TAH Swollen belly and pain 10 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swollen belly and pain 10 weeks post hysterectomy Swollen belly and pain 10 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 03-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Swollen belly and pain 10 weeks post hysterectomy

I'm 10 weeks out from a tah and I am in so much pain at the end of my 10 hour shifts at work. I cannot fit into my normal size pants and as the day goes on the pain and swelling increases. I have been taking alleve or Tylenol during the day and a Tramadol to ease the pain when I get home. Called doc to refill Tramadol but she refused cause she thinks it's a gi problem. I don't see how it can be gi since if I have a day off and take it easy I feel much better, but the more active I am the worse it gets. If it were my stomach or intestines I don't feel that would be the case. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Re: Swollen belly and pain 10 weeks post hysterectomy

I'm only half of where you are, but didn't feel like I was healing right about a week into post op.My Dr kept saying to wait and see, and last week decided to send me to physical therapy. Turns out I have nerve damage and was right to listen to my body. I have also made an appointment with a pain management Dr next week. Don't forget you can also contact your primary care physician as well. Your surgeon may not have the answer for you, don't be afraid to get a second opinion if your body is telling you something is wrong.
Unread 03-14-2015, 02:52 AM

My stomach is still swollen (and swells more when I am active) and I have the occasional niggle. I think it can just take a long time to recover. Have you asked your doctor to give you more information about what she thinks it might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2015, 09:16 PM

I am almost 9 weeks post op and have a lot of the same issues as you. Theres no way I could work a 10 hour shift now. I think your symptoms are normal as it takes a long time to heal. I did a lot of searches on this site and found so many older posts that addressed the same issue we're having with "Swelly belly". I was glad to learn others had these issues as well because I too am concerned about my stomach swelling as the day goes on. It s also painful when it gets swollen and sometimes I feel a burning pain and often I also feel like I have to pee. I also seem to be worse when I do more activity. I am a stay at home mom now and I while I can do most of my regular activities, I find I have to rest some or the pain is just too much. I just saw my doctor and, like you, she suggested the "bloating" was digestive and didn't seem to know about the "swelly belly". But I also don't feel like there's anything wrong with my digestive system. I've had plenty of stomach issues in the past and think I can tell the difference! Hang in there!
Unread 03-14-2015, 09:20 PM

I would make sure your digestive system is ok.
Having said that, i still get swelly belly and almost a year....
I hear that even ladies 2 years out can get swelly belly from overdoing it.
So probably just the swelly belly.
Take care
Unread 03-14-2015, 10:47 PM

My belly still swells and gets painful after over a year. The more walking and physical work I do, the worse it gets. I found that if I don't eat much, it feels better. Not sure if it is gas or if eating and expanding my stomache causes it to swell... Ugh, I wish it would stop.
Unread 03-15-2015, 07:01 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Cjlachance i agree with you. I've had many gi issues my whole life and I know that's not what this is. I tried an experiment yestetday: I put an icy hot patch on my belly before I went to work and even though I was still swollen and in pain, it was a lot less then at the end of my shift the day before. Now Im convinced it has to just be the muscles and tendons reacting to going from inactivity to very active. Counted steps the other day and it was over 10000 and 6 miles. Compare that to how sedinteary I was before going back to work. I'm going to try talking to doc one more time about pain meds for the next month... I can't work less right now, and see what she says. I hope you all feel better every day and thanks again for the support!
Unread 04-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Re: Swollen belly and pain 10 weieks post hysterectomy

I am sorry you guys are going through this but glad to am not alone. I just went in for my 6 mo. Post op. Same issues swelling look pregnant ache lower abdomen worse when I am active. And toward the end of the day. Doctor told me it us all in my head I don't know what to do. I know what I know about myself. I can't wear any my clothes I went from a size 9 to a tight 14 help me out
Unread 04-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Re: Swollen belly and pain 10 weieks post hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammieanita View Post
I am sorry you guys are going through this but glad to am not alone. I just went in for my 6 mo. Post op. Same issues swelling look pregnant ache lower abdomen worse when I am active. And toward the end of the day. Doctor told me it us all in my head I don't know what to do. I know what I know about myself. I can't wear any my clothes I went from a size 9 to a tight 14 help me out
Be persistent with your doc or get a second opinion. Maybe go to your GP and ask what to do. At six months you may need to see a different doctor. I hope you feel better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register