Any runners out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any runners out there? Any runners out there?

Unread 02-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Any runners out there?

Just wondering when you got back to running, and if it took a while before you got back to where you were in stamina?

I am 4 weeks post op and haven't run for around 5 weeks. I started two days ago (with dr. permission), on a couch to 5k program with a friend that is new to running. I thought that it would be a breeze, but I was running out of puff by the end.... I was a little irritated with myself!

On the other hand, it was great to finally be outside for awhile and get those endorphins going, so I should just take what I can!!

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Re: Any runners out there?

I wish I could answer you. I am not even 2 weeks post-op. Before the surgery, I was running 10k... and loved it! Now, just walking from the living room to the kitchen feels like a mini-marathon.
I too was thinking of doing a "learn to run" program once I get the green light from the doctor (won't be for a while I think).
Best of luck in your recovery.

NGL
Unread 02-19-2011, 07:48 AM

I run - treadmill to keep in shape; my main form of cardio. I'm very fit and active, 45, and had LSH on Dec 28 2010. I started walking a week post op then jogged about 10 days post op after seeing my doctor and having her approval. It took me a while to get my stamina back after only 2 weeks off. Came back in about 2-3 weeks as I didn't want to push too much. I'm back to 100%. Totally know what you mean about the endorphins but I also found them by walking briskly to some good tunes; worked up a good sweat. I ate really well during my recovery - snacked on berries not chips, lean protein, veggies. Your body will come back. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks girls! I think that it will take a little while to get back to normal.... I did my second run today on the program and actually felt much better by the end. It felt so good! I am trying to eat better too - it was a little hard at first as I eat when I'm bored :-/ However, the IBS that I have was coming back with a vengeance so I had to stop those emerging bad habits! Lol!
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM

I started running the year before surgery. I quit smoking and soon had a new addiction in running(greatful for a much better addiction)!!! I had a TAH Jan.11th and I am having trouble starting again. I started walking and trying to make it through Cardio Coach 1 ! Since I havent been a long time runner I hope I dont have to start over but it sure is looking like it!!!! Any advise from long time runners would be appreciated!
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM

I had my tah 8/5/10. I started walking the next day and increased my walking mileage daily. I got the green light to run at 4 weeks. It took me
5 more weeks to get back to my marathon distance running. It was like starting over but the muscle memory comes back quickly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register