How many weeks of help did you have? (kids mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many weeks of help did you have? (kids mentioned) How many weeks of help did you have? (kids mentioned)

Unread 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM
How many weeks of help did you have? (kids mentioned)

Well I thought I was going to have almost 5 weeks of help after my surgery, but my Step Mom said yesterday that her and my Dad may not come back after my Hubby goes back to work. Which will only be 2 1/2 weeks out from my surgery. I understand I will be feeling better, but I have to small children ages 3 and 4 1/2, the 3 yr old still needs lifting from time to time as she is so tiny, UGH UGH UGH. I got my Dad alone and asked about this, since they HAD TOLD me the would be back for a week or 2 after hubby went back to work. My Dad said if I needed him he would come by himself. OK COOOOOOL I am going to talk to him tonight and just let him know YES I will need you that week for sure, that way by the time he went home, I would be almost into my 4th week of recovery.

Thanks for letting me vent ladies.

ANY ADVICE on how you did it or how you will do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM

watching this thread!
Unread 03-16-2008, 09:58 AM

I'm watching too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2008, 02:11 PM

I'm not really sure how much help you will need. I am having a laprascopic via the tummy.....nothing coming out of the vagina & was thinking I would only need about 10 days or so. If I had a full abdominal, I was thinking a full 2 weeks. My dd is 4 & only weighs 30 lbs. but I really don't pick her up much excpet for getting in & out of her car seat which she can easily crawl into. I hold her but mostly when sitting down.

I would be very interested in what others say about how much help is needed. My help will be coming from IN to TX so I need to have a pretty solid plan.

That said, if your Dad is willing to come hlep out, TAKE HIM UP ON IT!!!! :-)

Pam
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:32 PM

I too have a 30lb 4 year old and will lose my help only 1.5 weeks in. My hubby works offshore and I chose to have surgery while he was home (he wants to be there and is quite worried and I need him by myside).
Im not sure how things are going to work out yet. My father is disabled and lives about 45 min away so Im sure if nothing else, that I can get him to come and watch the kiddo while Im resting.
Im really hoping to get back to work quickly but we shall see!
Unread 03-16-2008, 02:35 PM

As of right now, me, and my 3 girls will be staying wtih my parents for about 2 weeks (we will base more on how I feel) after mine (due my husband's work hours) I will go home on weekends, since he will be home all day.

My dad will be getting the girls (2 of them) ready for school and take them to our bus stop. Thank goodness they are only a mile from my house.
Unread 03-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Hi
I want to warn all of you to take the restriction on lifting more than 10 lbs very seriously. Lifting heavy things (or even light things at funny angles) can cause "microtears" inside you that are mini wounds that create scarring or adhesions. If they are around your bowel, the adhesions can constrict your bowel and can force emergency surgery. My mom had a hysterectomy 15 years ago, and ended up with bowel adhesions about a year later (although they weren't correctly diagnosed until four years ago, when she had emergencysurgery.) Please read the post-op section on overdoing it and adhesions.

I have older kids, (16 and 10) so I was able to get them to do a lot of the casual lifting around the house like carrying laundry up and down , taking out the trash, or putting full pots of water on the stove when DH wasn't there. I don't know what I would have done with small kids--I would probably have considered putting the little ones' mattress on the floor and lying with them to go to sleep. But even so, its really hard to handle a small kid (say if they need diapering)--I would think it would be important for you to have help durin gthe waking hours for the full time you have lifting restrictions (which will vary depending on your surgery--I had a SAH and had lifting restrictions for 6 weeks.)
I feel a bit of a fool sometimes making the kids lift stuff, but I would rather do that than have another surgery, and then another and another (if you are prone to adhesions, any surgery including surgery to remove adhesions can create more adhesions and problems.) And the one or two times I tried lifting stuff even close to my 10 lb limit I could feel it in my abdomen.

Some other ideas might include hiring a local preteen or teen to help you by doing teh baby lifting--afterall, you would be home the whole time, so they dont' need the kind of judgment and experience of a babysitter you would leave alone with the kids?
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks so much ladies for all the info, I will let my family KNOW how improtant it is that I DO NOT LIFT
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Me too

I think you and I are in the same boat...
I'm having the recto. TVH, Vaginal vault repair, the perri. reconstructed, and they will put the camera in my bladder to see how much they must do there...
I have a 25 lb 10 month old baby, a 2 1/2 year old (potty training), 10 and 12 year old too...
I'm trying to set up everything...but feel like I'm flying blind. My insurance company said they will only allow one day in the castle..so they must think it's no big deal.
This forum is leading me to believe this combo is a big deal. I'm so scared that I won't be able to cuddle my baby .

I'm thinking about you-I think we're in the same time zone. Please let us all know how you're doing.

Blessings on your whole family-
Sammantha
Southwest Washington
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:30 PM

wow! a couple of wa ladies, huh? cool! i have a 2 1/2 year old and a five year old. i am worried about the 2 yo since he won't allow anyone else to carry him or get him in/out of his car seat, etc. he will if i am not around, so i guess i will just have to be absent anytime he needs lifted? ugh luckily i will have dh for 2 weeks for sure and more if need be and my mil will be staying with us for as long as i need as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register