Consulting with Doctor in 2 days (fibroid) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Consulting with Doctor in 2 days (fibroid) Consulting with Doctor in 2 days (fibroid)

Unread 11-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Re: Consulting with Doctor in 2 days (fibroid)

I had my appointment with my doctor - it was a short one; she was actually run over by a car early this year, and has just returned, so she is very busy (but very supportive). She wants me to have another ultrasound to get an current idea of 'what's going on in there' - the large fibroid was first noticed about 4 years ago, then a year ago she discovered I was anemic and sent me for an ultrasound which showed that the fibroid was continuing to grow. She mentioned the possibility of using the Mirena IUD to slow my flow. I do not favour that route - even though I have always had an extreme fear of surgery, I feel like a LAVH is my preferred choice. During the last ten years on birth control, I suffered from alopecia (hair loss) so bad that it caused severe depression, along with suicidal thoughts, weight gain, lethargy, etc. Reading all the other possible side effects of Mirena (including perforating the uterus, and migrating to other organs), as well as hair loss, weight gain, moodiness, depression and anxiety - well, I already have those symptoms with my fibroid pain and bleeding. To keep the fibroid, uterus and add a foreign device and hormones which may or may not solve the problem, and may exacerbate my conditions. So - she's given me a referral for an ultrasound and a mammogram (I had a huge scare last year with a lump in my breast, and a bunch of tests following that - all of which came back clear, so I promptly forgot about it). Once I've been 'scanned', I'll return to her with the results and when she again brings up the option of the IUD, I'm going to request the surgery instead. If you knew me, you'd know just how serious this is - because I will do ANYTHING to avoid surgery. But I'm at the point, I don't want something that MIGHT work. I need something that WILL work. I am never having children, my period with the fibroid is now making at least half of every month unbearable, and the other half is spent worrying about it, or researching how to fix it. I feel like I've lost myself, and I'm so tired. Thanks to all the reading material here, I've found out a lot of what might be best for me (hoping to have the least invasive procedure, keep my ovaries and cervix), and all the prep and post care I should get in order. Please keep me posted, JChaney - hope you get some satisfaction at your appointment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2015, 08:22 AM

I had my appointment with my doctor - it was a short one; she was actually run over by a car early this year, and has just returned, so she is very busy (but very supportive). She wants me to have another ultrasound to get an current idea of 'what's going on in there' - the large fibroid was first noticed about 4 years ago, then a year ago she discovered I was anemic and sent me for an ultrasound which showed that the fibroid was continuing to grow. She mentioned the possibility of using the Mirena IUD to slow my flow. I do not favour that route - even though I have always had an extreme fear of surgery, I feel like a LAVH is my preferred choice. During the last ten years on birth control, I suffered from alopecia (hair loss) so bad that it caused severe depression, along with suicidal thoughts, weight gain, lethargy, etc. Reading all the other possible side effects of Mirena (including perforating the uterus, and migrating to other organs), as well as hair loss, weight gain, moodiness, depression and anxiety - well, I already have those symptoms with my fibroid pain and bleeding. To keep the fibroid, my uterus and add a foreign device and hormones which may or may not solve the problem, and may exacerbate my conditions just seems like an unnecessary gamble for me. So - she's given me a referral for an ultrasound and a mammogram (I had a huge scare last year with a lump in my breast, and a bunch of tests following that - all of which came back clear, so I promptly forgot about it). Once I've been 'scanned', I'll return to her with the results and when she again brings up the option of the IUD, I'm going to request the surgery instead. If you knew me, you'd know just how serious this is - because I will do ANYTHING to avoid surgery. But I'm at the point, I don't want something that MIGHT work. I need something that WILL work. I am never having children, my period with the fibroid is now making at least half of every month unbearable, and the other half is spent worrying about it, or researching how to fix it. I feel like I've lost myself, and I'm so tired. Thanks to all the reading material here, I've found out a lot of what might be best for me (hoping to have the least invasive procedure, keep my ovaries and cervix), and all the prep and post care I should get in order. So I feel well armed for this conversation. Please keep me posted, JChaney - hope you get some satisfaction at your appointment
Unread 11-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Consulting with Doctor in 2 days (fibroid)

