Scheduled LAVH Doing this for "Pain Relief" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doing this for "Pain Relief" Doing this for "Pain Relief"

Unread 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Doing this for "Pain Relief"

I am new hereand I would like to know if anyone else has had this procedure LAVH for undiagnosed pain? I have had CT, Ultrasound and Cystoscopy along with countless blood and urine tests and exams and nobody seems to be able to tell me what is causing me so much pelvic pain. I have had this pain for years but in the last 2-3 months it has become unbearable. I have not had intercourse in months (panic for hubby) and I cannot sit long enough to do my job because the pain feels like a knife going from the vaginal opening up to my low belly. I would do anything to make is stop. I am 43 and had a tubal ligation at age 27 so children are not a consideration. My worries? Sex, general health and ability to be active. Any thoughts on this? I am not afraid or apprehensive but want to be well informed. Thanks for any info anyone can share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Re: Doing this for "Pain Relief"

How many doctor's have you been to see? Has anyone suggested that the tubal ligation could have left you with scar tissue and adhesions? I was asked if I had a tubal because I have severe pain, but I didn't. Has anyone checked to see if you have adenomyosis, MRI? I wouldn't feel comfortable getting this surgery without a diagnosis. Many other problems can mimic uterine pain and problems. I have done lots of reading, and it could be so many things. Have you had your GI system tested? I would get another opinion and want a diagnosis, because what if you get this done and you're still in pain? That has happened to many women. Please try to get a diagnosis, I think without it you are just taking a very big chance. I don't know how a doctor can even do the surgery without a diagnosis? I know my insurance wouldn't cover my surgery without knowing my diagnosis.
Best Wishes
alicia
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM

jemsgt
I agree with everything Alicia said. I couldn't have said it better.
You need to have other tests and a diagnosis.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 09:57 AM

jemsgt,
I totally agree with what has been posted so far. You need to know what is wrong before having a surgery like this. I am really surprised that your doctor is not doing more tests. I had severe pelvic pain in 2006 that they could not figure out what was wrong. Long story short, ended up in hospital unable to eat or drink. Requested a general surgeon who did exploratory laparoscopy and diagnosed endometriosis. I was on Lupron for three years before having the hyst. They had done trans vaginal ultrasounds prior to lap and couldn't see anything. You mention that you had a CT,ultrasound and a cystoscopy and also blood tests done but there is more testing they can do. There are so many things that can cause this type of pain not all related to gyn issues. I think that the more information you have, the better decision you can make. Don't be afraid to ask for more tests and see other doctors. I don't think that you want to do surgery to help this pain unless you are pretty sure it will take care of the pain. The worst thing would be to do the surgery only to discover that it didn't help the pain or problems. I know it can be frustrating trying to figure out what is wrong but the treatment for different conditions is so different. I would definitely ask for a second, third and even fourth opinion before doing a hysterectomy. Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Your situation sounds similar to what I've been dealing with. I am 41 and had a tubal when I was 30. However, I have had extreme pelvic pain, as well as sharp pain in my rectom and a dull achy pain under my right rib cage. I had numerous tests (CT scan, Ultrasounds..ect). They did see a cyst on my ovary, but other than that, nothing else was seen. The doctor suspects that it's endometriosis. The pain has been unbearable for the past several months and rarely have sex anymore too. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Friday. They are going to take out my uterus and cervix and will decide if the ovaries can be saved. I am just at the point to where I am so sick of the pain, I just want it all out. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-17-2010, 05:36 PM

JenB,
After reading what you wrote, I have some questions that you may want to think of. I know you are in a lot of pain, but have they tried any of the other treatments for endometriosis or cysts? I had horrible pain from the endo prior to being put on Lupron for three years. I know I did have a hysterectomy eventually but those three years of the Lupron were pain free until the meds quit working.
The Lupron also shrunk the endometriosis so that the surgery was easier to perform. I am not trying to talk you out of a hysterectomy but this is major surgery. I guess I wonder a little bit when you say the doctor suspects endometriosis. I am a little surprised he isn't doing an exploratory lap to rule out endo. I know what I have gone through recovering and would not want you to go through all this only to discover that the problems are still there because that wasn't the problem. Just a few things to think about. Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM

This is just my opinion as a fellow (((sister))) -- but I would not have a major surgery without a clear diagnosis and without being as sure as possible that the surgery would solve the problem being presented by the diagnosis.

Of course, there are no guarantees. But your pain could be caused by so many different things, and if your uterus isn't the culprit, a hysterectomy isn't going to solve anything.

I urge you to get another opinion, even if it means postponing your surgery for now. You can always have a hysterectomy in the future, but you won't be able to undo it once you've had the surgery.

I hope you get some good answers soon. Please let us know what you decide. We're always here for you.
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:46 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. Sadly, I have missed a ton of time from work and will probably lose my job and insurance if I don't get this fixed. The constant pain is causing problems in every aspect of my life and the Drs cannot find anything with a big long name so the diagnosis is pelvic pain. I am 43, have horrible periods that keep getting worse with each passing month. I am exhausted from running to Drs that keep sending me to another Dr and so on. I had a tubal ligation in 1994 so there is no sadness about child bearing or any of that. I just want my life back. I have had pain to some extent for about 6 years but it has been just the last 6 months or so that I have declined to this point. I am okay with the surgery and just very hopeful that I can keep one ovary. Again, thanks for the advice. I will need you all again post op for sure. I am so happy that I found this site, there are some scary things on the internet but I think it is mostly from people that are against this kind of surgery for one reason or another.
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Jemsgt what happens if your doctor gets in there and there is nothing wrong with your lady parts? Will he leave them or still take them? What if you find out later it is something else after he takes your lady parts? Is this just exploratory? Will your consent to surgery form allow for if nothing is wrong with you to not take your parts?
Are you willing to take this chance and then still need additional surgery on something else as well? It is ultimately your decision but it is a big risk and a hysterectomy has it's own risks.
Good luck to you no matter what you decide.
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM

jemsgt,
You sound like you are in a very difficult position with having to worry about your job as well as the surgery. I can't imagine having all the extra pressures that you are experiencing. I hope that you will feel better with the surgery. I do think a second opinion might help you but you sound like you have been sent back and forth to different doctors. I had this happen several years ago so I know that frustration you start to feel. It can be so aggravating. Sending you tons of hugs and hope that you will feel better. We are here for you through this whole process.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register