What is the best sleeping position after a TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the best sleeping position after a TAH? What is the best sleeping position after a TAH?

Unread 05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
What is the best sleeping position after a TAH?

Hey y'all!
What is the best position for sleeping after surgery? I have read some posts and am not really sure. Will I need a body pillow? I am trying to get all the things I need to get done while working 9 days straight. The next day I have off is the day off the surgery. Any advise will be welcome!!
Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2006, 07:28 AM

Well I know the tried and true back way..I know the nurse told me at my pre-op yesterday that, she would show me different ways to keep shifting the body, so maybe one of those ways will be good to sleep in.
I think putting a pillow in front of you while you try to move to the side...but that just seems so painful to me.
Unread 05-02-2006, 07:40 AM

First of all, its a workout getting into position! Just to warn you and the people around you will get tired from watching you. =)
What I found to work the best for me, is multiple pillows, including a small square pillow from home. I slept in shifts rotating from left side, to back, to right side and that helped with soreness maybe - nurses said it was good to move.
Pillow between knees or under them
Pillow behind my back for support (on sides).
Pillow lengthwise for my head and arms - to hug so to speak.
And, a small wedge or pillow for your belly. I happened to have a sweatshirt which I took to be warm of course - but I found by tucking it in under my belly it provided support that I could rearrange, and it would stay put. If you could find a wedge that would be great. As for a body pillow - I found that to be more beneficial in week 2.
Be prepared to use your arms a lot! I did arm curls with 5 pound weights in the month before my surgery for strength and I think it helped. Good luck - I hope everything goes well for you! =)
Take Care!
M.
tah 04/04/06 adenocarcinoma in cervix, cervix and uterus removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2006, 09:54 AM

My nurses made me roll over during my first night which I thought they were being very sadistic pains for but it helped a lot. They said not only would it help get things moving (gas) but would help in healing since I would have more range of motion when I got home. It worked though. It does take forever to get into a position but once your in it, it feels good. I slept with one extra pillow which I put around my tummy mainly to keep DH from accidently hitting it in the night. Was totally paranoid about that. Some ladies have said they slept on their tummys when they got home but I don't think any of them had a TAH. I cringe thinking about even touching my tummy after my TAH, let alone laying on it. OUCH! My tummy hurts just thinking about it right now.
Sleeping will be a challenge for the first few days. But sleep does come again...eventually. You'll get the hang of moving around in the bed and find some comfy spots to sleep in.
Good luck and Happy Soon-to-be Uterus Liberation Day!
Unread 05-02-2006, 09:55 AM

I slept on my back the first week. That is less comfy now and I prefer to alternate between my left and right side. It does take all your arm muscle power, and I'm glad the fabric on our couch is strong enough to take the battering I've given it the last few days!

Pillows? Don't go buying anything special except a small micro bead pillow for against your stomach. They are so soft and comfy and mould themselves to any swelly belly shape. You can get them cheap ($8) in Walmart.
Unread 05-02-2006, 11:12 AM

Just wanted to jump in here...I read somewhere that sleeping in a recliner is helpful? Any input on that? The reason I ask is because I have a reclining sofa, planned on sleeping there for a few weeks. (the bathroom and kitchen are on the first floor, with the bedrooms being up 13 steap steps!)
Unread 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM

I'm normally a tummy sleeper, but since my TAH I've alternated between my back and both sides. I always have a regular-sized pilow under/between my knees. I also use a small micro-bead pillow a lot! In the car, while sleeping, while I'm on the computer, etc. I also have a body pillow which I LOVE. My lower back was killing me when I came out of surgery. I guess I asked my dh to get in bed with me so I could lean against his back to try and ease the pain. I don't remember any of this, but it prompted him to run to Walmart and get me a body pillow. I've used it at night ever since. It's great to use as a wedge under my back when sleeping on my side. Now, it's actually letting me make a slow return to sleeping on my tummy by laying more on it. I highly recommend it!
Unread 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM

In the hospital the adjustable bed helped, I slept on my side after the first night, but not flat. I spent 8 days in the castle so by the time I came home I had no trouble on the flat bed, just used extra pillows the first few weeks. My bed is a higher one which made it easier. I didn't sit in our recliner for about a week because is so low.
Unread 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM

I slept on my back the first week with a pillow under my knees. The second week, I slept on my side with a body pillow under my belly and inbetween my knees. It took some work to get into that position.

Donna kay
Unread 05-02-2006, 06:36 PM

i did the switching from one side,to my back,to the other side,and all over again...one thing that did help me was using a good pillow between my knees...im not sure exactly why this helps,unless maybe it takes some of the pressure of your stomach when laying on your side,but i felt much much better with the pillows there.....good luck on your up coming surgery...sonie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register