Leg massage thingies | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leg massage thingies Leg massage thingies

Unread 05-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Leg massage thingies

I'd like to know more about the leg thingies. I understand why they are neccessary but I a wondering how they work. Do they massage by inflating and deflating? Are they operated by some sort of motor, does it make noise? I have a nerve problem in my face that is set-off by any vibration. For instance somethng like talking is irritating. Not the noise but the vibration it causes. Medication keeps it pretty well under control but I still have bad days. Laying on my back sets it off too - even if I am asleep. Thanks, Mar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Leg massage thingies

Yes, the leggings inflate and deflate alternately one and then the other. I was unable to sleep the first night because I found them annoying, but they would not take them off until the next day when they removed the catheter and I started getting up to go to the bathroom. The nurses would have to come in to unhook me, so they finally left them off since I was moving around.

If you have a nerve problem, you should probably discuss this with your doctor and see if there are any alternatives for you.
Unread 05-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Leg massage thingies

possibly DVT stockings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Leg massage thingies

My doctor used foot massagers instead of the leg ones. They actually felt wonderful !!! I was a little disappointed when they removed them. Maybe you will have that alternative to choose from?

Be sure and let them know about the nerve issue.

s,
Kay
Unread 05-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Leg massage thingies

I had to wear both the Ted hose and the full leg massagers. I have had the foot ones before too, I actually preferred the full leg ones. I thought the foot ones were noisier. I don't remember much noise, more just air an air hissing sound. Let them know you have issues with vibrations, and they will try to make you as comfortable as possible, while still ensuring you are at less risk for those nasty blood clots. You definitely don't want one of those. I've been there and done that!
Unread 05-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Leg massage thingies

the air hissing is the main thing I recall too. The ted hose got on my nerves because my toes kept slipping out......
Unread 05-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Leg massage thingies

I loved the leg massaging things! I too was disappointed when they took them off, and asked where I could purchase them! There may have been a slight hissing but I don't recall one and really no vibrating-just a little "hug" around your legs!
Unread 06-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Leg massage thingies

I doubt anyone else will ever have my reaction to the the leg thingies but here is my two cents worth. I was concerned that there would be enough vibration from the motor that it would bother my trigeminal neuralgia. There was. It wasn't horrible but it was uncomfortable. And I didn't need the unneccessary discomfort while I was waiting for my surgery. The nurse put them on and turned them on as soon I was in my gown. Probably the most annoying part of it was that the nurse looked at me like I was from another planet when I commented on it. And my surgery was delayed so I had those dumb things on a lot longerthan if the surgey had been on time. I only had a reprieve when I was unplugged so I could use the restroom. The nurse never came back to plug me back in. That was great because I could get up and walk around as far as my IV tube would let me wander. AfterwardsI was so drowsy and on enough pain med that they didn't hurt my nerve much. They were hot and the nurse turned on the cooler and that helped. That added a little more noise and vibration though. If it wasn't for my nerve problem they would only have been a minor annoyance.
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Leg massage thingies

I'm late as usual to post on a thread! But I found the things annoying, but like you, the first day outta surgery I was so sleepy/on morphine that I don't think I noticed until very early the next morning. By then I was wanting to sleep on my side somewhat (it is almost impossible for me to be comfortable enough to sleep on my back) and had gotten them twisted so they were actually deflating/inflating on the sides of my legs...which actually felt much better to me.
Unread 06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Leg massage thingies

I loved them and the cooling thing. Mine didn't vibrate at all, I feel jipped

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register