Pain meds stopped working | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain meds stopped working Pain meds stopped working

Unread 11-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Pain meds stopped working

Hello sisters,

Can anyone tell me if they have had the same problem?
I have been taking Vicoden to manage the pain before the crowning.
The meds were working great until now!

I called my Dr. and I'm going in tomorrow morning for pain management.
If you have had this happen to you, can you recommend something for me to take? I also take IB 800 as well.

Over the counter meds don't help either. I just can't see myself suffering until the surgery.

Any advise would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Painfree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2002, 02:00 PM

Hey sweetie, I can't offer any advice....all I know is that I built up a tolerance for my Vicodin, so they bumped up the milligrams....maybe they'll do that for you?
Unread 11-07-2002, 02:03 PM

Clynnlarson,

Thanks for the quick response...I'm already on the 7.5.

I just hope that I won't have to suffer....

Thanks,

Painfree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2002, 02:10 PM

Hi.
I had the same problem, since I was on Vicodin for about 2 months before my surgery due to the pain. They gave me vicodin after the surgery too, but I had built up a tolerance so I was having to take 2 every 4 hours and it was still barely taking the edge off. Besides that, it was making me really constipated. I have been having problems keeping my pain under control ever since I came out of surgery. I have had a hard time getting more pain medicine, and asked for something different but no one would give it to me. They treated me like I was a druggie or something. Anyway, I went to my new doctor yesterday, and she prescribed Ultram for me. It is non-narcotic, but it works really well, at least for me. I can tell a big difference already. Good luck, let us know what happens.

, Missy
Unread 11-07-2002, 02:25 PM
our bodies habituate to the drugs over time

I started out with darvocet and have worked my way up the ladder to the strongest narcotic out there, percocet. Body gets use to the narcotics and just needs more. Too many surgeries, too many back injuries, too much trauma and it isn't something I had control over. Injured tissues emit inflammatories and that is just the way things are. If I am not in pain, I leave the pills alone, so not an addict. Pain management is a good move on your docs part.

My stomach has gotten to the point I can not tolerate any NSAID drug. Been working with an accupuncturist for the back pain and got incredible results.
Unread 11-07-2002, 03:29 PM

So sorry you are in such pain! A lot of ladies have reported taking Ultram and doing very well on it. It is prescription, but not narcotic.

Hope this helps!
Unread 11-07-2002, 03:45 PM

What has worked the BEST for me, is vicoprofin - and ever other 6 hrs., taking an Ultram instead of the Vicoprofin. Good luck, girl, and lemme hear what happens, ok??
Unread 11-07-2002, 06:03 PM

Wow,
Thamks everybody for your responses. You know I'm not even sure what they mean (DR) about pain management? Am I going to have to do some alternative method?

I have heard of Vicoprofen before. My DH had it after he has some dental work done.
The only problem is I can't take Ultram. It makes my heart race and I get anxiety.

I have a Dr appt tomorrow morning and I will let everybody know what they can do for me.
I have less than 2 week until the crowning. I just don't want to suffer until then.
It'll make the waiting that much longer.

I feel so helpless, but at the same time I'm glad I'm not alone in this. From what I have read women have been taking pain meds for 5-months. I have been since Sept.

God help me

Love to all my sisters,

Painfree
Unread 11-07-2002, 06:14 PM

MissMissy,

I'm so sorry that the Dr's look at it that way. I know that these meds are addictive. I would rather not have to take them. But, in order for me to function on a day to day w/o pain i have to take it.

I pray that you feel better soon and if you need to talk you can email me jbapril_5@msn.com. I'd love to talk to you more.
We have been going through this for the same amout of time (2 months).

Thanks again.

Love,
Painfree
Unread 11-07-2002, 06:50 PM

My personal experience with pain mgmt doc: they manage your pain with a combination of things; some use meds and exercise, others use just one or the other. My pain mgmt doc has me taking 15-20 mgs of Percocet every 6 hours. I was on the 5 mg dose and like you, it stopped working on the pain. That is when he bumped me up. It's much better now. I was also given a script for Ultram to try and get away from using so much Percocet. Best wishes to you. Will be anxious to see what the doc has to say.

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register