My surgery is in just over a week and I want to cancel... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My surgery is in just over a week and I want to cancel... My surgery is in just over a week and I want to cancel...

Unread 07-22-2013, 10:03 PM
My surgery is in just over a week and I want to cancel...

I just got hit with a huge case of nerves and i thought i had made peace with it. I am so afraid I will feel worse afterwards considering I'm going on hrt. I know I will be relieved of my heavy bleeding, painful, long periods. And I will reduce my breast cancer risk. But I'm having second thoughts. I read all the stories about women having a hard time adjusting to HRT. I so hope it goes smoothly for me. I'm way more worried about that then the actual surgery, recovery or pain. Thanks for listening....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Re: My surgery is in just over a week and I want to cancel...

Im also having mixed emotions so you are not alone. I was so ready for this and now Im a bunch of nerves as well.
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:20 PM

I too wanted to cancel my surgery when it finally hit me. Your doing this to make you better. Some women do have trouble adjusting and some don't. I am so glad I didn't cancel. I too had horrible pain and bleeding before surgery but since surgery I haven't. I finally know what it feels like to go a full month without bleeding most of the time. I feel free. It is the best decision I ever made. No one can make you do something you don't want to do but remember the reason why you need this. For me recovery has not been bad at all. For me I haven't regret my decision. Have you gone for a second opinion? Maybe that might help you more. Even the week before surgery I was asking myself if this is the right choice and even tried to get out of it but I was reminded why I needed it and would feel better after it. We all know how you feel. You can do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2013, 11:29 PM

Ok, having ovaries is definitely better than doing HRT, but if your ovaries are diseased and causing you pain or are jeopardizing your life, then doing HRT is the better alternative. I absolutely feel better now than I felt before my surgery, much much better. So far, it's been a good decision, even with all the adjustments I've had to make with HRT. It would be worse without HRT for me. I wish I still had at least one ovary, but I surely don't want to go back to the pain, the bloating, the bleeding, and the misery my life was. HRT isn't that bad in comparison. For some women, adjustments are not too difficult. It was easy for me for a couple of months. If you are really concerned over whether or not you are doing the right thing, get a second or third opinion. Either way, it may ease your mind.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:26 AM

i am keeping one ovary. i am not a candidate for HRT. One ovary had polyps on it and spots so thats going......the other one is fine. I also am having so much anxiety over this. i thought about canceling at my pre op last week. but honestly. i dont want the monthly pain anymore. i know the recovery will be oh so not fun but thats okay. just get it done and get well!!!! then enjoy life.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM

This OB/GYN is my second opinion. My original OB is retiring so I had to had to find a we one. I had been asking the old one for years about my fibroids and painfully long and heavy periods but he said he wouldn't do a hysterectomy unless I had grapefruit or larger sized fibroids :s. and when I asked him for help with perimenopause he said exercise. I loved him as an OB but I obviously stayed too long. The new one was concerned about my mom having both breast and colon cancer (she survived both) and wants to take the fibroids out while they can still come out via DvH. Granted this guy is the leader in DvH surgery in the area and wants to use his toy whenever he can. That crossed my mind too. But I ran this by my GP and another dr I have and both said they felt given my family cancer risk and my mom hemorrhaging from fibroids it was good I was taking care of this when I was healthy and not when it was an emergency. My mom had her hysterectomy at 46, 2 years older than me now. She went on HRT, even though she had had breast cancer and did great. No issues with it and also no return of cancer (it had been 16 years since her cancer). I'm just a worry wart. I have anxiety anyway. I never had any issues going on birth control pills so I'm guessing my body will will be fine with estrogen since bcp has high estrogen. I already know what fluctuating estrogen feels like since I'm in peri hell right now. Thanks for listening girls. I also think I have post vacation blues so that is adding to this too....
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM

It is just me or is it the male obs that dont "get it" and the female ones that seem to want to take care of the issues in the here and now? I'm very glad you got your second opinion. I'm scared too. Feel free to contact me anytime. mine is thursday.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Everyone always gets anxiety before a hysterectomy. I suffer from bad panic attacks so my doctor gave anxiety medicine to help a few days before surgery and it did help. Have you talked to your doctor about your anxiety? Once it is done and over with you will be so relieved. You don't want to keep your body going through the horrible pains and bleeding anymore. Time to get your life back. You can do this
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:54 AM

It was more my "old" fashioned one didn't get it. My new on is still male but he's about 30 years younger. I've never had a female OB/GYN.
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:01 AM

I feel the same way and it's funny I havnt. Really been in any pain or discomfort lately so I am wondering if I should put myself through this at all although I am getting ready for my final period so we will see how I feel afterwards

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register