HELP! I peed my pants at walmart yesterday! LONG VENT! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP! I peed my pants at walmart yesterday! LONG VENT! HELP! I peed my pants at walmart yesterday! LONG VENT!

Unread 06-09-2009, 06:49 AM
HELP! I peed my pants at walmart yesterday! LONG VENT!

Some one Help me please!!!!

I am 3 weeks post op from a vaginally assisted Total lap Hyst / Urethral sling.

The surgery was ok, the hospital stay was awful!
Here is my story:

I found myself in the room all by myself about 8 hours after surgery. I was pressing the nurse button because I had to pee. NOONE came! I tried pushing all 4 buttons on the bed, still no one! A lady came in bringing dinner and I told her that my nurse call button was not working and asked if she could get someone for me. It took 45 minutes and me crying out for help like a dying animal to get some one to come help me. IT WAS AWFUL! SCARY! I started out trying to yell for the nurse, they were nopt hearing me, so I tried to reposition myself so that they could hear me. This is when all of the pain from gas went into my shoulder and spread through the rest of my body. I guess the pain and the alone and helpless feeling is what caused me to sound like an animal.

Anyway, once I was calmed down, they helped me to the bathroom , where nothing came out. They then decided to wait until after 7 that night to put a catheter back in. I was in so much pain from my bladder being SO FULL (and of coarse the other pains too).

They sent me home the next day with a catheter and I returned in 2 days , had it removed for most of the day and ended up having it put back in. I had it in for a total of a week.

They had me on 2 different antibiotics. 1 incase I got an infection that I started in the hospital. Then they gave me another after they saw little blood clots in my bag the day they took it out.

SINCE THEN, I am going to the bathroom every hour, sometimes more. So, my nights are not very restful. I run to the bathroom to just dribble out 4 oz at the most. It is painful to urinate. My belly tenses up mid stream or rather mid dribble.
Pooping is also a bit painful.

My doc says that there was alot of manipulation during the surgery. That he had to push my bladder out of the way. That there is still swelling and that it will all get better over time.

Is this true? Will it get better?

I would rather pee every time I sneeze than this!
I am so miserable!

Yesterday I went to the bathroom before I left the house, and as soon as I got to Walmart (which I HATE! I usually hover over public toilets but can not do that right now, I have to wipe and sit). Well not to much later I started to feel like I need to go, but as soon as I felt the need, I started to go. Nothing ran down my leg but my shorts were soaked. I had to buy a new pair and a pack of underwear. It was humiliating.

PLEASE tell me this gets better!!!!!

Can I ever leave the house again?

Could I still have a bladder infection?

Is this because they made me wait to long to cath me in the hospital?

HELP ME PLEASE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Re: HELP! I peed my pants at walmart yesterday! LONG VENT!

I have not had my surgery yet, and as far as I know I am only having a cystocele repair (with my TVH), not a sling, so I have no experiences to help you with. My only suggestion would be to wear an incontinence pad at all times when out of the house until this problem settles down. What does your doctor say about these symptoms? Maybe he/she can reassure you that it's part of the healing process - or not. Hugs and I hope things get better for you soon.
Unread 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Dearest Waterlibby,

I can only tell you my experience. Much the same about peeing all over.
My TVH was years ago. Last August, due to an abnormal amount of UTI's and a "bend that was unnatural in the urethra," my Ob/Gyn and I decide to do a TVT, although my bladder was " in good position." I went through the bladder spasms, not being able to pee, peeing myself, and all that goes with that. I too was told that things would calm down after awhile. After eight months of back-to-back UTI's and multiple accidents, the Uro/Gyn to whom I had been referred, removed the mesh. Problem cured instantly. I had a mesh rejection thing going on, as revealed by the pathology report after the mesh was tested.

Most of the women here do seem to improve with time, but just beware that a few of us did/do not. I wish you the best. Poise or Serenity Pads will help get you through.

CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Ask your dr. about prescribing something for the spasms and urgency. I'm taking Detrol until things are healed and it really does help. There are several things they can prescribe. My Dr. too says it will get better when the swelling, etc. goes down. Hang in there!
Unread 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM

He had told me he did not want to prescribe anything because of the amount of urine in my bladder. We did a test last month that said my bladder holds 2 litters of fluid. Well, I am only releasing maybe 4 oz at a time.

It is just so frustrating, and I am scared that I will need surgery again to correct a problem. It just seems to be the kind of luck I have. UGH!

Hopefully it will heal with time, but HOW MUCH TIME WILL IT TAKE?????
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM

That was exactly what was happening to me, I was only going very small amounts (100 ml or less), knowing that much more was left in my bladder. The Dr. says that when the bladder spasms it stops the flow.
In the hospitol the day after surgery, LSH w/ A & P repairs, they removed my cath and I couldn't pee. They measured what was in my bladder with sono and after not being able to go for a couple of hours they cathed me and took 1300 ml from my bladder. (Amazingly enough that is what the machine read too!) They left the cath in until the next day, removed it and same thing happened. So, after many tears they put another cath in and sent me home. Two days later I was told how to remove the cath. It seemed as if things were "okay" for a couple of hours and then I began to have difficulty again, only going very small amounts (100 ml at at time at the most).
The Dr. called to check on me and said she'd rather call in Detrol than have me recathed due to risk of infection, irritation, etc. All this time she did have me on antibiotics, taking the proactive approach thankfully. Anyway, within 12 hours things improved. I was going every hour, but more was coming out. I continued to measure and since more was coming out than going in my dr. felt that this approach was working. She herself continued to call and check on me over the next several days (what a great doc). It took a good week or so before things seemed "normal" after that. I still had frequency issues and urgency issues. I was up every hour for several nights. It has since gotten to where I may get up once or not at all. I go 3 or more hours in the day w/o needing to go. She want me to heal inside before taking me off the meds. I'll see her in a couple of weeks and find out what is next.
I know all people are different and drs have different approached. I just had a very simular experience. Know you are not alone. I hope it gets better for you soon. It is miserable to get through, but know you will! I've heard from many wise gals on this site that time is our friend.
Unread 06-10-2009, 08:26 AM

I agree with the wait and see advice. I was also initially on meds for bladder spasms, and then for frequency. Nothing really helped with the urgency though. My point being, be patient and things will probably calm down, wear precautionary gear in the meantime, and continue to follow through if you don't improve to your satisfaction.
Many of us have been where you are, and you are not alone. Follow your instinct and continue to reach out for support.
CA
Unread 06-14-2009, 10:45 PM

I am sure by this writing you are a bit better, hopefully. I had surgery tvh-cystocele (repaired and no sling) a year ago this June 11th that just passed and it does take a long time. I still feel swelling and the soreness in my bladder a year later. It does not help, I guess that I need my rectocele done.

I am trying to take care of myself and not overdue it, I can understand you wanted to get out, but next time maybe ride the electric cart at Wal Mart.

For several month's after my surgery I stayed out of big box stores like Wal Mart as the concrete floors and all the walking and waiting in line is no good for your recovery.

Take care of yourself and do you have the option of grocery delivery where you are? We have PEAPOD which I only did once, but will do it again.

Also Walgreens.com has an excellent site and is reasonable.

Good Luck, be good to yourself.

JJS-Joan
Unread 06-15-2009, 07:15 AM

Thank you all for the kind words.

It has not really gotten any better, it is truly about the same.

I am trying to remind myself that it will just take time. I am almost 4 weeks PO now, I will wait till I am 6 weeks PO and then call the doc back.
Unread 06-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Girl,

Just don't suffer too long before pressing forward for a tangible explanation. With the Mesh, there can be problems. I never would have gotten better with time. only worse. You know best, so listen to your instinct.

You have our continued support.

CA

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register