Are you confident with this doctor and of not are you able to find another doctor. I had to drive out of state to find the doctor I saw yesterday because I didn't like the doctors I saw in this state. I was satisfied with this doctor yesterday. He was very confident and knowledgable and addressed all my concerns. I scheduled surgery on Jan 19 with him. I'm not a candidate for LAVH because of the size of my fibroids which I read up on and knew that wouldn't be possibility. I just didn't want vertical incision and he's confident they won't need to do that.

I worry about you. What kind of support system do you have outside of this group? You sound frustrated and mentally and emotionally exhausted. Please take care. Hugs to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostalice View Post
I had my appointment with my doctor - it was a short one; she was actually run over by a car early this year, and has just returned, so she is very busy (but very supportive). She wants me to have another ultrasound to get an current idea of 'what's going on in there' - the large fibroid was first noticed about 4 years ago, then a year ago she discovered I was anemic and sent me for an ultrasound which showed that the fibroid was continuing to grow. She mentioned the possibility of using the Mirena IUD to slow my flow. I do not favour that route - even though I have always had an extreme fear of surgery, I feel like a LAVH is my preferred choice. During the last ten years on birth control, I suffered from alopecia (hair loss) so bad that it caused severe depression, along with suicidal thoughts, weight gain, lethargy, etc. Reading all the other possible side effects of Mirena (including perforating the uterus, and migrating to other organs), as well as hair loss, weight gain, moodiness, anxiety, depression and anxiety - well, I already have those symptoms with my fibroid pain and bleeding. To keep the fibroid, uterus and add a foreign device and hormones which may or may not solve the problem, and may exacerbate my conditions. So - she's given me a referral for an ultrasound and a mammogram (I had a huge scare last year with a lump in my breast, and a bunch of tests following that - all of which came back clear, so I promptly forgot about it). Once I've been 'scanned', I'll return to her with the results and when she again brings up the option of the IUD, I'm going to request the surgery instead. If you knew me, you'd know just how serious this is - because I will do ANYTHING to avoid surgery. But I'm at the point, I don't want something that MIGHT work. I need something that WILL work. I am never having children, my period with the fibroid is now making at least half of every month unbearable, and the other half is spent worrying about it, or researching how to fix it. I feel like I've lost myself, and I'm so tired. Thanks to all the reading material here, I've found out a lot of what might be best for me (hoping to have the least invasive procedure, keep my ovaries and cervix), and all the prep and post care I should get in order. Please keep me posted, JChaney - hope you get some satisfaction at your appointment
Unread 11-20-2015, 08:41 AM

I hope you are able to get the resolution you prefer for all this. But do be prepared that some of the factors you are dealing with may limit your options in terms of type of surgery (I was not a good candidate for anything but abdominal). I always trusted my doctor's input as I knew she did not rush to recommend *any* surgery -- so when she explained why she wanted to do abdominal surgery, and why she wanted to use a vertical incision, I was on board with her reasoning.

She explained the risks (minimal) of keeping my ovaries and the possibility (small) that could lead to a future procedure, but even though I'm supposed to start menopause any time now, I really did not want to take on surgical menopause if I had the option to avoid it. She understood and supported my decision.

I was on the fence about asking to keep my cervix, but after doing some research on my own, I was not convinced there was much difference in long-term outcomes or clear benefits in all cases, so I decided to go with the original recommendation of a total hyst. Personal decision there.

I did not have to lobby for the surgery itself (I was the one who had to be convinced) -- so I hope if you feel so strongly it is what you need, that your doctor understands and approves the procedure based on these upcoming test results. If not...seek out a second opinion!

