makes me wonder why I did it | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

makes me wonder why I did it makes me wonder why I did it

Unread 01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
makes me wonder why I did it

the 8th was my surgery, "tried" to do laproscopic, however, I have a slice across my stomach that I still have pain from, dr. originally prescribed demoral, my aunt (a nurse) said I didnt think anyone prescribed that anymore (i'm in backwoods AL, no offense) cause me breathing problems, called in Lortab, was ok if I took 2. Had a laproscopic cyst removed 8 yrs. ago and was given percocet and that pain was nothing compared to this. 14 days after surgery called dr. and he said take aleve. wishing I had just ovaries taken out, but according to dr. I originally had i had a mass on uterus and cyst on ovaries, however this dr. didnt even do an ultrasound and is always in a hurry. everyone keeps saying you'll be glad you did it, well right now i'm wishing I hadnt. I know everyone is different, wahts the norm for pain? and the back pain is another whole subject, sleeping on back all the time. keep telling myself ppl are worse off, but i'm just tired of this. BTW I am new here but sooo glad i found you all. HAGD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Re: makes me wonder why I did it

Hi there. All I can offer is that the pain does get better and remember that the healing process began the minute the surgery was over.

I was allowed to take Vicodin for the first 4 or 5 weeks. Are you saying your doctor won't prescribe any stronger medicine?

I found that I was much more comfortable sleeping on my side with a pillow kind of under me/beside me. Maybe that would help. I had severe back pain for a while due to being on the operating table for over 6 hours but, like the other pain, it eventually subsided.

I'm glad you found this site, you will find much support here. I hope you feel better soon!:hugs5:
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Hi peppermint, wow you had yours a while ago? my dr. dont want to prescribe me anything!! its only been 2 wks. and he's telling me take aleve. i had 2 clots, they said they've seen that only 3times under the incision, so I'm constantly draining which he said is good as long as its dark and not reg. blood, so i have those steri strips which should be coming off on there own anyday according to him. He said he doesnt want to prescribe me anything and cause any other problems!?!?!?
I'm thinking, ok, so you'd rather me be in pain cause your worried i'll become addicted?? i really wish he had his stomach sliced open and i could tell him to take aleve. I'm also hi risk for strokes and dont take ibuprofen, think aleve is along the same line of meds. i wake in the morning and my legs stiffen and its like i start stretching w/0 thinking about it, which of course causes pain, been trying to lie on my side, but then i worry about the bleeding/draining and the incision. It will get better, it will get better, it will get better, wont it??? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Laura,

I would go see another doctor. If you're in pain and your doctor isn't willing to help you manage it, you need to find someone who will. You might talk to your aunt and see what she suggests for pain management and finding a doctor. I'm sorry I can't offer any other advice. You're in my prayers.
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
Laura,

I would go see another doctor. If you're in pain and your doctor isn't willing to help you manage it, you need to find someone who will. You might talk to your aunt and see what she suggests for pain management and finding a doctor. I'm sorry I can't offer any other advice. You're in my prayers.
Second all of this - Your doctor is being way too conservative unless you've had addiction issues in the past. Sending you a huge and {{{FEEL BETTER SOON}}} vibes.
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM

Like Tortuga and bellacat said, seek out another doctor. It's possible that you may have other undiagnosed problems and you do need someone that would take into consideration your risk for stroke while managing your pain.

I was sent home with Percocet and 600mg of Ibuprofin. Was fortunate not have to use the whole supply. I think what really helped me was that I had an epidural in addition to the general anesthesia.

s and sending healing energy to you!
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:42 PM

so if i go to another dr. they can take care of the "aftercare"? I just thought i was stuck with him since the surgery was done and over with. He told me to call his office monday, guess he might prescribe something than but honestly dont know. he told me right after surgery he does not prescribe percocet, but he gave me a 5 day supply, 5 day demerol and 5 day lortab. since i'm on my 15th day, i still have 1/2 demerol left, not worth the risk, cant breath, have headache, and does nothing for the pain, and kept 2 percocet back in case i really really need them. dont feel like i should have to ration my medicine and I have good insurance, that may actually be the problem, who knows.

ps-unfortunately my aunt (nurse) lives 12 hrs. away or i definitely would've gone to her dr. or her suggestion. she has soo many problems with her husband (disabled) kids( thiefs) and still works full time I hate to bother her, but she answers my emails when she has time.
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM

I was being followed by both my ob gyn and my general surgeon. My general surgeon asked me if my pain was under control also asked what I was given for the pain (demerol). He then added another drug to help make my pain meds last longer. Neither one of my docs wanted me to be in pain, guess I was lucky!
About the clot under the incision. My incision was weepy after surgery and opened a week after surgery. I had to pack it multiple times a day. Don't be surprised or upset it this happens. I pray it does not! Also, both my docs told me that bright red blood in an OPEN incision was a sign of healthy tissue and healing.
If you can be seen by another ob gyn OR general surgeon I definately would. Even your primary family doc would be great. I know that some docs do not like to give strong pain meds due to the many patients THEY have had to become addicted. Unfortunately it does happen. BUT this is a legit pain and YOU NEED pain meds for this!!
On another note, I understand the the "backwood AL' comment! LOL I lived in LA (lower alabama) for several years! Glad to see I'm not the only one that says that!
Hope you get some well deserved pain relief! HUGS!!
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:01 PM

i am also in alabama...they gave me tylox and ibu 800 mg
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:26 PM

I am 3 weeks post op and i still take vicodin ut only mid day and at the end of the night.. Some day i can get away with just motrin, first week home i took 4 vicodins a day,second week i was taking 3 a day and motrin at night .. Now i am down 2 2 a day.. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 7 inch cut vertical from belly button 2 pelvic bone.. I think if i didnt work i would probably not need any pain meds but i am almost of of the script they gave me when i was released so i am going to just do the motrin thing next week. Will let you know how it goes...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register