Had blood transfusion -- should I be worried now? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had blood transfusion -- should I be worried now? Had blood transfusion -- should I be worried now?

Unread 08-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Had blood transfusion -- should I be worried now?

I had a LAVH 3 July. I had an arterial bleed out post-op, nearly died, needed blood transfusions, and now sport my LAVH scars, but also a stomach drain and full Ceserian incision scars, along with loads of IV scars in both arms. It was a tough road. Back at work and trying to get back to "normal". Drain's out and the scars are closed and sealed. Doc has given me the green light to resume normal activities.

Last night, we had a "roll in the hay" for the first time. Small amount of bleeding, which I am sure is quite normal.

However, I had mentioned to Hubby, while in hospital, that we should probably use protection because of the blood transfusions, but he said no.

I am really feeling terrible and guilty about the chance of my transfusions being tainted. Prior to this, I had absolutely clean blood, in fact I used to donate my platelets and plasma to Stanford Blood Bank, and my products were used on preemies, cancer and at risk patients.

I have two follow up blood panels to come to ensure that my blood is clear of HIV and to ensure that my anemia is gone (a result of multiple blood transfusions post op).

Am I being a little too fanatical? My husband isn't worried at all and, coming from a place of nearly losing me forever, feels that being as close as possible (without barriers) is a celebration that I am alive. He wants nothing less. What do you think?

On another note....ladies, there's a lot of you that I have read about that are reluctant to fool around with your husband. There a hundred ways to be intimate and satisfy each other and nothing can be better for your marriage or your well-being. How much of a woman do we feel, when our man can't wait to be alone with us? I understand that you may be reluctant to do anything that might jeopardize your recovery and that's a valid and sensible point. But with so many ways to give and receive pleasure, there are ways to be intimate in a gentle way that won't damage your recovery. Please ladies, don't avoid this wonderful part of your relationship. Talk to hubby first, plan out how you want to enjoy each other, and then get out that Barry White album and light the candles. Let's face it, television is awful and there's only so many movie rentals you can get. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2007, 09:44 AM

Dr. says we can go for it in one more week. DH says he's not touching me until the sixth week, and he'll sleep on the couch if he has to. Chicken.

Eh, we're married. I can wait.
Unread 08-29-2007, 09:50 AM

I would think your doctor would have mentioned something about using a barrier birth control method for sex after a tranfusion if they thought it was necessary. You might want to call them and ask what they think. For your husband to say you need to be as close as possible, without barriers, might be irresponsible, depending on the circumstances. It reminds me of the sort of thing a teenager might say, you know? I hope all will be well with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM

GFae, we did discuss this with the doctor, she assures me that blood products in a first-world country like ours are extremely safe, and being a previous donor of many at risk patients, I know my own products have been through stringent tests before any patient received them. However, because we are both responsible people, I insisted on not one but two HIV tests to come next month and in January. My husband is not a callow youth, he's a man who has seen his wife nearly die. God willing, you never will experience this first hand (I pray you don't). I just worry, possibly unecessarily, about my husband's health.
Unread 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Then it is a decision you must both make together. "my husband said no," I don't know, that just bothers me. I'm sure you will be both be fine, you just have to decide what you are comfortable with. We take a risk every time we walk out of our front door each morning.
Unread 08-29-2007, 10:33 AM

From the American Red Cross FAQ's (http://www.redcross.org/faq/#379)

Can I get a disease if I give/receive blood?

Receiving blood: It is also safe to receive a blood transfusion. In fact, the risks of contracting a blood-borne disease through transfusion are far less than the risks of not receiving that transfusion at all. The nation's blood supply is safer today than it has ever been and is as safe as modern science and medicine can make it. The chance of contracting the virus that causes AIDS through a blood transfusion is 1 in 1.5 million.

As you can see the chance of contracting a disease are miniscule. Yes, there is a slight risk, a very slight risk. You have to make your own decision as to what to do and it sounds like you have as far as that risk is concerned. I would also say that if your husband is confident that he is safe, he is making an informed decision and you should allow him that.

I received 2 units back in the mid 90's and have not had any problems with that since then. No diseases or anything. Was able to give blood since then with no problems. If there was a problem, I would have been denied.

You ask if you are being fanatical, my simple answer is "yes." This is something that you and your husband have to work out along with the help of your doctor.

s
Jane
Unread 08-29-2007, 11:00 AM

I agree that the risk is small, but it is still there. Try telling anyone who's contracted a blood-borne illness that the risk was small and see if that changes the facts for them now. And it's not only HIV one might worry about, but about hepatitis, particularly B and C. I understand and appreciate your worry but if your husband, as a very willing and consenting adult, is willing to take that tiny risk for the sake of being with the woman he loves minus any barriers, then that it is his choice and ultimately his responsibility whatever happens. You've told him how you feel, he's made a choice....enjoy!
Unread 08-29-2007, 11:28 AM

This link tells what each unit is tested for.
http://www.redcross.org/services/bio...0_494_,00.html

Anyone who has donated blood also knows that risk factors for these diseases are what is focused on in the questions asked.

Here is a CDC site with information on blood safety:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa15.htm
and another story:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275268,00.html where it states that the risk is one in 2 milion.

I just want everyone to look at the facts and make an informed decision for themselves. I think it is good to look at how stringent the process is for accepting blood donations. Yet, if having the blood tests to make sure you did not contract a disease is what makes you comfortable, then do it for your peace of mind.
Unread 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

slconstable,

You asked for opinions of others. But it seems that you didn't really want to hear them. GFae made a good point about using extra protection since you were worried. You had already spoken to your doctor about your fears and requested two HIV tests. Still, you had unprotected sex. I don't feel that you are in danger for doing that. But the fact that you may feel guilty isn't something we can really help you with. As jmberg has pointed out, the testing of blood products is very thorough in our country.

As Marisol52 pointed out, mistakes can be made.

It is up to each individual to be informed and make their own decisions about certain situations.

jmberg has offered great information. I hope that this, along with your doctor's assurances will make you feel better.

I needed six units of blood as my count was 3.7 when I arrived at the ER.
While in the hospital, I wasn't informed in detail about the transfusions. I depended on this site and others to find the answers to my questions.

I hope that you continue to seek our help and support. But please know that we all do have opinions and will give them when asked to do so.

I hope that your tests prove everything is A-OK!
Unread 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM

I had two transfusions after my myomectomy a few years ago. Though there was an ick factor, it was surpassed by the desperate need. I watched each drop of blood drip into me, and then when it was done, got up, showered and watched the sunrise.

Blood is carefully screened, examined, insured, tested, checked and so on, unless you are in some godforsaken backwater that does not even seem to have a medical system. However, if you are really concerned, get yourself tested again, and don't forget Hepatitus ABC, they are also blood borne.

We are not living in an era where these things are a prominant concern anymore, but anyone who lived through the Eighties and Nineties, and was not a small child for either decade, knows the horror of HIV/AIDS and it is quite natural to have the ick factor.

I did not get myself tested for anything after my transfusions...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register