Work the day before the hyster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Work the day before the hyster? Work the day before the hyster?

Unread 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Work the day before the hyster?

I was planning on working the day before my hysterectomy but now I am reading about the bowel prep day. Don't want to deal with that at work sure co-workers would appreciate me not doing the bowel prep at work.

One more thing to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM

Yes, you definitely don't want to do the bowel prep at work. Also, not a bad idea, I think, to have the day to rest a bit and do something fun before you start the bowel prep. You may also need to do some last minute things around the house to get ready for surgery and your eventual return home. I didn't have to start the bowel prep until 5 pm, so I went to lunch (light and easily digestible) and had my nails done that day before heading home to start the (uugh!) bowel prep.

Best wishes to you for your surgery!! As one who got to surgery totally exhausted and worn out...I strongly recommend NOT doing that! I think it makes a big difference to you in your recovery if you are somewhat rested before hand.
Unread 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM

Hiya! I agree with the getting rest the day before idea! Has your doctor told you that you will definitely be needing a bowel prep tho? I''m pretty sure that I don't have to have one, however my pre-op is tomorrow, so i'll know for sure then. However, there are alot of people that don't need it, or so i have read. Good luck and best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 01:29 AM

I took two days off before my surgery and I think it was the best thing I ever did for myself. It gave me time to take care of putting little extra things together to take to the hospital, and to just rest a bit.
I initially thought it would be good to go to work because it would take my mind off of it, but after talking to other women I changed my mind.
Glad I did.
Unread 02-28-2008, 01:46 AM

I worked the day before my surgery. I didn't have bowel prep, and I really did't want extra time to sit around and think about what would soon be happening to me.

We all are so different!
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:17 AM

I work a flex schedule, longer hours and every other Monday off. My surgery is on a Tuesday, but that Monday is not my day off. I talked to my manager and we decided I would work next Monday and take that Monday as my day off. I would not have my head in what I was doing if I was here (no bowel prep for me, so that wasn't a concern). However, rather than resting or doing something fun, I plan to completely take apart the bathroom and bedroom, the two places I will be living for a week or two, and thoroughly cleaning them. To each his own, lol!
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:32 AM

I worked a 12 hr. shift the day before, but I didn't have to do any preps. The less I thought about "the day", the better.

Wishing you the best.
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:00 AM

My surgery is tomorrow. I am working today, but I will only be here half a day. I need time for the bowel prep and getting some last minute chores done around the house. I don't think I could have stayed home all day though as I am an emotional wreck!
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:26 AM

I am taking off the day before to rest up since I have to be at the hospital 5.30am. I would not be able to concentrate on work anyway. As far as I know I am not having a bowel prep, the initial instructions was nothing after midnight but I have my Pre-op with the surgeon today so we'll see.
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM

I stayed home the day before just to do the bowel prep. There was no option to be at work after I drank the "stuff". I couldn't even leave the house.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register