First post - heart valve patient about to get a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First post - heart valve patient about to get a hysterectomy First post - heart valve patient about to get a hysterectomy

Unread 12-02-2006, 10:39 PM
First post - heart valve patient about to get a hysterectomy

Hello - As I begin this, I am nearly doubled over with pain from what I hope may be my last menstrual cycle. They have become frequent and ghastly events. My new OB/GYN's office will be calling me this coming week to schedule me for a hysterectomy; I hope to keep my ovaries and cervix. I was born with some heart defects and I had to get a new aortic porcine tissue valve to replace a failing bicuspid valve three years ago; happily I'm only on aspirin therapy and not Coumadin. I am 45 now and I've been getting fevers (not hot flashes) each cycle, at the beginning of my cycles, which have been of concern to my doctors. I've been diagnosed with multiple fibroids and probable adenomyosis. I hope I don't have endometriosis also. I've been on this site for a great deal of the afternoon, reading everything I can. Has anyone who is reading this had any kind of similar medical history and, if so, would you care to post any comments and/or experiences please? I'd like to read and learn and know all I can about all of this. The surgeon is going to do the thing laparoscopically and I'll have three small incisions. They won't matter because I already look like a quilt from heart surgeries. Happily, the super DH doesn't mind. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Hi PrincessPooky

I haven't run across any posts specific to members with valve replacement facing hyst - but hopefully if there are some out there they will reply. In the meantime, I wanted to send you a & you to HysterSisters. It sounds like you've been though a whole lot already. I hope the hysterectomy helps you.

My FIL has a porcine aortic valve and my 16 yo son has aortic stenosis & aortic insufficiency - so he will be having his aortic valve replaced in the future. (Valvoplasty has bought him some time.)

Anyway, I am hoping your valve is working well. It probably goes without saying that they will want you on significant prophylactic antibiotic coverage and maybe give you some anticoagulants as well.?? Did the cardiologist say yet? Many immobilized patients get Lovenox injections now. (<Its a heparin given by daily injection) Don't know if you'd be a candidate for that or not, but I have seen it used frequently in patients at risk for clots. My FIL wanted a tissue valve so he wouldn't have to use Coumadin, but he ended up with atrial fib and had to go on it anyway. Oh well. Valve replacements are wonderful things.
Please keep us posted on what you find out - both from the GYN and the Cardiology standpoint too, okay? I will keep you in my that all goes well for you.

Thinking of you & sending s,
Beth
Unread 12-03-2006, 02:13 PM

Hi Beth -

Thank you for your pleasant reply and the cheerful welcome. I printed out an abbreviation key from this site but it doesn't have FIL on it; is that father in law? I hope all goes well for your FIL and your son, regarding the valve issues. I had A-fib post-op but was readmitted and put on Sotalol, which kicked it. The longer you're in A-fib, the harder it is to get out of it though; one of my uncles is on Coumadin for A-fib too, for 20+ years now.

When I have a specific date for the hysterectomy, I'll post that; I hope to find out this week. I am nervous about the clotting issue.

Thank you again, Beth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2006, 02:48 PM

I'd ask your doctor if there is any reason you need to keep your cervix. I am told when you keep it that you can still have mini periods and cramping every month.
Unread 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonflower221
I'd ask your doctor if there is any reason you need to keep your cervix. I am told when you keep it that you can still have mini periods and cramping every month.
Thank you for that comment too, Moonflower; I'll have to check on that. I read something about that somewhere on this site yesterday and would like to ask the OB/GYN how common that outcome is.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register