The Upside, at 4 Weeks Post-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Upside, at 4 Weeks Post-Op The Upside, at 4 Weeks Post-Op

Unread 06-02-2005, 02:31 PM
The Upside, at 4 Weeks Post-Op

I had my 4 week check-up yesterday. DH had kept his calendar clear, but I didn’t need him to drive me, so he got to spend the time attending to things at his office and I got to drive myself to the doctor’s office…..with the travel pillow for my belly and the seat belt. It felt soooo good to drive myself.

The external incision on my lower abd (bikini cut that resembles a 10” smiley face) has completely closed. Yippee, no more cleansing it with hydrogen peroxide twice a day! My vaginal cuff looks good, although it has still not healed completely. I can now soak in the tub, although I still can’t have intercourse. She suggested that I soak with Epsom Salts to ease the soreness and swelling in my lower belly. My doctor says I’m coming along well, but that I still have a ways to go.

I phoned my husband to give him a quick update. Then I headed off to do a bit of shopping. I’ve yet to find panties that feel good, so I bought myself some ‘boy cut’ briefs two sizes larger than normal. I also discovered that the sun dresses I bought are sheer…and my slip no longer fits. So I found some slips and as a bonus bought a pair of loose fitting pants and a pair of running shorts that will accommodate my swelly belly.

I met my husband back at our house. He took me out to dinner for the first time since my surgery. We had a great time together.

I went all day without any pain medication at all. I didn’t want to mask swelling or pain in case I over did it. I did take a dose of ibuprofen before going to bed because I was a little sore. I expected to ‘pay for’ my adventures today. But aside from getting a slow start this morning I’m feeling terrific. I’m a bit sore but no where near as sore as I was just three days ago. I’m still being a good princess, but I’m so happy that I can get out and about a bit and still feel so good.

Yippee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 02:35 PM

Isn't it wonderful to feel good again! Keep up the good work!
Unread 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Your surgery was the day before mine and I spent the day out yesterday. It felt good to be out and driving. I did not need a pillow for my tummy, but today I am bushed! I am not sore but today I just dont have any energy. Our house is for sell and we have a showing tonight so I have spend the day spiffing up. I bet I will sleep good tonight. Glad your Dr appt went so well. I can't wait till I am cleared to sit in the tub and relax. Hope you and your hubby had a good dinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 03:05 PM

I also had my 4 week check up, everything is healing nicely. I have a bikini cut , stitches are gone inside and out. I still have a lot of swelling around my abdomen, my Dr. said a soak in a hot tub and a heating pad will work wonders for the soreness and swelling. I have been given the go ahead to do whatever I want, when I am tired make sure I rest.I don't go back to the Dr's until August and that is just for my yearly checkup. I got my swelly belly band today, it helps with exercising and wearing drawstring pants that otherwise hurt my incision area, I recommend it highly.
I have a graduation to go to tomorrow so I treated myself to a very pretty loose fitting outfit, I can't wait to go out and feel semi normal again!
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM

My surgery was 2 days before yours and I had my 4 week follow up yesterday as well. I seem to be doing great! No pain meds at all this week just an occasional ibuprofen. My dr cleared me for sex so last night we did and it was a great relief that everything still works I know it's silly but I was really nervous, not about pain, but would the "Big O" be the same. It was wonderful!!! I was definetly a bit sorer today but not bad. I also went in to work for about 4 hours today. (and I'm pooped) I am a Real Estate Agent so I can go at my own pace and schedule, so for now I'll make the call day by day.
My biggest problem so far has been HRT. They put me on the Climara patch in the hospital and it wouldn't stay on. Next we tried Premarin and that gave me headaches once we got the dosage high enough to help my symptoms. Now we are trying the Vivelle dot which so far is staying on...so I'm crossing my fingers that this one will work, so far no headache today.
Thanks for being there every day for me my sisters!

Sherry
Unread 06-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Wow, is the incision really 10 inches?
I have been wondering how long it usually is. I was hoping for like 5 inches.
Unread 06-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Wow, is the incision really 10 inches?
I have been wondering how long it usually is. I was hoping for like 5 inches.
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:09 PM

Clancey,

My incision ended up longer that either the doctor or I expected. The surgery ended up being a bit more complex, my uterus was huge, plus my tummy is where I carry and extra pounds. I've read other posts where the Sisters wrote that their incision was smaller. I didn't figure out my was so big until I tried to use a 5x9" gauze dressing and the 9 inches didn't quite cover the incision...
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:36 PM

My incision is only 5 inches! And it's straight - no smiley I feel jiped! lol
Sherry
Unread 06-02-2005, 08:12 PM

My surgery was May 9th. I had a TAH-SBO with bladder repair. I am driving a couple times a week for short trips, maybe 10 miles from the house max. If I have to go further, my husband takes me. Since I got out of the hospital 5 days post op, I have been venturing out to the mall for a movie 2x per week. OF course I have been using a wheel chair to get across the mall and up 4 stories to the theater. Until last week when I started walking the trip.

I still get tired when I have left the house or cooked dinner, and rely on my afternoon nap every day. I have not taken anything for pain in the last 10 days easily.

My incision is about 8 or 9 inches long, I can't see it to measure it (laughing) Before surgery, I had a pooch, now I have a flap that folds over the incision!

I have lost 12 pounds as of today! I know it isn't much, but that is an average of 3 pounds per week which the doc says is a safe rate.

I do light housework, including straightening the house, making the bed, loading and unloading the dishwasher, cooking dinner, no vaccuming, sweeping, or taking out trash yet.

I am very ready to soak in a long bath or go swimming, but won't get an ok to do that until at least June 20th.

I would have to say that I am having a great recovery! Not sure that I will be ready to go back to work for full days, so I might do part time for a couple weeks, then swing back into full time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register