Has anyone had severe heartburn since the hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had severe heartburn since the hysterectomy? Has anyone had severe heartburn since the hysterectomy?

Unread 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Has anyone had severe heartburn since the hysterectomy?

I ended up having a strep infection two days after my hysterectomy. My eating is just now getting back to "normal" but since beginning to eat normally I have had burning in my throat all the way to my stomach.

Has anyone else had this? What helped? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Re: Has anyone had severe heartburn since the hysterectomy?

I haven't personnally experienced this but have a co-worker who had a hyster and developped heartburn afterward. What her doctor found was that her esophogus was nicked from the tube during surgery. If it continues, please talk to a doctor about it. You don't want to let it go untreated.
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Yes!..5 days post op..taking Tums for right now...will follow up with dr 10/1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Hi Dr Pepper, I'm so sorry about the strep infection & now the HB on top of trying to heal.

I see you had a TVH as I did. One of my big concerns with TVH was my previous Hiatus Hernia that I keep under control. Being in that position (kind of rolled up) for so long, I was concerned that it could push my stomach back up through my diaphram into my chest cavity, giving me HB & chest pains.

Have you ever had a HH (before TVH) w/ heartburn?

Back when I had constant heartburn and didn't get much help from OTC,s or prescriptions; I put 2+2 together, knowing that many meds like Tums... had high amounts of Calcium as an active ingredient. So I started eating 2 yogurts a day and in short order the HB went away.(I was amazed cause I had HB daily for so long) The problem was, my next blood work showed high cholesterol. What a shock I was eating so healthy! I looked at the yogurt ingredients and was shocked to see that the sweetner used was high fructose corn syrup!!!

Our bodies don't know how to properly assimilate that. So I made sure my future yogurts are sweetened w/ sugar or real maple syrup.(my cholesterol came back down) I rarely have heartburn still 8 yr.s later. My Dr. says the good bacteria in yogurt must have helped too.

(((If your Dr. ever says you have a HH I've learned a great way to pull my stomach back down.)))

But that is how I finally got rid of my heart burn. Thank God the TVH didn't start it up all again for me. I hope the rest of your recovery is going smoothly. Keep us updated.
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:51 AM

Thanks everyone.

I have never been known to have a hernia.

I did think of something last night that may be the cause though. I am borderline Type 2 diabetic and my mom bought me some sugar free throat lozenges. As I was sucking on one last night, it hit me that something in the cough drop may be causing it.

The reason I was alerted was the last time I had some of these sugar free cough drops, they caused me to have terrible stomach aches.

Yesterday I has sucked on three of them and that could of very well caused the hb. I hope that was all it was.

Thanks for the concern.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register