New | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-01-2002, 10:09 AM
New

I am new to this site. Someone named Sue, sent me the link in response to post I made on an AOL board. I cannot thank her enough. This is THE BEST SITE on the internet. I came here scared, confused, thought I was alone in my particular set of problems... am a good 75 lbs overweight (have lost 36 since sept 1 so I was also bigger than I am now) and have been diagnoised with adenomyosis and fibroids and some cysts on my right ovary, though my pain is all on the left. my dr. is pushing me to use the lupron before the hysterectomy... I think its because he wants to buy me more time to lose weight... though I thought lupron hampered weightloss...
anyway... I am being scheduled for sometime in march...
This site and every one of you are a Godsend... I am still scared but with this site, you all and the Help of God, I will make it through this healthy and whole !!!
thank you so much..
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2002, 10:44 AM
Welcome Karah

Hello Sister,
I too am rather new to the site but I find it also to be a Godsend and an answer to my s !!! I just got my surgery date today at my pre-op appointment with my . I am very excited that it's only a little over a month away. I don't want to scare you, but have you taken Lupron before? I took it 10 years ago for endometreosis and had some unsettling side-effect that I think you should know about. (This is just my experience and it doe not mean it will happen to you). I had 3 to 4 bald spots from my hair falling out (each 1-2 inches in diameter), my eyelashes and 1 eyebrow fell out as well. I wore wigs and hair weaves for 5 0f the 6 months that I was to get the shots & I opted not to get the last one. I encourage you to ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable in making any decisions. Here's a big from me and feel free to email me anytime. God bless and keep you,

fleursdegeo@aol.com
Unread 02-01-2002, 10:47 AM
New

It would be a good idea to ask your doctor why you should have Lupron before surgery. Often it's given to shrink extremely large fibroids (doesn't always work) in order to make certain types of surgery easier. I doubt the intent is to buy more time for you to lose weight- I think they would simply advise you to lose weight. Are you currently 75 lbs overweight, or is the 36 lb loss before then? I don't think 75 lbs overweight will prevent you from having surgery, unless you have other health issues associated with it. You might find some doctors are more/less concerned about overweight patients and surgery.

Having said that, I want to congratulate you on losing 36 pounds!That is really fantastic, and you should feel great about that. At the rate you are losing, you should be in great shape this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2002, 01:52 PM
New

Hello Kara
Welcome to Hystersisters. You have come to the right place.
This is a wonderful site with tons of information, and truly caring women.
On the home page there are pull down menus that are a great source of information.
Please keep reading and posting, and come join us in the Chat Room, where you can meet women in the same place you are, and women who have gone before you.
I am gald you are here.
Take Care
Unread 02-01-2002, 07:26 PM
New

Kara. Welcome to hystersisters. We're sooo glad you were directed here. This is a GREAT place to be.

We'll be with you every step of the way.
Unread 02-01-2002, 08:04 PM
How'd You Do It?

Great Job Kara....

I want to try to lose some weight before I go in for surgery. I'm terrified that I will gain tons of weight afterward. I go on those "on again, off again" diets. Dr. Atkins, Sugar Busters, etc. I am not as committed to stay on them now though. How have you lost your weight? Is there a thread for weight loss? I think it would be nice to start on and give eachother encouragement. I have seen many on the web but they charge for everything. Maybe we can exchange info and help eachother during our recovery too.
Unread 02-01-2002, 08:24 PM
New

Welcome Kara. Glad you found the site. I'm pretty new here
too, but isn't this place great ?

As far as the Lupron, I agree with flowercrazy. Talk to your
doctor about why he wants you to take it. I also know that it is used to attempt to shrink fibroids. My health insurance has to preauthorize surgeries. I asked my GYN what we would do if the insurance company denied my request for surgery. I asked her if I would have to take Lupron. She told me that she won't give it to her patients. She doesn't like what it does to women (side effects, etc).

By the way, congrats on your weight loss. I just finished 10 days of taking Biaxin for a sinus infection. Had to eat almost all day long so that meds wouldn't give me terrible abdominal cramps. I'm only 10 days away from my surgery and am worried about gaining weight during my recovery. I've decided that I'm just going to cut back some - not eat as much as I usually do - since I won't be able to exercise like I normally do. I'm not going to keep any "junk" food around the house - if it's not there, I won't be able to eat it !!

Just watch what you eat. Don't eat stuff loaded with fats, etc..
Sorry Brownitz, but I don't believe in those so-called "diets".
They are unfortunately designed to lose weight quick, but not keep it off. If anyone really wants to lose weight, watch what you eat, how much you eat, and exercise. If you have to, find the good old "food pyramid" and eat accordingly. Or better yet, follow the plan for a diabetic. You even get to snack then ! But that helps your metabolism stay higher and better able to burn calories. I'm not a registered dietician or anything, just someone who pretty much follows the "diabetic diet" because of my hypoglycemia. Oh, another idea - Richard Simmons has a wonderful program called "Food Mover". It's not a fad diet or
anything like that. Just helps you to eat the right amounts of the right type of foods. You can check out his website at
richardsimmons. com (I think it is).

Congrats again ! Take care,
Dawn
Unread 02-02-2002, 01:45 PM
New

Thank you all so much for your responses. I've pretty much decided against the lupron because its a temporary fix at best and I am in so much pain I want to be free of it and live without the worry about when I'll be getting it again. I just have to work on the fear of dying because of the surgery, it may be silly but it scares me silly....
I've lost the weight doing weight watchers. I attended the mettings for 12 weeks and the pain and heavy periods just got to be too much for me to sit there for 45 mins.If you miss a week of weight watchers you get charged an extra 5 dollars and that was getting costly...so I've been following the program myself and using the weightwatcher online site for support I think a weightloss thread would be a great idea for this site too. I also plan to eat alot lower point value (what weight watchers uses) during my recovery... right now I am eating 28-31 points.. I don't really know what that translates into calorically though but I eat three meals and two healthy snacks and stay away from processed foods as much as possible but do allow myself treats that are on program like no pudge fudge.. it is yummy lowfat brownie that is made with nofat yogurt and it is a mix... I am no betty crocker . I do know my weightloss will be at a standstill because if I don't exercise I see only about 1/2 a week loss if that. exercise is really the key for me.anyway I absolutely love this site and I am going to try and post as much as possiible..
thanks again...
kara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register