Good luck!
Unread 11-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChaney View Post
Are you confident with this doctor and of not are you able to find another doctor. I had to drive out of state to find the doctor I saw yesterday because I didn't like the doctors I saw in this state. I was satisfied with this doctor yesterday. He was very confident and knowledgable and addressed all my concerns. I scheduled surgery on Jan 19 with him. I'm not a candidate for LAVH because of the size of my fibroids which I read up on and knew that wouldn't be possibility. I just didn't want vertical incision and he's confident they won't need to do that.

I worry about you. What kind of support system do you have outside of this group? You sound frustrated and mentally and emotionally exhausted. Please take care. Hugs to you.
Thank you JChaney - I really appreciate your input here. I have had this doctor for over 20 years, and I really do trust her. She has helped me through a LOT over these years, and really knows me. In fact, I think she's suggesting the IUD because of my surgery fears. I have not yet told her of my desire to have the surgery. Also, she is my family doctor, so I know once the ultrasound results are back, she'll be referring me to a gynecologist - that is the one I'll need to be frank with about my wishes. I do have a support system - my husband is very supportive, and my mother and grandmother are good listeners. My mother had a total hysterectomy, while my grandmother waited and now suffers from prolapsed uterus, etc - which completely ruins her quality of life, so she is adamant I should "Have it all taken out!" She is now past the age of being a candidate for that sort of surgery, her doctors tell her the tissue is too fine, and won't heal, so she's left with the mesh option, and hates it. Thanks again for listening - and I'm really glad your appointment went well...January 19th! I sure hope you are willing to keep me updated with your journey, it would be great to hear how things go with you.
Unread 11-20-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNash View Post
I hope you are able to get the resolution you prefer for all this. But do be prepared that some of the factors you are dealing with may limit your options in terms of type of surgery (I was not a good candidate for anything but abdominal). I always trusted my doctor's input as I knew she did not rush to recommend *any* surgery -- so when she explained why she wanted to do abdominal surgery, and why she wanted to use a vertical incision, I was on board with her reasoning.

She explained the risks (minimal) of keeping my ovaries and the possibility (small) that could lead to a future procedure, but even though I'm supposed to start menopause any time now, I really did not want to take on surgical menopause if I had the option to avoid it. She understood and supported my decision.

I was on the fence about asking to keep my cervix, but after doing some research on my own, I was not convinced there was much difference in long-term outcomes or clear benefits in all cases, so I decided to go with the original recommendation of a total hyst. Personal decision there.

I did not have to lobby for the surgery itself (I was the one who had to be convinced) -- so I hope if you feel so strongly it is what you need, that your doctor understands and approves the procedure based on these upcoming test results. If not...seek out a second opinion!

Good luck!
Hi PNash - thank you. Thanks to this site and all of you contributing, I do realize that I may have limitations to my options - depending on the size of my fibroid, etc, so I'll be going into discussions prepared for possible disappointment/realignment of my expectations. Better than getting the blow, cold turkey! I would like to keep my ovaries (ovarian cancer is a low risk for me and my family) to help in the hormone production, delaying menopause, etc. I would also like to keep my cervix (same low risk of cervical cancer) and from what I've read on here and other sites, keeping the cervix seems to lower recovery time, and may help in retaining the quality of orgasms. Sorry if that's TMI, but I really enjoy my current sex life, and it's one of the free pleasures in this world - I'd like to keep it My doctor is extremely supportive, and I'm sure if I voiced my preference, she'd be behind it - in fact, I believe she's not recommending surgery based on her knowledge of my fear of it. Once my ultrasound results are back, she will confer with me and then refer me to a gynecologist, as she is only my general practitioner (although, she's been much more to me over the years). Thanks again for all your support and advice, I really appreciate it.
Unread 11-20-2015, 04:20 PM

AlmostAlice,
I am so happy for you to hear that you have a wonderful support system. Stay in touch and keep me posted. I'm sure I'm gonna get more nervous the closer my surgery date is, but feel much better after my appt yesterday and scheduled surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register