Having second thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having second thoughts Having second thoughts

Unread 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Having second thoughts

I'm 35 and having a complete on Feb. 1st. I am doing this voluntarily, my doctor put it off for a year but I didn't change my mind. Let me give a little history my mother died at the age of 42 she had a hysterectomy around my age and there was something wrapped around her ovaries (I was only 12 so of course they didn't tell me everything) later she was diagnosed with cancer on her spine. My sister died of uteran cancer at the age of 32, my aunt recently died of ovarian cancer at the age of 52. Looking at this has me terrified of leaving my kids without their mother at such a young age. I am through having kids so that is not an issue, I am more terrified of the surgery itself.

I am choosing this course as a peace of mind. I have been having abnormal periods over the last couple of years and I have tried treating with medicine but it didn't work. So my doctor did feel like this is something I should do.

I guess I have been having second thoughts since it is getting closer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Re: Having second thoughts

Hi, I can understand your anguish, I too have been in the dillema of wiether to have a total or sub-total hysterectomy, my mom died of ovarian cancer and my 2 aunts have had breast cancer, I am having my uterus removed because of fibroids that are pressing on my bladder, I wanted a permanent solution, I have decided to have a total because I don't want to spend the rest of my life wondering if and when I may get ovarian cancer like my mom, I want to enjoy the rest of my life.
From what you have mentioned it seems that there is a family risk, at the end of the day it is something you will have to live with and is personal to you.
I wish you all the best, I think that the waiting is the worst, I go in this Thursday and although I have not been able to make my mind up untill this last week I feel that I have made the right decision.
Linda x
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM

I know that it is decision that only I can make but it helps talking to others out there that are going through the same thing. Good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM

I don't think second thoughts are uncommon from all the posts I have seen. I am 6 days post op, and I started having second thoughts ahead of time as well. Was I doing the right thing? How would it change my life? Etc. I had uterine ablation therapy in 2002 so hadn't had a period in 7 years, but opted to have a TVH. I still had the symptoms of a period and pain in the middle of the month, and I just wanted it gone. Over the past few months, I had been getting headaches 4 times a month as well. I am now glad I went through with the surgery. I opted for and had a TVH, BSO, AP repairs and bladder sling. I had 3rd degree prolapse of my bladder and uterus. My doctor questioned having my ovaries removed, but I wanted it all gone (she told me I'd probably be back in a year to have them removed any way and I didn't want to go through surgery again). I am surprised at how good I feel, especially after having second thoughts. However, my doctor confirmed it was a good thing to do because my prolapse was worse than she thought and I had adenomyosis of the uterus. There's a lot to be said for peace of mind. I wish both of you the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register