Urinalysis Negative !!!! Suggestions Please !! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urinalysis Negative !!!! Suggestions Please !! Urinalysis Negative !!!! Suggestions Please !!

Unread 05-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Urinalysis Negative !!!! Suggestions Please !!

HI.......I just got notified this morning that the urinalysis I did yesterday for possible UTI infection is NEGATIVE !!! I guess I should be happy but actually was hoping for a reason for this bladder pressure (sometimes) and also little shots of pricking in the uretha. It all comes and goes....seems to bother me when on feet for longer periods.

I guess it is post op healing-feelings????? I am 19 days post op.....TAH/BSO Vertical incision
ANy ideas?????

Thanks

Kathi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Kathi, I know how frustrating have "normal" results come back when you KNOW you have a problem. I have a thread on here about that very thing with a CTscan.

Anyway, it is sort of a good thing that no UTI was found. There is a girl on our hyster. recovery thread that has also been having "peeing" problems. Basically, same feelings as yours for the most part. Pretty much hers was healing issues from the bladder being irritated and nerves healing. I'd say though, that if the pain increases or doesn't seem to get better in a day or so, call your Dr. again and ask him what they want you to do.

Many women have also found drinking cranberry juice helps with bladder pains and issues. I've heard it's supposed to be good for your renal system.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. LJC
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Hormones?

I've had that problem before. Thinking I have a UTI and the test coming back negative. In one case, I was on Danazol for endometriosis. It essentially cuts off your female hormones. I was on too high of a dose and it caused my bladder to act up. When the dose was adjusted down, the symptoms went away. The second time was about two years ago when I started to again have problems with endometriosis and hormone fluctuations. After a couple of weeks the symptoms just went away.

Perhaps you need to adjust hormones if you're taking them?

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 11:35 AM

So soon after your surgery, this is quite a common feeling and since a UTI has been ruled out, sounds very much like normal healing. You have a lot of bruising and inflammation in the area, not to mention stitches. Remember that inflammation is a normal part of the healing process and I had feelings of pressure there for several weeks.

You are in very early days, so please continue to look after yourself, to rest a lot and pamper yourself.

A little word of warning about cranberry juice - some of us find it very acidic and it makes my bladder burn badly.
Unread 05-15-2007, 12:40 PM

My Urinalysis was negative, but culture was positive after surgery! Did they do a culture? Also - before surgery all my cultures and Urinalyses were negative - can be another type of cystitis - keep asking questions and consider a urologist. It can be post surgery healing too - but you do not want to prolong recovery with an undiscovered infection. I had a mixup with my doctors office that has left me on extra weeks of antibiotic that is not pleasant. Keep asking!
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Hi Kathi!

From everything I've heard & read, this is pretty normal after this kind of surgery. Even though I was sure I didn't have a UTI, they still tested to make sure. This was about 2 weeks post-op. If I may ask, did you have any bladder work done? I did so I've definitely gone through spasming, etc. of the bladder. Even without bladder work being done, it gets moved, bumped, etc. while the hys. is being done. My urologist also told me that the bladder sometimes sits in a little different position after a hys., since they've removed its neighboring organ, & has to re-adjust itself. I'm not a doc but since your UA came back clean, I'd guess this is probably part of normal healing--but, of course, for any questions or concerns, always call your doc.

Best wishes,
Sue
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:25 PM

I had the bladder spasms, twinges, etc. I took cranberry capsules for about a month just to be sure. I think it's all healing.
Unread 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Kathim,

Get another urine test. Mine initially came back clear (last night 3 hr hospital emerg visit) then I went to my doc today and sure enough it came back positive!

The explanation was that if the infection is in it's early stages it may not show up.

I would suggest you get another test. Good luck!
Unread 05-16-2007, 12:20 PM

I too had the same feeling went in for urine test 1 week post op and it came back clear but gave me meds anyway for an UTI..next day I had flu like symtoms and after 4 days went back to the doc and found I had a bacterial infection which really kept me down..Good Luck..
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Yessssssssssss I have infection !!!!!!!!!

Well......just like many of you said my urinalysis was negative but the culture grew a LOT of stuff !!!!!!! So my PCP is putting me on Levaquin and the pee-orange pills !!!!
Just got the word a few min ago !!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register