Should I or shouldn't I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I or shouldn't I? Should I or shouldn't I?

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:28 PM
Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi. I am new to this site. I want to thank you all in advance for being there.

I'm currently contemplating having a hysterectomy. I have a LONG history with endometriosis and adhesions. I've had 1 laparotomy and 5 laparoscopic surgeries for endo. My last lap ended with the removal of 1 tube and ovary due to adhesions. I'm 44, never conceived (after many infertility treatments), and had a life of pain and misery with every period. My gyne has told me at almost every check up to have the surgery, but I've resisted because I've had so much surgery and I just didn't want anymore. Besides, I am very afraid of life (sexual, hormonal, etc.) after a hysterectomy. Lately, it seemed that things were getting better. But I just experienced the worst pain I have ever had with my period. I was unable to walk or even stand up for several hours. My left thigh and leg actually went numb and the pain was unbearable.

So, now I'm seriously considering being done with all of this and going for it. After reading posts on this site, I am beginning to think that just maybe I can do this. Any words of wisdom out there for me? I sure could use some guidance and support.

Please feel free to e-mail me at Dasher001@aol.com.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Judy

WELCOME to the site, we are so glad you have joined us.
I had a LAVH/RSO and bladder repair last Spe. I had severe Endeo, fibroids and a prolapsed uterus and bladder. I had sufferd for years with especially the endeo. I had a lap the year previous to my Hyst and was told by my surgeon then to have the Hyst ASAP. Yeah right, being the worlds biggest chicken and in NO WAY wanting a major op or another trip to the castle i told myself that i could live with it. It was fine for the first three months after the lap and then steadily got worse and worse. I began even feeling really sick with each and every period. Finally went back to my surgeon realising tht this would indeed not get better and that i had to do something about it. I am now 7 months post and looking baci now, I can honestly say it was the best thing that i ever could have done for me. I feel soooo much better. It did take along time to get any form of energy etc but I am now back to normal, loving life without periods.
On the Hormone issue, i am lucky to have retained my left ovary so no HRT here, I am getting help from my homeopath for trouble with hot flashes but they have calmed right down. As for sex.... It is better than it has been in years.
I wish you the best with your decision to have a hyst. It is one that you have to be totally comfortable and at peace with. Endeo does not go away.
We will all be here for you and send you hugs Vicki
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:59 PM
Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi Judy and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I had a hyster 7 weeks ago tomorrow. I can honestly say that it was the best thing I could have done to improve my way of life. I have no pain, bleeding, cramping. I sleep at night. I have a positive attitude again. I am alive and feeling wonderful!

I had adhesions, I was in pain and didn't know why. My uterus and abdominal wall were adhered together. No wonder I couldn't sit, stand, walk or just do anything without pain and bleeding. They thought it was fibroids at first, but once they got in there, they saw the problem.

I hope you continue to visit this wonderful site and gather up the information you need to make an informed decision on if you want surgery or not. Remember to get more than one opinion, I had 4!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 05:08 PM
Should I or shouldn't I?

Welcome

Go for it.. I posted for the first time about 4 days ago after reading and reading this site. I have decided to go for it. The thing I hear the most besides "it's your decision" is how much better life is afterwards. I will schedule my surgery when I find out if I can get it paid for. I want a "normal" life like most of the people that have had the surgery. I hear over and over again how much better life is afterwards. Probably like you, I felt like I was the only human being that had these problems with my periods. Just being on this site helps me realize that no matter what, I'm not alone. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Should I or shouldn't I?

DCM, no one is ever alone! I that about Hyster Sisters. I always felt like I was part of a big family! People actually care about you and your feelings here. That's why I'm always here I think!

Sara
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:46 AM
Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi Judy,
I understand exactly how you feel. I am scheduled for TAH/BSO on May 10 but it was only after a year of agonizing over what to do that I finally made the decision. I have had literally months of horrible bleeding with no break; terrible cramps, no energy to do anything. I was so afraid of what my life would be like after the surgery, scared it would destroy my sex life, just scared in general. But after reading story after story on this website of women who have had this done and whose quality of life is so much better, it made me certain that I have made the right decision. I have a wonderful husband who supports me totally in this and I can't help but believe that having this surgery will be the beginning of a new life that is free of pain and misery. Keep reading this website and your decision will be easy. Very best of luck to you - you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 04-17-2002, 07:09 AM
You are not alone

Hi Judy,

I'm 33, and will be having a tah/bso in June for endo and possibly adeno! I can tell you that for me, having this surgery will be the best thing for me. I will be pain free and will finally be able to lead a life that will be fun and enjoyable!! I hope that you will feel the same with whatever decision you make. Remember, you are the one in charge of your life, and must make the choice that is best for you!!! We will all support you no matter what!

Hang in there, and if you have any questions or concerns, these ladies are the ones to ask!!

I will be praying for you that God will help you make the best decision for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register