Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25

Unread 08-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25

Hi everyone my name is Leslie I am due to have my hysterectomy on August 25th 2016 at 8:30 in the morning. I will be having my uterus my fallopian tube and my cervix removed leaving my ovaries so that I can produce my own hormones I am only 45 years old will really I'll be 46 August 4th I am scared this is a very major surgery in my life I don't know how I will feel after and I don't know how I feel now I could use some support I've been going through a lot since I found out that I have fibroids in my stomach. I have about 5 fibroids and I have an enlarged uterus I need some support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Re: New to the hysterectomy community

and you got it, Sister!

This was my first major surgery, too. (Well, I had my tonsils taken out when I was 5, but that was 49 years ago and didn't represent my adult life.) I'd lived with a fibroid for 17 years. My doc of 25 years took me off BC and gave me a prescription for bone loss prevention due to my age. I opted to wait and see what my body did. After four months of erratic heavy bleeding anywhere from 13-54 days apart, I finally went in for an ultrasound in late March, and doc found that the fibroid had doubled in size from 5mm to 10mm in 4 months and had acquired some rowdy roommates. During the consultation after my pelvic, he simply asked "So, when do you want to schedule your hysterectomy?" I laughed, knowing he was serious, but reflecting on how unexpected it was - for both of us. After surgery, he told me he lost count of the fibroids after 15! I measured about 12 weeks gestation, and since then a number of sub-problems (leaky bladder, loose bowels) have completely disappeared.

Keep busy beforehand to stave off the nerves, and ask questions - both here and of your doctor. Here are some links to help you get started:
10 Tips for Preparing
Preparing for a Hysterectomy Splash Page

Also, my absolute favorite resource has been the free booklet What 350,000 Women Know... downloadable guide - indispensable!
Best wishes - one day at a time, dear Sister!
Unread 08-03-2016, 07:48 PM

Hi Wisdom04 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

Having a hysterectomy is such an overwhelming experience. Your fears, feelings and emotions are very normal. It is scary having surgery, but especially THIS surgery. This is a very tough surgery to face and digest. And all the unknowns after surgery make it that much harder.

Know that the doctors and nurses will take very good care of you. They will watch over you and monitor you closely. Probably at no other time are you the center of such attention.

You may want to read through If Your Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery | Parts 1, 2 and 3. It will give you some information on procedures, etc.

I several times before my hysterectomy, and many more times after. I did not want this surgery, but it was the best option given my circumstances. Recovery takes time - both physically and emotionally.

Just know that it is okay to feel sad, scared, and upset by this surgery. We understand what you are going through, and are here to support you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25

Hi Leslie welcome to HysterSister!
I understand your concerns. Here's what I've learned since my surgery 7/21/16 and I'm 44. You are NOT alone. It's ok to have a buffet of emotions. You made a good decision. This is the best and safest place to share alllll of your journey. You can never ask to many questions or posts. Take some time to read through the booklet, forums, and watch a video. Thank you for allowing us to walk with you.
Sisterly,
Unread 08-03-2016, 10:30 PM

and to HysterSisters! I will be your Sunshine Sister on the recovery report thread when you are on the other side of surgery. Everything you are feeling is very normal. This is major surgery, as you mentioned, and it can be very daunting to face. I had my Hysterectomy for a different reason (severe Endometriosis), but I can relate to your anxiety. I didn't start to get nervous until about a week before surgery.

The best thing you can do is to start preparing your home for recovery. This will give you something to focus on other than your anxiety and keep you busy. Now is a good time to do some deep cleaning, go shopping for items that will be useful during recovery, preparing make ahead freezer meals, etc. Make sure to take some time out and do something enjoyable to treat yourself too. This is an awesome community and you will find a lot of support from many like-minded women. I hope the next few weeks fly by for you. You will be on the other side before you know it!

Unread 08-04-2016, 05:45 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25

I'm 43 and scheduled for 9-1. Some days I'm freaking out and other days I'm like no big deal. I'm worried about pain and what I might say coming out of anesthesia I also wonder how long I'm gonna feel crummy for. I know I can't keep this whopper uterus but with a little lupron I'm feeling pretty good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register