I am home after hysterectomy!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am home after hysterectomy!!! I am home after hysterectomy!!!

Unread 09-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I am home after hysterectomy!!!

Hello all! so glad to be back home, though I miss the hospital food! My TAH was on August 31 and I was home in 4 days. Everything went great!! My surgeon and oncologist removed my uterus and cervix (ovaries and tubes went with a cyst 4 years ago) but did not have to sample the nodes as they said the cancer never progressed through the uterine walls. Boy was I relieved. And all the dread i had about my being very overwieght (240 pounds), having diabetes, and high blood pressure was totally unnecessary. They take good care of you no matter the circumstances!

The first night was tough...I could not sleep with those things blowing up my legs, the oxygen in my nose and the catheter which prevented me from sleeping on my side. The next day, i was given breakfast- all liquids (jello, apple juice, etc) and made to walk alot. I walked twice between meals. They wouldnt even let me lie down, i had to sit up in a chair after they made up my bed! Sitting up feels real good!!! like you never had a hysterectomy! After a liquid lunch and using the toliet for urination, I got all around the place. I felt OK!!! Hey this isnt as bad as I thought it would be!

The only complication I had was minor - blood pressure raised but it came down on day 2. By day 3, the doctor asked me if I wanted to go home! I was floored! I thought I would wait one more day so I was there from Wed - Saturday.

I do not know if having a bikini cut made a difference but this was presented to me on the day of surgery. My doc said he would confer with the oncologist who was assisting in the surgery and I guess she agreed as that is what I had. He said my uterus was small (no children) and this incision would be less painful and heal faster!

All in all, I have to say that having a hysterectomy was a fairly positive experience for me! I am enjoying doing crosswords, writing email, watching movies, and so on! It is definitely not something to fear! Waiting was the hardest part! Trust me! And good luck to all you other gals going in soon!!!

Tricia 52
PS. Still staying away from cigs.....10 days now and after 30 years of smoking, i am not even tempted! But it was a good idea to quit...I never coughed once after waking up!
PPS. Buying the Ez Grabber from your store has been a godsend. I take it everyday as I walk around house to "pick up" lint and things. My floors are great! I can also grab things so i dont have to bend down, like cereal boxes...made my own breakfast today while hubby slept! Thanks to the grabber, a real Godsend!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2005, 04:46 PM

glad you are doing great. I feel so good .I can't believe I am not in pain. I had to stay 5 days. Due to throwing up now that hurt. I was cut from my belly button to below my hair line. I like sitting instead of laid down. I have master on my side. only because when i am on my back it hurts. I wonder if they bruse me when they move me. I have a harrington rod on my spine. I feel like i could do anything but don't yet. I go tomorrow to get my staples out I wonder if that will hurt. I had a TAH by the way. keep doing great. and you will feel so much better not smoking.
Aunt booboo
Unread 09-05-2005, 04:56 PM

Hi,
You sound just great!!!! If you feel pretty good now you will be shocked at how much better you feel in a couple of weeks. Just be careful and don't overdo anything. Remember the recovery period is very important. Walking is great. You should try to drink alot of water. Congratulations on quitting smoking. That is terrific. Keep up the great work.

Amy r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia52
though I miss the hospital food! And all the dread i had about my being very overwieght (240 pounds!

I could not sleep with those things blowing up my legs, Tricia 52
PS. Still staying away from cigs.....10 days now and after 30 years of smoking, i am not even tempted!

PPS. Buying the Ez Grabber from your store has been a godsend.
"blush"... you know Tricia, I miss the hospital food a little. ( shhh... my husbands a chef and he's wonderful... but he works 6 nights a week ( he even prepares food for my gyno and he dine's there with his wife 3 nights a week. hehe... but when I'm home in the evenings I have special K or wheat thins. It was amazing having breakfast service and lunch and supper. WOW..

When I had my first daughter was born 14 yrs ago I delivered her at 245lbs and years pasted reached 265. I lost 90lbs over a year with low fat diet and walking. Big battle... But I know your concern on that.. I was worried alittle too.

Those bags on my legs drove me "BaTTy"!!!

I too am smoke free.. it is 7 days for me smoke free. I ache only a few times since I got home but not bad. "Hoping to stay strong"!!

[font=Georgia]I too love my grabber. We had them at my work for 3.99 and I knew that was a good deal. nice for picking up papers and hair brush, bath mat on the floor etc.
Wonderful!!![/FONT]

Congratulations on feeling so great and... WELCOME HOME Tricia!
Unread 09-05-2005, 07:23 PM

I am so proud of all you X-smokers!! I quit over 3 1/2 years ago, and can't see myself ever going back. I have to be honest though, the narcotics made me want to smoke again, even after all this time!! Again, congratulations to you two!! You have done the **** near impossible.

Patty
Unread 09-06-2005, 05:28 AM
thank You patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseeAz
I am so proud of all you X-smokers!! I quit over 3 1/2 years ago, and can't see myself ever going back. I have to be honest though, the narcotics made me want to smoke again, even after all this time!! Again, congratulations to you two!! You have done the **** near impossible.

Patty
Well "Thank You Patty"!!

Yesterday I was tempted out of frustration after a " battle of "witz" between my husband and my teenage daughter.

They both love a brain battle. You swear the two have the same "Chrome-a-zones"... but that's what happens when you live together for so long ( daughters from my first marriage.. my my ex- never was and still isn't involved as of today. I was married for 8 yrs too. ODD huh.
oops off subject again. I notice I ramble more with no smoking. ( forgive me sis's)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register