My bladder hurts when I urinate! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My bladder hurts when I urinate! My bladder hurts when I urinate!

Unread 02-07-2009, 12:46 PM
My bladder hurts when I urinate!

*Update*
I just got back from the DR's office. I do indeed have a bladder infection. Not sure if it's a new one or just another round of the first one after my surgery. He said my catheter theory wasn't that far fetched. I'm on antibiotics for 7 days, then I have to go in 5 days after finishing them to give another "sample" so they can do some cultures to see whats up.

Doctor said the first thing we need to do is see if these are new bladder infections or flare ups of the same one.

To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2009, 12:49 PM

I had a VAH with removal of R ovary and laser of endo on 12/17/08. I am stil having pain during urination, immediately after and my lower abdomen is very tender. I have been checked multiple times for UTI but it has always been negative. Dr did two rounds of ABX and three different types of medication to calm my bladder, but nothing has helped. He is now sending me to a urologist, but I can't get in to see him for 4 weeks. I am kind of at my wits end. I really don't think there is anything that the uro guy can do and I feel like my gyn is ditching me off to another dr. I am not leaking. Just having pain. My doc talked about me having IC before he every did my hyster........ Any guidance would be appreciated!

Kristen
VAH with R ovary removal 12/17/08
Laser La Endo, Tubal, ablation (failed) 7/2008
Laser Lap Endo 2/1999
Laser Lap Endo 12/1993
Unread 02-07-2009, 01:17 PM
bladder pain

No matter what your diagnosis may be...UTI, IC or other irritation, I advise trying to eliminate some things in your diet. I have IC. Caffeine (which I'm addicted to! Ha-ha), any acidic juices/fruit, spices, alcohol, etc. all cause major flare ups to the bladder lining. I know when I eat or drink something I shouldn't because the pain halts all my activities. I remind myself and change my diet to bland. I was once told to explain to those who don't understand it by saying it's like pouring acid on an open wound by putting the wrong foods and drink in me.

So, if you are at your wits end with Doctors or have to wait for an appointment, I'd try the diet thing and maybe it will relieve the pain some.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Hiya,
Ive had the same thing.Doctor has given me antibiotics to be on the safe side and sent off a sample.He said its either a UTI or cystitis
I have to say that ive been on the antibotics just 2 days and already the pain in my bladder is easing.He told me not to drink tea or coffee,I only have decaff but have given it up anyway
xxx
xxxx
Unread 02-08-2009, 04:34 PM

It sure isn't fun, is it? I'm 3.5 weeks post-op and still having problems. I've been on an antibiotic for the UTI about 5 days now, but I still have the bladder pain right at the end when I'm going to the bathroom. She did a cystoscopy during the hysto and it showed some divets and a couple of small holes, but no interstitial cystitis. I don't know what's going on but it's very frustrating. I just want to not have any pain anymore, this has been going on since the end of October and I just want to feel semi-normal again!

Michele
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM
bladder pain

Just want to share more of my experience with the bladder pain and Interstitual Cystitis. Mostly because I found many Doctors still aren't sure about it. There's no apparent cause nor cure. The only sure way to diagnose is to do a cytoscopy with hydrodistention. I went through many tests over the past few years. My GYN actually was the one to suggest the possibilty of it. The other Doctors just kept assuming a UTI with no possitive tests for it. The antibiotics, for me, made it worse. Cranberry juice was a killer. Everyone tells you to drink cranberry juice when something is wrong with the bladder! I tried the bland diet route and it was helping. I kept having flare-ups so I saw the Urologist for several tests with the last one a definite diagnose of IC.

I knew when I had my hysterectomy my bladder would flare. I just never expected it to be as bad as it was when the cath came out. My surgery was fine. My bladder was not. The only way I can describe the pain from Ic is that it's like someone sticking a double edge blade in right behind my pubic bone. As my bladder fills, it hurts. As I urinate, it hurts. It lets up slightly as the bladder empties then the pain hits again when the bladder is empty. It eases again as the bladder settles. But of course it starts all over as the bladder fills.

So if any of you have something simliar going on, hang in there. Lots of plain water and watch your diet. I will never be pain free but have learned to adapt.

It's been 8 weeks and so far I love the hysterectomy. Heat flashes are settling some.
Unread 02-09-2009, 01:09 PM

That's exactly the pain I am having, cfshoppe. I have had 2 cystoscopies though. All they showed was some bad adhesions at the top of the bladder where it was adhered to my uterus.

It hasn't gotten worse since the surgery and not better though. She gave me a scrip for a med to try which is supposed to help with the bladder spasms. I don't expect to be pain-free but I was hoping to feel a little better than this! I will try the bland diet though and see if that helps.

Michele
Unread 06-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Re: My bladder hurts when I urinate!

Hello my sisters. I am so glad I found this site because I really did feel it was "just me"...I had my hysterectomy 4 YEARS ago but it still hurts to urinate exactly the way it's described on here! My gyno has referred me to a urologist first before he "goes back in" to see what's going on...the thing is, I told him right after the surgery and weeks after the surgery that it hurt to urinate but I was told it takes time to heal. Well now it's gotten worse. Intercourse hurts and it almost feels I never had the surgery because I hurt all the time now especially on my right side... (I had a partial..there nothing on my right side) I go see the urologist next week. Depressing.
Unread 06-17-2009, 07:48 PM

My update on this is that 3 weeks ago I had to have surgery for ahesions, having had 2 previous surgeries in the last 8 months ! My gynae agreed to come into theatre with the general surgeon as she needed to take a look at my remaining ovary having had some cysts on it. She also decided to do a better cystoscopy on my than the urologist could do in clinic (being asleep is the key !) It turns out that I also have interstitial cystitis and I am now having to learn all about this conditon and trying very hard to follw the IC diet which is VERY strict and VERY boring, not doing to well with it yet, but I am still healing from the surgery and finding it very hard to give up my spicy foods etc. The main issue from what I can gather is give up any soda's and anything with caffine also any citrus fruits or juices and as a previous post says , stay away from the cranbrry juice ! I hope your urologist can help you and make sure you mention interstitial cystitis as apparently it is something that Gynaes are better at detecting than urologist.
Good Luck
Unread 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Thank you so very much...I will report back after I see both Docs...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register