Post-op bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op bleeding Post-op bleeding

Unread 02-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Post-op bleeding

Hi! I've my uterus removed on the Jan 20th through key-hole surgery. I did not have any bleeding after the operation until 7 days later. It was brown in color and as the days gone by, the color started to turn bright red. It's been exactly 1 month after the operation and I've gone back to the gynae 4 times. The first visit is to remove the stitches. The 2nd visit is because of the bleeding. The 3rd time I went to see him is due to UAT and urine test shows I've blood in the urine sample. Antibiotic is prescribed to tackle UAT. The 4th visit to the gynae again is that bleeding is getting heavier than before. Each time my gynae sees me, he said the bleeding is due to the internal stitches that are dissolving.

I have friend that has undergone such surgery 3 years ago and according to her, she did not have such post operation symptom.

I'd like to know if this is common and how long will the bleeding continues.

Worried
LN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Re: Post-op bleeding

Hi - I had a TAH/BSO on Jan 25, 2010. I am currently 4 weeks post op. I am having the same bleeding trouble you are. I had no bleeding the first 2 weeks, but have been bleeding (heavy spotting bright red) for 2 weeks. The Dr. office did not seem concerned, said I was doing too much. I go back in 2 weeks and will talk to the Dr. more.

I want to know when it will end too ! Other than that I feel great.
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Hi Nancy

Thanks for sharing your experience. If we have over-exerted ourselves during the post recovery period and which led to the bleeding, I wonder how would this affect us in the long run. Hope your doctor can share this.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Cheers!
Lay Nah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM

Ladies, don't mean to scare you in any way, but sometimes ( very very rare) this prolonged bleeding post op couldbe a sign of a mild clotting dysfunction, or a mild bleeding disorder. I wouldn't bring it up , but that is exactly what happened to me! All I'm trying to say is that if you are not comfortable with your drs explaination of why you are still bleeding( stitches dissolving, infections etc) push them to consult with a hematologist ... And I really do not want to alarm you. Most of the time post op bleeding is totally normal. Best of luck with your recoveries
Unread 02-24-2010, 05:36 AM

minajensen -

I tend to think I have just over exerted myself. I went back to work very early. I don't believe I have a bleeding problem becuase I bled very little during the surgery. I have also had 2 other surgeries in the last 8 months and had no bleeding problems with either of them.

Thanks for the adivce - I will definetly ask the Dr.
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:56 AM

Sorry you all going through this. I do have to say though, I think I would get a second opinion. I didn't bleed but a day or so after surgery, so I was lucky. My doc told me any blood that I would have, should be min and more brown then red. If you are saying, it went from brown to bright red and increasing. Something is going on, even if you stitches are disolving. It still wouldn't be bright red, I would think. I am not a doc though, just MHO. I hope you get some answeres. Best wishes
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM

mine is more of a spotting, it gets a little bit heavier if I over exert. Mine has always been bright red. I had nothing the first 2 weeks after surgery, then it started and has been ongoing for 18 days. Has never stopped. I go back to the dr on Mar 10th (6 week post op check). I will ask her then. If it was heavier I would be more worried, right now it is just a inconvenience. I have not been going for my daily walks because I hate to walk with a pad... At least after 6 weeks I am hoping I can use a tampon if it has not stopped.

I looked in the post op forums and it seems quite a few people have the same problem, so I am hoping everything is ok. I would feel more comfortable if I was spotting the brown blood.

Thanks for your advice !
Unread 02-27-2010, 05:09 AM

I had my surgery the same day. My bleeding has always been light pink or brown and spotting. Last night, I went to the bathroom and had a medium bright red spot on my pad. This was alarming to me. My post op paper says to alert the doctor if I am saturating a pad in less then 2 hours so I will be keeping a good check.
I have been very active and was even a little sore in my lower abdomen yesterday, so I will take it easy this weekend, as I return to work Monday.
Good luck and please keep us posted.
Steph
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:09 AM

Steph -

Mine has been steady spotting since 13 days AFTER surgery Jan 25. Since it has been going on for 3 weeks I started researching it. I think mine might be scar tissue on the vaginal cuff which they can take care of in the office with silver nitrate . Of course I am definetly no doctor, but this seems to happen to many people.

I have also read that as your stitches dissolve you will get some sporadic spotting so hopefully that is your problem. I talked to the nurse after 2 weeks of spotting and told her I feel great so she said I could wait to come in till my normal post op appt on Mar 10. However to call if the bleeding increases or I feel any discomfort.

Make sure you call your dr if you get at all nervous.

I will post what my dr. says on the 10th. Let me know what your dr says.

Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register