Hysterectomy Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed? Hysterectomy Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed?

Unread 05-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Hysterectomy Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed?

Greetings all,

I am not sure if this forum is actually active. Looks like there are two auto responses to when someone posts and not much else but here goes....

My surgery is scheduled for this coming Friday in two days time. My surgeon just called me as the Morcellator tool has now been taken off of the market by Johnson and Johnson and the procedure the way he usually does it will now have to change. I wanted to keep my cervix and ovaries. I now have the option for a balloon procedure through the vagina where they have to take the cervix or a procedure through a larger incision than originally planned in either the lover abdomen or the belly button where I can leave the cervix.

Any feedback from women who have had either or? Any advice on leaving the cervix and has anyone had any negative experiences in their sexual activity after healing from taking the cervix?

Thank you in advance! I need to make a decision today so quick advice is good.
Shekinah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Re: Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed?

I'm watching this with interest, because unfortunately I'm going to be faced with the same decision shortly. My dr is currently going to the hospital board for approval to use the morcellator, however I'm not even sure I want him to at this point - I have a large cyst, plus smaller ones, plus endometrial fibroids. From everything I've read, I strongly feel I'd like to keep my cervix. Therefore, I'm leaning toward the more difficult recovery of the laparotomy rather than having him remove everything through the vagina. I'm still rather freaked out after getting this news on Monday, trying to process everything and research. Good luck to you!
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Re: Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed?

We are live and active! We at HysterSisters are aware of the morcellation issue and are quite concerned that the banning of its use is taking away choices for many women. We do have some articles on the subject which I will link below. As for the question of leaving or taking the cervix, there is no consensus among doctors that one way or the other is better. Leaving the cervix does not necessarily prevent prolapse, and we have many members, myself included, who have no cervix who have had no trouble with prolapse. As far a sex goes, neither leaving nor taking the cervix guarantees no sexual problems after hysterectomy. Without my cervix, I am able to enjoy sex again. It had endometriosis implants on it, so having it bumped was awful. Be aware that some conditions including endo, some cancers, some fibroids, my grow on the cervix if it is left behind. On the other hand, women who keep their cervix don't usually have to wait so long to resume sexual activities. Unfortunately, now you may have to endure a longer healing process because morcellation is on hiatus. Please read the articles below. I hope they help:

Morcellation Risks

Morcellation and Hysterectomy

Purpose of Morcellation

Hope these help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Re: Hysterectomy Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed?

Hi Shekinah!
You are I are in almost exactly the same boat. My surgery is Friday also. Until this morning, my mind was made up to do the Lap Supracervical because I wanted to keep my cervix. But, this morning at my pre-op visit with my doctor, she informed me of the controversy involving the morcellators. She said that our hospital had not banned them yet, but she felt that it would happen soon. She said that we wouldn't know for sure if she could use one until Friday morning. So, I came home and started doing some research. I'm still trying to decide what to do. The story of the doctor that started this controversy is very compelling.
Unread 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Re: Hysterectomy Surgery Friday and the Morcellator conflict just changed my doctors plans on how to proceed?

I can't provide much input on the cervix issue (I'm having mine out) but I can provide some perspective regarding the morcellator issue. I just met (today) with my surgeon. She is a leader in the laparoscopic and robotic hysterectomy arena at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore. I am postmenopausal (63) and have fibroids (as well as an ongoing history of polyps and vaginal spotting - two hysteroscopies/D&C's etc). I am scheduling to move forward with my hysterectomy. We talked at great length about this issue (especially in light of my age). At Hopkins they continue to use morcellation - BUT ONLY in a bag. They are using special bags to totally enclose the tool when they get to the point of needing to break down the uterus to remove it. Nothing escapes the bag. She is very vocal and committed to her views (and those of her colleagues). Hopkins is participating in a large study that will be published shortly regarding the use of such bags. She is deeply committed to appropriate standards of care, and meticulous methods. She also pointed out her concern of the risk of increasing TAH's as the result of this debate - and she was armed with Hopkins info regarding what she sees in her practice as well as others as risks to TAH (if you don't need to take those risks). Her advice was to also carefully research the risks of more invasive surgery. She was also adamant about having a complete workup BEFORE your hysterectomy - to include MRI's (which can diagnose SOME uterine sarcomas), biopsies, etc. She makes every effort to remove the uterus whole, but when she cannot, she only dissects and morcellates inside one of these bags. I have made the decision to move forward with my laparascopic hysterectomy with her. I have been completely worked up diagnostically, she is brilliantly trained and has thousands of experiences (5 years) doing both lap and robotic hysts. When I look at all the factors (my age, the workup that has been done, her experience, the institution I am having it done at, AND the real risks of complications from a TAH (again at an older age), I am convinced this is the right decision for me ...and it was not a decision made lightly! Hope this is of interest to some of you.
Unread 05-15-2014, 01:25 PM

That's good information Allegra15. I think it's important for any and all information that's out there from reliable sources get out to women so that they can truly decide for themselves. I definitely felt some added stress because I had less than 2 days to decide what I wanted to do. I had educated myself about the morcellator, but as a case manager, I know that sometimes you can really freak yourself out with too much information. I trust my doctor, and sure enough, even though she didn't have to tell me what was going on, she did and I was able to make my own choice. For me, the issue was keeping the cervix. I wanted to. I have never had any issues with a bad pap in the past, I'm healthy and wanted to keep it. But, in my DAY of research, I found conflicting information and studies saying that there was no conclusive evidence that it made any difference with prolapse or sexual issues. My surgeon even offered the bag morcellation, but honestly...I was just too disturbed by the whole thing that I just decided to do the Vaginal Lap assisted method and remove the Morcellator issue from the equation. I'm only 6 days post op, so I can't say that I made the right choice completely, but so far so good. My one and only issue is a bladder (probably kidney) infection, and it is a beast. I've never experienced anything like this before. Temp as high as 102, chills and shaking to the point of lips turning blue and the feeling that I'm going to die and can't warm up. I'm totally fine during the day, but things go South between 5-7 pm in the evening. I made it through that time slot last night ok, but am still taking Advil to keep the fever down. Next step is a trip back to the hospital for IV antibiotics if this doesn't work, so I'm praying that it does. I've never had a bladder infection that doesn't respond almost immediately to antibiotics. I'm puzzled...I suppose the trauma that my body is in from the surgery isn't letting me heal. I don't know. I'm a slight health nut, so this infection is really hurting my feelings.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register