysterectomy

Ok, I must ask as sooooooooooo many women keep telling me that there is too much hype about the recovery time after a hysterectomy because they'd had a c-section and it was no big deal. They had little kids to take care of, and were up and around doing their normal stuff in a very short period of time.. WAZ UP with that?? Any insight?? Is there any comparison between the two? It sure seems to me that a hyster is a lot more involved, but having not been through either ( one yet) I'm asking. It'll be interesting to hear this side of the story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2001, 06:19 PM

Whoa nellie! I'm SO glad that you realized that these ladies have NO CLUE what they are talking about!!! First and foremost...a good rule of thumb is not to take any advice about this surgery from anyone who hasn't HAD this surgery! Second, the baby is SUPPOSED to come out...your uterus isn't.

Seriously, major abdominal surgery with all sorts of hormonal implications is similar to a C section only in that it is roughly the same area of the body. With a hyster, you have literally hundreds of internal stitches, all sorts of ligaments and arteries and internal structures removed, re-aligned, and re-connected. The initial recovery for a hyster (initial meaning BEGINNING to resume "normal" activities) is 6 to 8 weeks. The average surgery lasts from one hour up to three, usually under general anesthesia (although many sisters have epidurals) so there is also the recovery from anesthesia to contend with, along with the possible disruption of urinary and bowel functions.

My best advice to you is to read everything you can here, starting with the Pull Down Menus on the home page. They will give you some great insights and ideas on getting yourself, your home and your family ready for surgery and recovery. In the "Princesses Tell Their Stories" area, you can find specific experiences from many women.

Read everything, keep posting all your questions, and try not to pay much attention to well-intentioned but basically uninformed and DOPEY comments from people who don't understand. We'll all be here to help you get through this....and you will!!!

Karen
Unread 11-23-2001, 08:04 PM
some similarities

Paula

I had 3 c-sections and a TAH in August. Yes there are some similarities. But they are so much more severe. I figured "no problem, I've had 3 sections. This should be a walk in the park".

I couldn't have been more off base. The gas pains were the same the night of the surgery. My bladder and bowels went into shock for a while like before. And the incision was the same place. I knew I should have listened to my mother when she told me to have that incision velcroed. That ends the similarities.

Yes I could hold and nurse my children immediately with little discomfort. I tried to hold my neighbors granddaughter at 2 weeks post-op and wound up with swelly belly bigtime! The lifting/pulling/bending restrictions were much more limiting and for 6 weeks.

I thought within a week or two I would probably be back up and running at 50% or better. WRONG AGAIN. The first dinner I made was mac and cheese at about 3 1/2 weeks post-op and was totally exhausted.

There are some similarities but not as many as I thought.

Remember to follow the s orders to the letter and rest,rest,and rest some more. ALOT to help with the gas and take short little walks around inside your home.

s and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2001, 09:42 PM

I had a c section 4 years ago, and they are completly different as far as healing goes!! 5 weeks after my c section I was doing cartwheels in the backyard with my older children!!! 5 weeks after my hyst. I was just happy to be able to walk standing straight up!!!
Give yourself plenty of time, you will need it.
's
Unread 11-24-2001, 12:23 AM

Hi, PaulaKay! You can go up to the top of the page under "search" and find all the other pages where someone has compared c-section to hyst. (lots of those threads!) I had 2 sections, and a TAH doesn't compare at all! I would have never been able to care for a newborn after my hyst. You have to be a pampered princess and let others take care of you! Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register