dealing with a scared child | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dealing with a scared child dealing with a scared child

Unread 04-22-2004, 03:37 AM
dealing with a scared child

I am scheduled for surgery... LAV on April 28th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm tired of dealing with the pain that I have been going thru.... you know the whole nine yards like the rest of us ladies. Of couse we all worry about what our lives will be like after. But my main concern right now is my 7 year old daughter. I didn't want to just up and disappear over night so I told her and her brother who is almost 9 that mommy had to have surgery and that with time mommy would be so much better... that she wouldn't be so grouchy anymore. I also told them that I would only be in the hospital overnight and home the next day. But my daughter was in tears and wouldn't leave my lap. How can I calm her fears as the day approaches? Thanks for any insight you can give!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 04:29 AM

Hi 2B;
I suggest you take your daughter on a tour of the hospital so she can see for herself all the people that will take good care of you, encourage her to ask questions. I know you don't have much time to do this but maybe you can fit it in. Also, there are some good books in the childrens section of the book stores dealing with hospital stays and so forth.
Children are very adaptable and she will be okay, give her lots of love and an extra hug!
Best wishes to all of you!
Unread 04-22-2004, 04:31 AM

I am having my DH bring all 3 of my DD's to the hospital tonight, so even though I will likely be out of it, the kids can SEE that Mom is ok. My oldest is 13 and she's the worrier. She and I sat up watching TV together last night, snuggled up together. I am exhausted now from lack of sleep, but my DD needed me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2004, 05:34 AM

My littlest girl, who is 7 also, was very worried about me in January when I spent 2 days in the hospital having gall bladder tests done. No surgery (that time)--but she was still very worried.

She, and my other 2 older kids, said a prayer for me. That helped some--we do believe in the power of prayer--and she gave me a token to keep with me: a plastic beaded necklace. It wasn't her favorite, or anything special at all. She just happened to be wearing it. So, I took it and told her I would wear it (I wrapped it around my wrist several times)--it would be a good luck charm for me.

Although I couldn't wear it through the tests (x ray, ultrasound, MRI, CT scan, HIDA scan), I kept putting it back on when I returned to my room. It's strange but, I actually felt closer to my kids when I wore it, and it gave me an inner peace I didn't expect. And when she saw me have it on when she came to visit and again to take me home, she was soooo pleased!

Just a thought. All the other replies to your post are great! Maybe you and she can have a special token to share--does she have a favorite teddy bear or doll that can be your "guardian"? Or maybe a piece of jewelry or a picture? Just about anything can work.

Good luck and God Bless you and the Little One.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register