Staples out tomorrow--What am I in for? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staples out tomorrow--What am I in for? Staples out tomorrow--What am I in for?

Unread 10-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Staples out tomorrow--What am I in for?

I have a big, ugly vertical incision from my TAH. There are 23 staples. It will be one week tomorrow and the staples are coming out already. Seems kind of soon to me.

Does it hurt? What do they use to take them out? The nurse said I might want to take a pain med before I get there.

I haven't really been able to bring myself to examine the incision yet. I hate that its so big and ugly but I'm trying to deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Re: Staples out tomorrow--What am I in for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousHal View Post
I have a big, ugly vertical incision from my TAH. There are 23 staples. It will be one week tomorrow and the staples are coming out already. Seems kind of soon to me.

Does it hurt? What do they use to take them out? The nurse said I might want to take a pain med before I get there.

I haven't really been able to bring myself to examine the incision yet. I hate that its so big and ugly but I'm trying to deal.
Taking a pain pill a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before your appointment would be a good idea. When I had my staples out it was just a quick little twinge kind of like a mosquito bite. The nurse will take out a couple of staples then put on a steri strip until all the staples are out.

Best of luck to you tomorrow.
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:02 PM

When I had mine removed (a week post-op) I was scared. I didn't take anything for the pain before I went to the Dr. office, but I put the pills in my purse, just in case. I got to tell you that I didn't feel a thing. I even asked the nurse, when she said she was done: "are you sure you removed all those staples? " She said that my body was alreading doing the job for her and rejecting the staples.
On my case, I can say it didn't hurt. I hope you have a great outcome too..
Good Luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2010, 09:26 PM

When they took mine I was so sore and was expecting pain as they remove them, but for me it was like a little mosquito bite when I was waiting for my doc to start taking them out he was already done.
good luck tomorrow!
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Well, they are out. It wasn't bad at all. Smallrose's description of a mosquito bite was pretty accurate. I did take a pain med about 45 minutes before my appt.

The nurses used a special tool to remove them and then put steri-strips on. The steri-strips stay on until they fall off by themselves.

Another thing to mark off the checklist!!
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:22 PM

I got my staples removed last Thursday and it didn't hurt but to me it was uncomfortable to me, but when they were out it was such a great relief. No more pulling and the the scar is very minimal. Good luck...
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM

NervousHal
You sounded just the way I felt just before I had my staples taken out.I too had 23 staples and I only felt 2 of them coming out.It really didn't hurt just stung a little bit.They also put on steri strips on me and told me to keep them on only a week.I didn't want to keep on any longer then that because they started to look nasty.I was afraid of getting an infection from it.They wouldn't have come off by themselves eather.They were on there pretty good.I soaked in the bath and peeled them off.It hurt a little more then the staples did unfortunely lol!
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:45 PM

It's nothing. If you are like me the staples are uncomfy and pull evey time I stood up. So I was ready to get them out. My nurse was wonderful and all I felt was when she would touch my sides it would tickle and I would jump. Then she put on cold iodine and stuck the steri strips on. Was suppost to take them off in one week but they didn't last that long.
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Agree with all! I got mine out today. I took a pain pill shortly before going, and when they took them out some I didn't feel at all and the ones I felt were so minimal (I wouldn't even say mosquito since some of our mosquitoes in Florida are quite huge!! LOL) that I couldn't complain at all. It was a relief to get them out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register