Am I getting impatient or what?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I getting impatient or what?! Am I getting impatient or what?!

Unread 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Am I getting impatient or what?!

My doctor recommended that I have a hysterectomy and bladder sling operation in August when I went to see him about problems that I have been having with spotting between periods, heavy bleeding, clotting, and pain. They performed a vaginal ultrasound and said that I have a fibroid (just one that they could see). I have a tipped and prolapsed uterus too. I've had all the children my husband and I plan to have (I'm 44 and our sons are grown). I have been on birth control pills for six years to control my periods, but for the past year or more, they haven't been controlling anything! Why be on birth control pills when I'm having all these problems? Then again, I think - what would it be like if I weren't on them! The doctor went ahead and did a uterine biopsy to make sure there was no cancer and that he could do a TVH leaving my ovaries and tubes. He told me he wanted me to come in on 9/12 to have tests run on my bladder (urodynamics). He asked his nurse to go ahead and schedule the surgery. I called several days later to find out when my surgery date was, and the nurse told me they were waiting until I had the bladder testing done. Okay - I can understand that. Well, it's been a week (tomorrow) since I had the bladder test done - so I decided to call the nurse again. Of course she was with a patient and the receptionist told me she'd call me back. Well, I haven't heard back from them yet (and their office is closed for the day now). I realize they have a busy practice, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just being impatient or if I need to be looking for another doctor? The doctor who delivered my youngest son did a hysterectomy on my sister-in-law not long ago and she had nothing but great things to say about him. I wasn't very fond of his bedside manner when he delivered my son, but he has 30 years of experience - my doctor has only 11. What do you think sisters???

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2008, 06:13 PM

I feel your pain, I've been waiting for almost 7 months now and I still haven't got a date yet I've thought about trying a new doc, but it's almost not worth losing the great doc that I have plus it probably would take twice as long. If you tried another doc would you have a longer wait than you are having now?Do you really want to give up your doc? I don't think that you are being impatient I knwo how it feels just to wnat to have it done and over with and not knowing and waiting are always the hardest to take. I would call them again first thing in the morning and see what they say..............
Unread 09-18-2008, 06:19 PM

If you feel are you are being ignored and tired of waiting I'd say try another doctor if you know the other person has a good relationship with that doctor. You can always just go for a 2nd opinion if your insurance covers it and then make up your mind between the 2 if it comes down to it.

My doctors nurse has been great with getting back to me. I've called 3 times between Aug 27th and today with questions and each time they've called me back the same day. She has been very respectful and doesn't seem frustrated with my questions.

If they don't get back to you know what will it be like after your surgery and you have a problem and need help?

Good luck I hope you find what you need and can be a peace with it.

Sue Huls
TVH with TVT sling Oct 7, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2008, 06:19 AM

I think that it's a good idea to get more than 1 opinion at any rate so I'd go ahead and make an appointment with another dr if it were myself

Best wishes.

S
Unread 09-19-2008, 06:51 AM

I would get a second opinion as well.

My first doctor, who is very experienced, etc., was going to do the surgery... the problem was his staff. They were very inflexible working with me, and it would take DAYS to get a phone call retured... I live in a different city than where he is located. It was a nightmare (and am still dealing with them believe it or not).

Because of the experience with the staff and their inability to work with me on finding a middle ground (had to do with the preop tests), I sought a second opinion where I currently live. I found a wonderful doctor who is attentive, more experienced, and his office staff is wonderful and very responsive.
Unread 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful input - that's why I LOVE this site! I still didn't hear back from the nurse today, so next week I think I'll call and schedule an apppointment with my former doctor to get a second opinion and also to see how I like him now - from what my sister-in-law said, he was very attentive and caring to her - who knows, maybe he's changed in eighteen years? Thank you all for listening to my rambling about my doubts. Best of luck to all of you who are still ladies-in-waiting like me - blessings to you and I wish you all a perfect surgery and a swift recovery time!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register